Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

lol. He was in the AA sguad and pretty ******* close to the final 22.

I don't know how you can say he isn't serious about being a footballer
I didn't fall into the trap that he was remotely close to AA form.

His disposal efficiency was rated below average for a guy that was used as a quarterback while Salem was out.

I mean, the guy has never had a top 4 best and fairest finish, so apologies if I expect much more from a pick 3 who got a 6 year daylight robbery contract.

lol. He was in the AA sguad and pretty ******* close to the final 22.

I don't know how you can say he isn't serious about being a footballer
Alot of talk in the media he wasn't fit enough to run with neale all game that's why they changed him with sparrow.
Look at his body shap and tell me he's an elite athlete

I don't see it..I think we need to play the Spargo/ANB/Jordan types to cover for the overly aggressive poorly defensive midfield we have. Sounds great in theory to chuck them out and get attacking flankers but that might make us even shitter defensively.

Tend to agree that's the line of thinking from our coaches but that attitude and strategy was nowhere near good enough this year and won't be next year.

For one thing, when you look at the pressure Collingwood and Sydney are applying, we're just not up to scratch. Spargo, Sparrow, Pickett, ANB are not bringing anywhere near that level of pressure anymore because they're being outnumbered and outmarked whenever the ball if forward of centre. In my eyes our half forwards are doing a lot of running around for minimal results in terms of causing turnovers, laying effective tackles and locking the ball in forward 50. Neither are they taking enough of the chances they do get in front of goal.

The problem really sets in when the opposition gets forward 50 entries and stoppages. All our half forwards go up to 'help' but all they tend to do is loiter around the defensive 50m line and the ball gets hacked out over their head or in the vicinity of Spargo and ANB who get out marked.

Once we start conceding territory we never get out of it and can't transition the ball upfield, that's the story of our second halves this year. The 2021 strategy of transitioning all the way up the field from defence with Langdon being allowed to overlap run and forwards getting in behind the defence has been worked out.

A better mix would be one half-forward with good defensive/midfield attributes like Harmes to go down and help, and for the other forwards to be stronger aerial players who can hold their positions further up the ground - Trac, Kosi, JVR, Fritsch and hopefully a Gunston or similar. And then back our gun mids and our (hopefully) attacking half backs to get it out of D50 to those players.

Alot of talk in the media he wasn't fit enough to run with neale all game that's why they changed him with sparrow.

One of the hard decisions they have to make is who accompanies Oliver and Trac (when he's in there) in the midfield.

Viney with the ball in his hands in D50 is a liability, Brayshaw no better, Trac statistically terrible. Jordon and Sparrow don't seem to be the answer. Neither is that group going to be any good at defending opposition takeaways, once they lose a clearance they pretty much stand still.

Need to find someone to add into the mix who is either has elite foot skills or elite defensive pressure. Both is probably too much to ask

One of the hard decisions they have to make is who accompanies Oliver and Trac (when he's in there) in the midfield.

Viney with the ball in his hands in D50 is a liability, Brayshaw no better, Trac statistically terrible. Jordon and Sparrow don't seem to be the answer. Neither is that group going to be any good at defending opposition takeaways, once they lose a clearance they pretty much stand still.

Need to find someone to add into the mix who is either has elite foot skills or elite defensive pressure. Both is probably too much to ask
Probably too much for both, but why not Rivers/Pickett/Langdon etc. Someone who's first instinct is to get outside the pack

Didn’t he keep up with Neale a fortnight ago? The media is full of shit

Strange time to be dumping on Brayshaw - he had his best year at the club I think

He was playing excellent footy at half back, I think at one point averaging the most intercept marks in the league or thereabouts. Tackling like a madman and winning contest after contest when our back half was pretty de-stabilised. If we're talking about improving the club from 2021, he was one of the few positives in this area.

I don't buy the "midfield minutes or I leave" angle - just don't think the club would be ransomed that way. On the G&G podcast Gus said Goody approached him with a new role for the Freo game. Obviously the timing looks suss - but Goody loves stacking the midfield with contested players, so he's got form there.

Gotta play half back in 2022 for mine. Reads the ball so well with the game unfolding in front of him. Didn't mind his few run with roles when Harmes was out, but with Harmes fit I think Harmes does it better.

Strange time to be dumping on Brayshaw - he had his best year at the club I think

He was playing excellent footy at half back, I think at one point averaging the most intercept marks in the league or thereabouts. Tackling like a madman and winning contest after contest when our back half was pretty de-stabilised. If we're talking about improving the club from 2021, he was one of the few positives in this area.

I don't buy the "midfield minutes or I leave" angle - just don't think the club would be ransomed that way. On the G&G podcast Gus said Goody approached him with a new role for the Freo game. Obviously the timing looks suss - but Goody loves stacking the midfield with contested players, so he's got form there.

Gotta play half back in 2022 for mine. Reads the ball so well with the game unfolding in front of him. Didn't mind his few run with roles when Harmes was out, but with Harmes fit I think Harmes does it better.
Nah no ****ing way he randomly plays midfield the week of his contract extension after refusing to sign all year

I would put the blame more on the coaching staff for that. If he had trained all year/pre season as a backman why move him into the midfield and expect him to run out a game

Luke Hodge & Dane Swan hardly had elite athlete looking bodies either

Probably too much for both, but why not Rivers/Pickett/Langdon etc. Someone who's first instinct is to get outside the pack

I really don't see a reason why Rivers couldn't play midfield. He's going to be a big body once he adds more muscle.
Pickett can pinch hit occasionally.
If Langdon keeps getting tagged out of it on a wing might be a way to break the tag by going inside the square.

Nah no ******* way he randomly plays midfield the week of his contract extension after refusing to sign all year
How do you know he was refusing to sign? Seemed like his resigning came with Dogga's confirmation he was out

His run with role in the middle co-incided with Harmes going out of the team - of course we'll never know either way what is exactly in his contract, but what happens next year when he starts playing HBF again?

Nah no ******* way he randomly plays midfield the week of his contract extension after refusing to sign all year
Wasn’t that the week we lost Harmes? Goodwin is exactly the kind of guy to say “well we had our best game in the contest when we moved him in there, so he stays there”.

How do you know he was refusing to sign? Seemed like his resigning came with Dogga's confirmation he was out

His run with role in the middle co-incided with Harmes going out of the team - of course we'll never know either way what is exactly in his contract, but what happens next year when he starts playing HBF again?
Wasn’t that the week we lost Harmes? Goodwin is exactly the kind of guy to say “well we had our best game in the contest when we moved him in there, so he stays there”.

So Harmes who is a part time mid who plays mostly HFF. Gets replaced by a Brayshaw who becomes a full time inside mid. How did Harmes come back into the side of Brayshaw took his role?

He didn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Harmes who is a part time mid who plays mostly HFF. Gets replaced by a Brayshaw who becomes a full time inside mid. How did Harmes come back into the side of Brayshaw took his role?

He didn't.
I think the Gus to the middle has more to do with Trac needed forward for longer, even if he can’t kick goals, and it is very Goodwin to double down, and even more like him to put Harmes wherever. But you’re not going to listen because you’re determined to blame Brayshaw for our ordinary form.

I really don't see a reason why Rivers couldn't play midfield. He's going to be a big body once he adds more muscle.
Pickett can pinch hit occasionally.
If Langdon keeps getting tagged out of it on a wing might be a way to break the tag by going inside the square.
I've been thinking Bowey could honestly be a good addition to the mid mix.

Yup, JT commented he could become a Sam Mitchell type with his poise and decision making. Don't mind it
I’m no expert in these things, but he is very small. Wouldn’t he get squashed?

I’m no expert in these things, but he is very small. Wouldn’t he get squashed?
He's small but tenacious. Obviously a midfield of Boweys wouldn't work but next to our other meatballs in there his 1 touch ball handling and skills could be handy if he's always on the move and looking for the receive from Clarry et al

I think the Gus to the middle has more to do with Trac needed forward for longer, even if he can’t kick goals, and it is very Goodwin to double down, and even more like him to put Harmes wherever. But you’re not going to listen because you’re determined to blame Brayshaw for our ordinary form.
That's a weird take based on nothing. Our form sucked when he was at HB and I loved him there. Never remotely once blamed him in the middle for our poor form Proper Danster

That's a weird take based on nothing. Our form sucked when he was at HB and I loved him there. Never remotely once blamed him in the middle for our poor form Proper Danster
Ok ok - TBH I do suspect that AB did indicate to all teams he spoke to that field position opportunities were one of his considerations, its just the OTT idea of his holding Melbourne to ransome I don’t find too likely. i think a balance could be struck here if Goodwin could become less wedded to a set midfield for 90 plus percent of the game. I wouldn’t mind some variety in who is rolled through the middle, unless the whole freaking lot of them are welded to their Brownlow ranking. I wouldn’t mind seeing a bit of Oliver forward from time to time. At least we wouldn’t see his forward delivery quite as often. Plus he has become a goal kicking machine on the back of that game against Sydney. He’s the next TMac dead eye I reckon after I’ve been drinking for a bit.

I’ve suddenly decided to go overseas next year and I’ve been making all the accomodation bookings today to be sure of a good place to stay and also to force me to actually do it. I moved the plan one month forward to mid-July to late August, when it was going to be August and September, and I’m in a crabby mood now because I’ve realised I will be back in Melbourne for finals.

Ok ok - TBH I do suspect that AB did indicate to all teams he spoke to that field position opportunities were one of his considerations, its just the OTT idea of his holding Melbourne to ransome I don’t find too likely. i think a balance could be struck here if Goodwin could become less wedded to a set midfield for 90 plus percent of the game. I wouldn’t mind some variety in who is rolled through the middle, unless the whole freaking lot of them are welded to their Brownlow ranking. I wouldn’t mind seeing a bit of Oliver forward from time to time. At least we wouldn’t see his forward delivery quite as often. Plus he has become a goal kicking machine on the back of that game against Sydney. He’s the next TMac dead eye I reckon after I’ve been drinking for a bit.

I’ve suddenly decided to go overseas next year and I’ve been making all the accomodation bookings today to be sure of a good place to stay and also to force me to actually do it. I moved the plan one month forward to mid-July to late August, when it was going to be August and September, and I’m in a crabby mood now because I’ve realised I will be back in Melbourne for finals.
You'll be back in time for Gawny and the lads to win the GF in front of you; RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!

I’m in a crabby mood now because I’ve realised I will be back in Melbourne for finals.
You had one job, PG. Now you're coming back for finals. I think you might have to outstay your welcome somewhere. Anything but finals...

On a completely unrelated note; isn't it amazing how quickly we become Melbourne again after one year in an alternate reality?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10: Angus Brayshaw – retired due to concussion (22/02). Thanks for everything, Gus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back