Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - goes bang w/ 37d on his return vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Ideally, I hope he puts on 3-4 kgs to be able to break tackles. It’s only a matter of time.

Chuck him in the centre:

C:Ford McKercher Scott

An excellent mark on one wing who just needs the fitness and the permission to play on.

A human wrecking ball who will tear zones to pieces in the centre.

A whippet who doesn’t stop running back to support the defenders on the other wing.
Can you see Colby McKercher of all people becoming a 'human wrecking ball?' I would've thought your noun description of Scott would apply to Colby too

What are we hoping for Colby to do as an inside mid? Can see him struggling big-time against a bigger body, and maybe the sports scientists will correct me here, but I don't think his potential for future muscle growth is huge. Unless we just send him to every stoppage along the wing and get a set play going with X smashing the ball out of the area into his path, and classify that as inside mid craft

He wont struggle at all.

He averaged 6 clearances a game at u/18 level.

Not every clearance is a hardball get. In fact it's the complete opposite and hardball get clearance mids are becoming dinosaurs to most clubs, as most of them are big, poor on the spread etc. Hardball clearances are messy, not clean and often don't result in the same impact as a loose ball clearance.

Clubs prefer loose ball clearance midfielders - See Nick Daicos, who is hardly Patrick Cripps himself.

Colby was a loose ball contested possession and clearance machine at u/18 level. I see him very much being like Nick Daicos up the ground. People compare Nick to Harry, but they aren't in the midfield, Harry is a lot harder, he buries his nose in much more contested and is more like someone like Pendles. Daicos is quicker around the contest and in the initial spread than Harry

Colby will be very much like ND up the ground imo.

Not to mention Colby averaged 1.4 goals per game in u/18's, so add's a huge offensive presence there...

Last edited:
What are we hoping for Colby to do as an inside mid? Can see him struggling big-time against a bigger body, and maybe the sports scientists will correct me here, but I don't think his potential for future muscle growth is huge. Unless we just send him to every stoppage along the wing and get a set play going with X smashing the ball out of the area into his path, and classify that as inside mid craft
His second year in the system next year, no need to rush him as inside mid, he'll roll through there eventually but that may not be for another year or two.

Last edited:
His second year in the system next year, no need to rush him as inside mid, he'll play roll through there eventually but that may not be for another year or two.
Yep.

Best thing is that he has such a good spread of attributes that you don't need to fast track him to have great impact all through his career. Lighting fast, clean disposal means he can build and impact wherever suits him and the team best at each stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - goes bang w/ 37d on his return vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back