Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - goes bang w/ 37d on his return vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

The pressure on Harley Reid is enormous. For some reason I dont believe all the hype and will be surprised if he is as good as they are saying. The media tend to all fall over themselves and are too quick to call people superstars in all walks of life.
No reason to doubt he will be a fine player, but the unprecedented/generational type of comments were rolled out about corn Frances as well, and daicos, both fine players in their own rights but on exposed form you couldn't wedge a playing card between them and sheezel and thats not even considering the Ashcroft hype. Rowell was hyped up as much (and thats disregarding Anderson, Butters and Rozee) as Reid which makes these generational events 1 to 2 year frequency? But I agree, next years media darling will again be the pick of the generation, generational type, was rince repeat. even last years draft has a few players that we will be yet to see the best off, i reckon Tsatas will be pretty handy, Cadman wont begin to realise his potentual for a season or 2.

I was hard on him when I compared him to a Andy McGrath type that we shouldn't invest pick 2 or 3 on.

But the more videos I watched of him the more I started to realise that I was wrong. That's not to say he couldn't play like Andy McGrath and play defence.

He has high level midfielder craft and being a left footer is a bonus.
I'm impressed, it takes a lot to admit when your wrong, I know, I've done it many times and Colby is going to be a better player than Andy McGrath, that's not to say Andy is a bad player, he's always been a half back flanker who can maybe have stints in the midfield and his dash is certainly appealing, but Colby is different in that he's a pure midfielder and his class is so evident, Consistently good is hard for some boys especially at this level and Colby is just that, he is going to be some player. He can pretty much play anywhere and like Harry, his skills and deft touch with the ball are going to raise the belief of a lot of our supporters. You saw what Harry did, "he's just a half forward", would have been a lot of peoples thoughts before he played 1 game, well people, wait to you see what Colby is going to do and the left footer thing being a bonus, never a truer word written.

I'm impressed, it takes a lot to admit when your wrong, I know, I've done it many times and Colby is going to be a better player than Andy McGrath, that's not to say Andy is a bad player, he's always been a half back flanker who can maybe have stints in the midfield and his dash is certainly appealing, but Colby is different in that he's a pure midfielder and his class is so evident, Consistently good is hard for some boys especially at this level and Colby is just that, he is going to be some player. He can pretty much play anywhere and like Harry, his skills and deft touch with the ball are going to raise the belief of a lot of our supporters. You saw what Harry did, "he's just a half forward", would have been a lot of peoples thoughts before he played 1 game, well people, wait to you see what Colby is going to do and the left footer thing being a bonus, never a truer word written.
My brother is an * supporter and thinks McGrath is a spud of a selection at pick 1.

My brother is an * supporter and thinks McGrath is a spud of a selection at pick 1.

He in my opinion wasn't a number 1 pick, but at the time I could see why "Dodo" picked him, Tim Taranto was my number 1 pick followed by Hugh McCluggage, both of them could of intertwined with each other with Griffin Logue at 3 and McGrath at 4. I didn't think Jy Simpkin would last to our pick 12, I did like him, but I thought the broken leg might get him to slide to us and in a strange way, he did.

When you pick a player say half forward or half back with midfield potential as well for that number 1 pick its quite surprising that a lot of players don't go on to be that superstar that the club hope for and that they go on to be good players in their original position. That's not the recruiters fault, they see the upside, potential and what they can become.

Some lads don't go to that next level for a variety of reasons, its rarely if anything just one thing. It could be personal reasons, trouble at home, confidence factor, over confidence {the jack watts solution} I wrote this because he once said, being the number 1 draft pick he took it easy and didn't train very hard because he thought it would just happen for him.

Things have changed over recent years with newer technology and other things where recruiters leave nothing to chance, more personal approaches to not only family but friends, people at the lads football club, etc, etc, etc. This is why Colby is so good, he ticks all of the boxes and then some and he can really play football. "But he can't kick on his right foot," "he can't do this", and "I've never seen him do that", I can hear some posters saying, recruiters know this, they just about know everything about the lad but they focus on what they can do really well, other stuff can be taught at the next level by professional coaches and players of this class usually don't have any problems with this.

I've read somewhere that next years class are head and shoulders above 2023 class{ top four or five players }, this sometimes tends to happen with people and media going a bit overboard but I must say in my opinion, Colby and Ryley are quite a way in front of next years boys, still a long 12 months to go and I'm sure the gap will be narrowed down but these two Tassie boys are very, very good.​

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We haven't had a lot to get excited about these past few years, but getting to watch the careers of Sheezel, McKercher, Wardlaw, and Duursma unfold over the next 15 years should make it all worth it.

I had a couple of concerns with Sheezel that were alleviated 90 seconds into his debut, and Wardlaw obviously had his hamstring problems, but McKercher I think might be the surest thing to walk into Arden St over the past 20 years. That includes JHF.

You'd love for him to be a little bigger, but he is otherwise as natural a footballer as it gets. I'm stoked we have him.

We haven't had a lot to get excited about these past few years, but getting to watch the careers of Sheezel, McKercher, Wardlaw, and Duursma unfold over the next 15 years should make it all worth it.

I had a couple of concerns with Sheezel that were alleviated 90 seconds into his debut, and Wardlaw obviously had his hamstring problems, but McKercher I think might be the surest thing to walk into Arden St over the past 20 years. That includes JHF.

You'd love for him to be a little bigger, but he is otherwise as natural a footballer as it gets. I'm stoked we have him.
I reckon if JHF had had his head screwed on properly he would have been a sensation with us. The best of all of them in his own way and the role he would have played with us.

I reckon if JHF had had his head screwed on properly he would have been a sensation with us. The best of all of them in his own way and the role he would have played with us.

Don't get me wrong, JHF had a ton of potential, but had a few paths towards underwhelming.

He was that powerful Mid/FWD hybrid, but without the forward craft of De Goey and Heeney, or the midfield craft of Martin and Petracca. Currently he is a bit of a one trick pony, but with his strength and speed that trick is pretty hard to stop. He likely gets there, but with how they both showed up to Arden St I'd have McKercher that little bit more likely to make it as a 200 game quality player.

In simpler terms, JHF has the higher ceiling, but McKercher the higher floor.

Don't get me wrong, JHF had a ton of potential, but had a few paths towards underwhelming.

He was that powerful Mid/FWD hybrid, but without the forward craft of De Goey and Heeney, or the midfield craft of Martin and Petracca. Currently he is a bit of a one trick pony, but with his strength and speed that trick is pretty hard to stop. He likely gets there, but with how they both showed up to Arden St I'd have McKercher that little bit more likely to make it as a 200 game quality player.

The fact that JHF hasn't brought his defensive application over from his u18 years is another X against him. His raw clearance numbers were very impressive at times this year though.

As much as everyone on here can't stand JHF i personally hope they both make it big time.

As someone that has more insight into JHF than most on here, I can honestly say I hope he breaks his leg so badly that he never plays again. And I've never wished injury on a player before.
Crikey - young Jason ought to be very careful if he's ever standing behind any moving vans I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - goes bang w/ 37d on his return vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back