Player Watch #11: Jake Batchelor - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

This is Adelaide's named ruck and forward line compared to our ruck and backline, ordered by height
Team | Player | Height | Weight | Order | Team | Player | Height | Weight
\ADE|Sam Jacobs|202cm|102kg|Ruck|RFC|Shaun Hampson|201cm|106kg
\ADE|Josh Jenkins|199cm|107kg|1|RFC|David Astbury|195cm|93kg
\ADE|Taylor Walker|194cm|98kg|2|RFC|Troy Chaplin|195cm|97kg
\ADE|Tom Lynch|191cm|87kg|3|RFC|Alex Rance|194cm|96kg
\ADE|Mitch McGovern|191cm|84kg|4|RFC|Nick Vlastuin|187cm|86kg
\ADE|Richard Douglas|180cm|80kg|5|RFC|Brandon Ellis|181cm|81kg
\ADE|Eddie Betts|172cm|72kg|6|RFC|Bachar Houli|180cm|83kg
Batch is 188cm 87kg, so would be above Vlastuin
Grimes is 193cm 88kg
All this tells people he is incapable of playing either tall or small. So you've made my point. This is why the RFC are not gifting him a game.

He is slow, but that doesnt mean anything as an inside mid. He is a big body, a tough player, good overhead and actually lays a pretty heavy tackle. Our current mids are far too small and get smashed inside. Jake wont make it as a defender, but is he worth trying as an inside mid? I couldnt see him doing any worse than our current crop. My only concern would be his tank, but I think he has the size and toughness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's painfully obvious that we are crying out for a decent inside mid - particularly one that is good at centre clearances. Bach isn't the solution IMO. Reckon this time tomorrow night, one of Marcon or Moore will have killed it at VFL (most likely Marcon is my tip) and the chorus will be singing loudly for his inclusion.

I'm a sucker for players like Batchelor. I'll take guts and physicality over class every day of the week.

That said, I will never forgive Batchelor for being flogged by Waite in the 2015 EF. More the coach's fault than Batch's, but being beaten by Waite is not something I can accept.

In the VFL practise game against the Northern Blues, he looked like a fair but not great VFL player. He has a job in front of him to get another game of AFL.

Batchelor was 23yo, 75 games, 188cm.
Waite was 32yo, 205 games, 194cm.

We all knew before the game it would be a difficult matchup. So did North, and that is why they exploited it. If they won the midfield, it was always going to happen.

Waite was always going to beat Batchelor in one on one leads for the ball, without any one standing in the hole. But who was delivering the ball Waite, who was on that player, who was stopping their mid field run.

So instead of fixing the real problem, we drop one of our most consistent defenders, from one of the best back lines.
And we will not make top 4 if we keep bringing in loads of kids, at the expense of our best team on the ground & increasing that team work & experience, with only 1 - 2 kids.

Ha, just noticed I was the last post here.

Seriously, we need to get Batchelor back in the side and playing this kind of role again, check out the brief bit of highlights in this video.
THAT is where he is a good player.

Get him back in asap.

Ha, just noticed I was the last post here.

Seriously, we need to get Batchelor back in the side and playing this kind of role again, check out the brief bit of highlights in this video.

Get him back in asap.
Theres a reason hes not in the side pal. And its because when the heat is on he fails more than most same as chaplin

I'm a sucker for players like Batchelor. I'll take guts and physicality over class every day of the week.

That said, I will never forgive Batchelor for being flogged by Waite in the 2015 EF. More the coach's fault than Batch's, but being beaten by Waite is not something I can accept.

In the VFL practise game against the Northern Blues, he looked like a fair but not great VFL player. He has a job in front of him to get another game of AFL.
For me Batchelor should never have played on Waite or anyone that is 2" to 3" taller. This is something Chaplin should of had to do when he was recruited. Unfortunately Chaplin is no good in a one on one & has only ever been good as the extra man in the contest or the loose man out the back. When he needs to be accountable he goes missing. Batch for me would be perfect for the 3rd or 4th forward, depending on who we are playing. I feel for Batch early on in his career when he was always playing on guys a lot bigger than him, yet when he gets a proper match up he becomes very handy for us with his ball use & help out other defenders when required. When we get Grimes back for the 3rd tall, Batch could be very handy to stabilize the back-line.
Also felt sorry for Vlaustin on Friday night against Darling who purely out sized him, Dimma really needs to look seriously at his match ups as he is doing serious damage to the players confidence with some of his positional picks.

For me Batchelor should never have played on Waite or anyone that is 2" to 3" taller. This is something Chaplin should of had to do when he was recruited. Unfortunately Chaplin is no good in a one on one & has only ever been good as the extra man in the contest or the loose man out the back. When he needs to be accountable he goes missing. Batch for me would be perfect for the 3rd or 4th forward, depending on who we are playing. I feel for Batch early on in his career when he was always playing on guys a lot bigger than him, yet when he gets a proper match up he becomes very handy for us with his ball use & help out other defenders when required. When we get Grimes back for the 3rd tall, Batch could be very handy to stabilize the back-line.
Also felt sorry for Vlaustin on Friday night against Darling who purely out sized him, Dimma really needs to look seriously at his match ups as he is doing serious damage to the players confidence with some of his positional picks.
Agree with all except if Batch plays on the third or fourth fwd then he lacks a yard.

Theres a reason hes not in the side pal. And its because when the heat is on he fails more than most same as chaplin
Has always been good in H&A , refer r23 2014, don't look at the stats 7 days later, but we re talking a spot in the side right now, he s in our best team easily , well ahead of what hunt has ever contributed

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #11: Jake Batchelor - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back