10 years ago today

Remove this Banner Ad

Vertical Stripes said:
Corey McKernan was robbed!!

But he didn't care about the Brownlow and went on to win a Premiership the following weekend.

Yup and I'd like to add

AFLPA MVP >>>>>>>> daylight >>>>>>>>>> Brownlow :)

Corey won this 'overlooked and THE REAL DEAL' award 10 years ago and that's the middle finger salute to the Brownlow fantasy .... heck, how often has a player won a Brownlow and missed the GF/ lost the GF??? :p

I don't think Corey McK should be too concerned about Brownow night 1996, he has achieved MUCH MORE than your flavour of the month player that come and go in this league.

I got garbage Top of the Northern Stand tickets for the 96 GF, it was felt like being on the moon. :thumbsdown:

NorthBhoy said:
Our '96 side would win comfortably this week I reckon.

Laidley Martyn King
Archer Fairley Blakey

What a bad arse back half. Laids was a mental case.

Add in Carey, Rock, Schwass, and Stevens, and you had a fair chunk of the team that wouldn't take any crap from the opposition. The sooner we get back to this sort of attitude, the better.

NorthBhoy said:
Imagine '96 McKernan VS Dean Cox!?!?!

You should post this on the main board and watch all the Eagles fans go into a frenzy.

Shinboners said:
Add in Carey, Rock, Schwass, and Stevens, and you had a fair chunk of the team that wouldn't take any crap from the opposition. The sooner we get back to this sort of attitude, the better.

You should post this on the main board and watch all the Eagles fans go into a frenzy.
I love the 96 team,but i think the Eagles team would have far to much pace.You can't compare sides 10 years apart the game has changed so much in 10 years.

Shinboners said:
I went to Myers at Doncaster Shopping Town at 8.30am and walked out with my ticket about an hour later. Superb. It was amazing to think that in 1998 and 1999, I joined the queue at the MCG at about 5am before finally getting my tickets at about 11am ('98) and 1pm ('99).

I can relate to that.

Im 96 I just went to Myers Chadstone and got my ticket on Monday morning without realising what all the fuss was about.

The biggest mistake IMO they made after that year was to limit the number of outlets. That just created havoc in those venues.

In 1998 I missed out altogether, but in 1999 me and a mate waited all night at the MCG and by the time our turn came in the morning, there was only restricted viewing left. We still took it of course, and ended up behind the Ch 7 camera man in the second row of the Ponsford Stand. That didn't matter though...

Those were the days...Who knows when the next opportunity presents itslef...

I remember telling my young son to suck in every bit of the atmosphere he could because you never know when we will be here to see our team win a flag again. Happened again in 99 and gave him the same message. Reckon it will be a few more years before I am there again to cheer my roos.

At least I can see I've been to every winning Kangaroo Grand Final, and shed a tear at each.

Is there a better feeling than the time in the game when you realise we can't lose? Usually somewhere in the last quarter......................heaven.

gokangas said:
Is there a better feeling than the time in the game when you realise we can't lose? Usually somewhere in the last quarter......................heaven.

That is an awesome experience. 1996 was my first GF, and halfway through the last quarter I thought we were home (watching the replay, the game was probably over much earlier than that). Our fans started singing the club song...

Topped off with late goals, including the one to Fairley.

I appeciated 1999 differently, as it was the revenge for 1998 - I was more content rather than rapt at the end of the game.

fusion said:
That is an awesome experience. 1996 was my first GF, and halfway through the last quarter I thought we were home (watching the replay, the game was probably over much earlier than that). Our fans started singing the club song...

I appeciated 1999 differently, as it was the revenge for 1998 - I was more content rather than rapt at the end of the game.

I can still remember losing 74 and shedding a tear because I thought that was our once only chance. Little did I know what lay ahead.

The 75 flag was awesome - to see all the die hards crying - big tough blokes who would kill you rather than look at you, howling with joy. It was a day I'll never forget.

The 77 draw was amazing too - the absolute silence as the siren went and everyone looked at each other saying what happens now? The replay was a joy - beating Collingwood was the best feeling.

Benno_900 said:
Even in 99, I was still only 9 and didn't really think much of it. :(

I was the complete opposite.I can remember everything. I had actually made a poster from pictures form the SUN and other papers. Put the club song on it, took it to school, they stuck it on the wall, then went overseas and never found it again. It took one bloody hell of a time to do. I remember one of the pictures of shagger, Carey, Mckernan holding the premiership cup with the old premiership caps on their heads. What a day it was!

Did the all nighter in 96 at the MCG. The Fish aka "Brainiac the original" had the feeling that there would already be a line at the G. Therefore he drove down to the hallowed ground and he ended up with ticket number 73 (69 with 4 fingers) in his hand. What a great Omen. Anyways I took on the night shift and the atmosphere was great talking to fellow North supporters about the day and our chances. Those were the days.

Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we chose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way
La la la la la la
La la la la la la
Those were the days
Oh yes those were the days

Zondor said:
Did the all nighter in 96 at the MCG. The Fish aka "Brainiac the original" had the feeling that there would already be a line at the G. Therefore he drove down to the hollowed ground and he ended up with ticket number 73 (69 with 4 fingers) in his hand. What a great Omen. Anyways I took on the night shift and the atmosphere was great talking to fellow North supporters about the day and our chances. Those were the days.

Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we chose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way
La la la la la la
La la la la la la
Those were the days
Oh yes those were the days
You sung the song from the cheese commercial!

I remember the wild celbrations after the 99 GF.

Me and me cousins all went down to Lygon St and joined a massive convoy of 20 cars parading through Carlton sticking it to all the blue baggers.

They were in tears lol.

Good times, Good times. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woodson said:
Yup and I'd like to add

AFLPA MVP >>>>>>>> daylight >>>>>>>>>> Brownlow :)

Corey won this 'overlooked and THE REAL DEAL' award 10 years ago and that's the middle finger salute to the Brownlow fantasy .... heck, how often has a player won a Brownlow and missed the GF/ lost the GF??? :p

I don't think Corey McK should be too concerned about Brownow night 1996, he has achieved MUCH MORE than your flavour of the month player that come and go in this league.

I got garbage Top of the Northern Stand tickets for the 96 GF, it was felt like being on the moon. :thumbsdown:

Wondering if we know each other or you know some of my pals - a whole bunch of them were sitting up top deck of Nthn Stand that day. Not the greatest location but one of their missus was able to take top shots.

fusion said:

1999 was a funny one. I still don't think the joy of that one covered off the pain of 1998 - never over '98!

Tasroo said:
1999 was a funny one. I still don't think the joy of that one covered off the pain of 1998 - never over '98!

No you can never get over a loss like that. I think the team went as close as you can to make up for it though. We obliterated Adelaide twice during the year and then won the flag. Couldn't do much more really.

Tasroo said:

'99 was more relief than joy.

I'd happily give up the '99 Premiership for the '98 one. That '98 side played some superb footy - they were a better side to watch than the '99 one imho.

Shinboners said:
'99 was more relief than joy.

I'd happily give up the '99 Premiership for the '98 one. That '98 side played some superb footy - they were a better side to watch than the '99 one imho.

Yes and yes!

The 77 draw was eerie as was suggested earlier on here. We beat them by a sweet 27 points in the replay, which was how much they lead us by at 3/4time in game one. Smug bastards.

1978 I was a 10 year old and walked down the steps of the old Olympic Stand in tears and whilst not making it to the 1998 GF I was almost the same at a GF party watching it on TV.

They were both bitter losses, esp 98....I thought we had it in the bag with that arsey Carey soccer kick...like how could we lose when he is kicking goals like that...only to be swamped with helplessness in that last Q...and Ron Casey's tears...!

96 still was a more exubrient win than 99 after all those years.

I wonder how Bulldogs fans will feel in the next few years should they finally make it.

Gaso

Ahh the memory's, was in Bali for the 96' final, was watching it on cable, glued to the screen, when we won, ran nude down the beach absolutely balling my eyes out.

Was there at 99', was definately payback.

96' McKernan vs Cox, pffffft Corey would of ate him for breakfast. Would have climbed up big cox' back, and stuck the big dukes out.

I think our 96' team would have flogged either one of these teams, our forward line would absolutely murder either team.

Imagine Carey on Lewis Roberts-Thompson? It would be like a seagull in Rotar blades, they would have to stick LRT, Leo Barry and Bolton on him, just to keep him to 8.

WCE would be even funnier, the way they play the "no flood" style, one on one, would suit our game plan down to the ****teenth, Quintin Lynch wouldnt know what hit him after he gets round arm'd by 6 of the toughest bastards ever to grace a backline together.

What a team? Guess whos right in the middle near the cup. JYD. Screaming his head off. What an animal!

1124062.jpg

Pykie said:
Ahh the memory's, was in Bali for the 96' final, was watching it on cable, glued to the screen, when we won, ran nude down the beach absolutely balling my eyes out.

Was there at 99', was definately payback.

96' McKernan vs Cox, pffffft Corey would of ate him for breakfast. Would have climbed up big cox' back, and stuck the big dukes out.

I think our 96' team would have flogged either one of these teams, our forward line would absolutely murder either team.

Imagine Carey on Lewis Roberts-Thompson? It would be like a seagull in Rotar blades, they would have to stick LRT, Leo Barry and Bolton on him, just to keep him to 8.

WCE would be even funnier, the way they play the "no flood" style, one on one, would suit our game plan down to the ****teenth, Quintin Lynch wouldnt know what hit him after he gets round arm'd by 6 of the toughest bastards ever to grace a backline together.

If we played those teams with the 96 team, all the teams will be ****. We would beat every single one of them by 100+ points. We would have won 16 premierships in a row by now. Oh our backline! Martyn, Archer,King, Laidley.

10 years ago at this moment, I was sitting on a bus on my way down to Melbourne. Me and a mate could only get on one bus, so had to finish a uni assignment in about an hour on Wednesday night, and my mate skipped his exam on the Friday (knew he was going to fail anyway:D ).

Couldn't afford to fly being povo students, so took the bus option, and then proceeded to infect the bus with North Melbourne propaganda. We couldn't get tickets, but though what the hell, just wanted to be in Melbourne to soak up the atmosphere. Got into Melbourne on the Thursday afternoon, and went straight to Arden Street for final training. Was brilliant to see Arden St swamped with thousands of smiling faces and blue & white scarves. Because we got there a bit late, and couldn't see much, we jumped the fence and stood with the journo's on the ground during training.:p Had a chat to Tim Watson and Nicole Livingstone, I'm sure they were wondering who this scruffy, unshaven idiot was.

Friday was fun and games with the Grand Final parade, giving Dipper sh1t. Spent most of the day trying to scrounge tickets, with no luck :( . Watched the game on the Saturday, nearly burst a blood vessel in my head when Paul Kelly ran into goal, only for the pressure to be relieved when he missed. The sheer jubilation when the siren went was overwhelming. As soon as the TV coverage finished, headed straight into Arden St, timing was impeccable, walked in as the team bus pulled in! High fives and hand shakes as the boys exited the bus set the mood for the rest of the night.

Struggled back to Arden St for the family day on the Sunday, worse for wear. Was feeling game, so we went up the old fire escape stairs on the side of the social club to see if the door was unlocked, and as luck would have it, yes it was! Opened it up to see all the players, plus plenty of ex champions having the time of their lives, soon to be joined us.

Ahh, the memories. Can't believe that's 10 years ago. I am feeling old :eek:

giantroo said:
What a team? Guess whos right in the middle near the cup. JYD. Screaming his head off. What an animal!

[[/IMG]
Was working for a magazine company then and was lucky to score some A4 size snaps of that game which i have framed and plastered on my spare b'room walls. I have a ripper of Schwatter & JYD taken at final siren - Schwatter has his arms raised and JYD is squatting down holding his head - absolutely exhausted, jubilated and relieved. Remember that passage of play when he was going for the mark and backing back with the FAT BOY charging at him from behind - HAD NO FEAR.:thumbsu:

Gabbie said:
Was working for a magazine company then and was lucky to score some A4 size snaps of that game which i have framed and plastered on my spare b'room walls. I have a ripper of Schwatter & JYD taken at final siren - Schwatter has his arms raised and JYD is squatting down holding his head - absolutely exhausted, jubilated and relieved. Remember that passage of play when he was going for the mark and backing back with the FAT BOY charging at him from behind - HAD NO FEAR.:thumbsu:

Yep, I've got an A4 sized pic of Carey & Stevo walking around the boundary line, soaking up every second of the fans adulation. Was lucky enough to have them both sign in years ago, is a treasured possession.

Remove this Banner Ad

10 years ago today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back