Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - goes bang w/ 37d on his return vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

You know how you said there wasn't a Sheezel every year?

Well the year before there was - Daicos, who i reckon is on a similar level - so it would be hilarious if this year McKerch had a similar season to those two. Three years with that sort of player and two of them playing for us!!! The rest of the league would melt so much.
Wardlaws the one to have a breakout year and win the rising star.
that animal has so much talent.

The pressure on Harley Reid is enormous. For some reason I dont believe all the hype and will be surprised if he is as good as they are saying. The media tend to all fall over themselves and are too quick to call people superstars in all walks of life.

It will be interesting to see how patient the WA media are with him.

As a prospect, he is most similar to Petracca and JHF. It took Petracca until his sixth year for it all to click. JHF is about to go into year three and has a long way to go. You'd hate to see them push him out of town when he isn't the best player in the AFL by the end of year three.

It will be interesting to see how patient the WA media are with him.

As a prospect, he is most similar to Petracca and JHF. It took Petracca until his sixth year for it all to click. JHF is about to go into year three and has a long way to go. You'd hate to see them push him out of town when he isn't the best player in the AFL by the end of year three.
Have any of these power type mids come in and been great right away? They all seems to take 3+ years.

It's the guys who have been average sized or undersized their whole lives who come in ready because they're used to it.

That's why McKercher should probably be higher odds for the rising star.

I think that Reid will be good. I just hope that the expectations aren't a negative impact if he has an LDU-like development curve.

Have any of these power type mids come in and been great right away? They all seems to take 3+ years.

It's the guys who have been average sized or undersized their whole lives who come in ready because they're used to it.

I think that Reid will be good. I just hope that the expectations aren't a negative impact if he has an LDU-like development curve.
I actually think it’s the guys with elite engines that come in and can impact consistently right away. Daicos and Sheezel don’t just have class in common, they’re both elite runners. Colby is cut from the same mould.

Not sure what to expect from McKercher next year. They all can’t hit the ground running like Daicos /Sheezel.

Hopefully we see him get some games and show off his talent. You’d think it will be his outside game that will translate best from year 1 and the contested /high accumulation stuff will come later.

His 2022 vs 2023 body looks like he added a little lean muscle but mostly lost puppy fat. Looks very slight. He’s definitely got some physical maturing to do - which to me says he has a lot of growth/potential given he’s already operating at such a high level.

Not sure what to expect from McKercher next year. They all can’t hit the ground running like Daicos /Sheezel.

Hopefully we see him get some games and show off his talent. You’d think it will be his outside game that will translate best from year 1 and the contested /high accumulation stuff will come later.

His 2022 vs 2023 body looks like he added a little lean muscle but mostly lost puppy fat. Looks very slight. He’s definitely got some physical maturing to do - which to me says he has a lot of growth/potential given he’s already operating at such a high level.
Think I’m more confident with Kerch than I was with sheez especially when sheez went to a foreign part of the field.
Kerch will be played on the outside - has speed and good stamina

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only need to look at the press associated with number 1 vs number 2 pick to see the burden carried by these number 1s.

The fanfare for Reid is up another 10 levels from Colby's.

It's going to end in flames isn't it?

The Chosen One Movie GIF by Star Wars

The pressure on Harley Reid is enormous. For some reason I dont believe all the hype and will be surprised if he is as good as they are saying. The media tend to all fall over themselves and are too quick to call people superstars in all walks of life.
l still think the go home factor will be to strong eventually and he will want to come back to Victoria.

Rowell would have been except he got injured early on. His early games were unbelievable..

Saw McKercher at the footy.

In person has a quality that doesn't come across in interviews: cocky midget Tasmanian psycho.

See also - Ponting, Ricky.

Colby McKercher – No.10​

McKercher takes over from Ben Cunnington, who wore No.10 from his first game in 2010 to his memorable final match in August.

A no-nonsense inside midfielder with a devastating ‘don’t argue’ and a left boot that far outperformed its reputation away from Arden Street, Cunnington was the cornerstone of North Melbourne’s midfield throughout his career.

A regular ball-winner – and another left-footer - who pairs precision with acceleration, McKercher will give the number a different inflection, with Wardlaw, Phillips, Davies-Uniacke and skipper Jy Simpkin feeding it out to him.

Having earned his stripes over four games in No.58 and 13 in No.46, Anthony Stevens went on to wear No.10 in another 275 games, including the 1996 and 1999 premiership victories, and captained the club in 2002 and 2003.

Ruck Barry Goodingham wore the number in 158 games from 1967 to 1975, culminating in the club’s inaugural Grand Final victory.

Colby McKercher – No.10​

McKercher takes over from Ben Cunnington, who wore No.10 from his first game in 2010 to his memorable final match in August.

A no-nonsense inside midfielder with a devastating ‘don’t argue’ and a left boot that far outperformed its reputation away from Arden Street, Cunnington was the cornerstone of North Melbourne’s midfield throughout his career.

A regular ball-winner – and another left-footer - who pairs precision with acceleration, McKercher will give the number a different inflection, with Wardlaw, Phillips, Davies-Uniacke and skipper Jy Simpkin feeding it out to him.

Having earned his stripes over four games in No.58 and 13 in No.46, Anthony Stevens went on to wear No.10 in another 275 games, including the 1996 and 1999 premiership victories, and captained the club in 2002 and 2003.

Ruck Barry Goodingham wore the number in 158 games from 1967 to 1975, culminating in the club’s inaugural Grand Final victory.
Someone want to tell the club Cunners was right footed….

Colby McKercher – No.10​

A regular ball-winner – and another left-footer -
Cunners was left footed, was he. Must've saved it for special occasions 😐

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #10: Colby McKercher - R9 AFL RS nom - goes bang w/ 37d on his return vs GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back