Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - goes bang w/ 37d on his return vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Aaaaanyway, Colby will be a gun. A significantly more well rounded and damaging version of Andrew Gaff.

Didn't Dean Laidley do that and now he is held up as a hero.
I guess if you can only ever see a person as he or she and you refuse to give any consideration to their preferred pronouns or to think in anything but binary terms, then it's also difficult to consider that a person can be both heroic and contemptible at different times in their life.

Realistic and completely achievable benchmark. This kid should be our Gaff, Jelly, etc etc. Has better junior form and much better attributes. GUN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a really good take Swallow.
He's got the tools to be a damaging link up player, like Gaff, but can do so with more explosive pace, more penetrating kicking and a more dynamic contested game. With the likes of LDU, Warldaw and Phillips around the coalface, McKercher can be used primarily are a high impact ball carrier though can do his inside shift too when need be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints mods deleted that thread
Burning Books Burn GIF by Declan McKenna

Expectations seem to be high.

99% of us wanted north to draft him.

Like sheez he’s a fantastic runner, maybe even better when factoring pace and endurance. Clarko has the template from last year.

Does he have a better first up season than the sheez in 23?
I can't see that happening. No slight on his name, but he'd have to maintain a ridiculously high standard to match Sheez. I think he'll fade in and out a bit more than Sheez did. The highs will be very high though

I can't see that happening. No slight on his name, but he'd have to maintain a ridiculously high standard to match Sheez. I think he'll fade in and out a bit more than Sheez did. The highs will be very high though

Sure. And I’m not trying to undersell the all time statistical dominance of sheezel.

But……….

Colby is a more proven accumulator than sheez at the same early part of their career.

He’s playing in the same position

He seems as driven as they come and plays well every week.

I could see it happening with injury luck.

McKercher is ultra consistent.

I think the opposite, at whatever level he settles into, he will hit his average most games.

He doesn’t flash hot and cold at all.

I think the opposite, at whatever level he settles into, he will hit his average most games.

Sheezel had an all time best debut year. Must have been a number of factors in this - great start which gave him lots of confidence. Good size / strong body. Great endurance. Team make up at the time.

Maybe playing big bodies will wear him down?

Sheezel had an all time best debut year. Must have been a number of factors in this - great start which gave him lots of confidence. Good size / strong body. Great endurance. Team make up at the time.

Maybe playing big bodies will wear him down?

I’m not saying he will surpass Sheez’s debut year, although that is definitely a possibility.

All I’m certain of, is he will perform at a fairly consistent level.

I'm just reluctant to jump to such lofty expectations of him, that's all. Maybe I'm too wary of relative disappointment after being spoiled last year. If we keep him in open space, I'm sure he'll be great

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - goes bang w/ 37d on his return vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back