Delisted 11: Cooper Whyte (2021 - 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Beautiful looking little kid, I hope that's ok to say that these days,..as we all understand,...but gee, time waits for no man!!!

Geelong Falcons rejoice after staying local at AFL Draft

A hint on the TV gave it away as Cooper Whyte finally lived his dream on Thursday night and he toasted it by heading straight in to town to meet some new AFL teammates.

Josh Barnes

A long night got even longer for Cooper Whyte on Thursday when the Geelong draftee found himself out on the town celebrating with his AFL teammates.

The Grovedale junior was made to wait during the second day of the national draft, with his name not called out until nearly 10pm, when the Cats picked him with the second-last selection used on the night.

After he enjoyed the moment with his family and some friends came around, Whyte was lured into Geelong pub The Deck to link up with Falcons teammates Toby Conway and Mitch Knevitt, who were both picked up by the Cats earlier on the night.

“I was actually pretty emotional last night, I didn’t think it would actually be like that,” he said on Friday.

Unlike his two local teammates, who were snapped up in the opening stages of Thursday’s affair, Whyte had to wait as clubs began to pass up picks before Geelong struck with the 64th overall selection.

“I didn’t actually know Geelong had another pick coming, I thought they were done for the draft and then I saw it come up the bottom and I was waiting on that and after that pick I was actually about to go to bed,” he said.

“When they panned to Geelong’s meeting room (on Fox Footy’s TV coverage) I could see on the screen in the background one of my headshots so that gave it away.

“Mum and dad and my brother went a little crazy when they saw that but I was a little bit silent because I didn’t want to assume anything.”

A skilful left-footer who drew the eye of Geelong recruiting guru Stephen Wells through is footy smarts, Whyte said he is keen to make the best impression he can once he begins training.

“Just through my training standards I want to earn the respect of the other players and just try and build relationships as soon as I get in there,” he said.

It makes me sad that Joel Corey and Tim Kelly died just for a Pies supporter to get their old number.

In all seriousness, that throwback picture is cute, the kid needs some PR lessons so he stops referencing a man charged now on several occasions of horrific crimes, and I'm hoping he grows into a gun player for us like our former elevens.

It makes me sad that Joel Corey and Tim Kelly died just for a Pies supporter to get their old number.

In all seriousness, that throwback picture is cute, the kid needs some PR lessons so he stops referencing a man charged now on several occasions of horrific crimes, and I'm hoping he grows into a gun player for us like our former elevens.
He’s a kid , he would only be referencing the football ability and not the person …I’d cut him some slack he’ll be come his own player eventually

I wouldn't worry about it, it's not that deep. If we took into account all the indiscretions that AFL players get up to every time we were comparing draftees we would run out of options pretty quickly.

Cousins, Carey, Kerr, Brereton, Ablett Snr...even Bailey Smith had some assault questioning recently. Hodge had a drink driving charge. The list goes on and on.

Stuff happens all the time...would be far from the forefront of an 18 year olds mind when speaking about his idols.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, inside/outside mid for mine. Was runner up in the B+F for the Falcons playing that position, and is arguably more adept there than Knevitt who only started playing it this year
I understand the big league is different but when I’ve seen him play it has has been as a goal kicking midfielder. Knevitt in those same games played mid/key forward.

Cooper has been delisted.

Wish him well.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back