Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - goes bang w/ 37d on his return vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt, but remember we were bagged for not trading 2 and 3 for Reid. McKercher and Duursma.
Now its not that clear McKercher is behind Reid at all.
Dunno if kerch will ever have the power game of reid or even corn fracess for that matter but with his manouverability does it even matter when he is beside wardlaw. Why go through a pack when you can cut around it, then when your out few are catching you.

Straight to #1..

Different league.
I just googled and with hindsight, my earlier post on this comes across as disrespectful so I apologise for that. The hawk reference didn't initially click with me even though I did realise it wasn't a football thing.

Midfields are all about mix.

We have LDU and Wardlaw for our contested game.

We have Sheez on the burst through the middle to split it open

On the outside we'll have Kerch and if we get the contested ball and flick it outside, Kerch is running inside 50 before the opposition blinks. He's Errol Gulden with twice the speed

I just googled and with hindsight, my earlier post on this comes across as disrespectful so I apologise for that. The hawk reference didn't initially click with me even though I did realise it wasn't a football thing.
"Spit on that thang"....

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I kept quiet on all that insane comments about Kerch last week ?! Wtf ?! Can’t kick 😳
Gee we have some knobs here that know nothing ….
Where are they tonight?

These knobs can be grouped into the "Harley Reid camp" with an unhealthy dose of confirmation bias.

Shame they won't be able to enjoy the gift that McKercher is like the rest of us.

5. LIFE’S GOOD

The last time they met, Gold Coast won by 78 points. The time before that, the Kangaroos won, but many people say they still lost because the win cost them Harley Reid. It’s time to end that narrative because the win actually gave the Kangaroos the opportunity to secure Colby McKercher. Reid is a rare talent, but so is McKercher. In his 10th game, he had 37 touches. His three previous games were 30, 30 and 32 touches. Not even Nick Daicos, playing the same role at halfback, was doing those numbers in his first 10 games.

Colleague Sam Landsberger likened him to Essendon’s Zach Merrett. We’ll go further back and suggest McKercher has Wayne Schwass traits. Schwass was a champion – he won the Kangaroos B&F in 1994-95 when teammate Wayne Carey was the best player in the game – and had a sizzling left foot. So does McKercher. And like Schwass, he glides with speed across the ground. Reid might be a generational talent, but we’ll betcha anything that the Kangas wouldn’t swap their man for anything.

Colby McKercher will be a star for North Melbourne. Picture: Morgan Hancock/AFL Photos/via Getty Images.

Colby McKercher will be a star for North Melbourne. Picture: Morgan Hancock/AFL Photos/via Getty Images.
Wouldn’t a comparison to Sheezel be more apt rather than Daicos, considering that Sheeze was actually getting 35 touches in his first 10 games at HB?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But does he need to go in the centre if he is just blazing the ground up?
I can see why considering we’ve really got George and LDU as our potential exploding types

Wouldn’t a comparison to Sheezel be more apt rather than Daicos, considering that Sheeze was actually getting 35 touches in his first 10 games at HB?
Yep. Media bias.

But there's also the thing that Sheeze had six 30+ games in his first ten games and had 37 touches in his fourth game so he's not quite at Sheeze's level!!!

Dunno if kerch will ever have the power game of reid or even corn fracess for that matter but with his manouverability does it even matter when he is beside wardlaw. Why go through a pack when you can cut around it, then when your out few are catching you.
The silver lining in having holes all over the ground (as we have over the last couple of years) is that with strong drafts and hands you can just go for pure talent rather than types.

Yep. Media bias.

But there's also the thing that Sheeze had six 30+ games in his first ten games and had 37 touches in his fourth game so he's not quite at Sheeze's level!!!

So what you're saying is?

Sheezel > McKercher > N. Daicos

What a superstar.

My question is what does he become.

I think, like sheeze, he has the football IQ and ability to play all three areas of the ground. His size means that it will be slightly different roles in those areas, and perhaps a little longer to get enough weight to be in the middle than sheeze, but I can see him being elite at a few roles.

HB rebounder - already there, currently perfect for him. I dont need to add anything I think.

Small forward - while not playing this position, I think his tricks (that fake kick on the wing was 100% on purpose to slow his chaser), and he ability to impact the scoreboard with top tier finishing (was elite in that from the midfield in juniors) means he could be elite in this role.

Outside midfielder/wing - I like my wings a bit taller, but as soon as this kid gets enough weight and strength for AFL level he has proven himself all his career to be a freak ball winner with excellent positioning and a tank to do it all game.

Yeah he's a very different player as you say.

I guess my main point is theres probably so little difference in the player value between the two i doubt any North fans would even consider a direct swap let alone giving up picks 2 and 3 as many outsiders thought we should've done.

Its interesting i recently did poll on Warlord V Judas mainly because of the North connection (not because they're like for like) in the polls forum because i wanted a more neutral perspective on it. And Wardlaw just edged him out.

Id suspect the vast majority of neutrals would still go for Reid at this stage, but whatever gap they considered there was would've closed dramatically.

Not bagging on any of the 4 other than BreastMilk Judas, all 4 will be guns.

So what you're saying is?

Sheezel > McKercher > N. Daicos
We put them in tubs of their own bath water and wonder why sometimes they drink it.

Get me flags then ill consider orders and the likes. But fair to say Sheez, McKercher, Wardlaw, Daicos, Reid and JHF are all tracking to be consistent A graders.

We put them in tubs of their own bath water and wonder why sometimes they drink it.

Get me flags then ill consider orders and the likes. But fair to say Sheez, McKercher, Wardlaw, Daicos, Reid and JHF are all tracking to be consistent A graders.

I'm very glad we have 3 of those 6. Almost seems selfish but f*** it!

Can you imagine Colby taking off for a bounce or 2, looking over his shoulder, and seeing Judas in pursuit, would be better than Buddy v Cale Hooker

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - goes bang w/ 37d on his return vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back