Past #11: Michael Firrito - did #11 proud - 2017 assistant coach at Strathmore FC w/ HMac & Narni

Remove this Banner Ad

What a legend. Absolute class. I'm going to miss him most of all
It's funny, my mate was teary for Drew and my sister was bawling her eyes out for Boomer.
Yet watching Spud there with his son, allowing Boomer the stage and taking up as much of the foreground as possible, that screamed a selfless North Melbourne person to me.
He played a ripper game too.
Spud is a champion of the club and although he didn't kick the goals or do the flashy things like Boomer who to me defines loyalty to a tee, it's Spud who epitomizes what sacrifice is all about when it comes to footy.

Last edited:
You're an absolute classy clubman and legend of North Melbourne Michael. You epitomise what it is to be a shinboner.

I still remember you playing in the middle when we had no one with grunt. You did the number proud. You deserve to pass it on as Arch did to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're an absolute classy clubman and legend of North Melbourne Michael. You epitomise what it is to be a shinboner.

I still remember you playing in the middle when we had no one with grunt. You did the number proud. You deserve to pass it on as Arch did to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He's the one l'll miss the most...an average player who gave his all every week...

It's funny, my mate was teary for Drew and my sister was bawling her eyes out for Boomer.
Yet watching Spud there with his son, allowing Boomer the stage and taking up as much of the foreground as possible, that screamed a selfless North Melbourne person to me.
He played a ripper game too.
Spud is a champion of the club and although he didn't kick the goals or do the flashy things like Boomer who to me defines loyalty to a tee, it's Spud who epitomizes what sacrifice is all about when it comes to footy.
I'm with you tazaa. As much as I have loved Boomer and Dish as North champions throughout their careers, it is Spud who has been the outstanding member of the Fab Four over the past month. Boomer, perhaps understandably, got too caught up in the games record milestone and in separating himself from the other guys in both the Etihad and Elimination Final farewells, he placed his achievement above theirs and it just didn't sit right with me. And Drew's efforts to sell himself to the selectors was a sad ending to a great career. Dal is in a different category, but his pressure on the club to inform about his contract was poor form too. Only Spud has kept his dignity and maintained his level of performance to the end. Massive respect to the guy.

Honestly... I hope Boomer sees this and the fans reaction to it.

Might be an important perspective for him.

Abso-effing-lutely.

Spud lives and dies for the club while Boomer might give the impression he does, but when push comes to shove he reverts back to type. Me,Me,Me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll just leave these here

R202014FirritoUmpire.gif

All class, Spud! :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: You are a true Shinboner! That video brought tears to my eyes!

Good luck for the future and thank you for everything you have done for the best club in the world, the North Melbourne Football Club. (Now that you are going to be a supporter like the rest of us, I know that you will read this! ;)).

Monster and Corey McKernan were in the hotel bar later that night and Spud came down and had a beer with them. Bruno Le Cras (I think), Dave Trotter and Kris Shore were there as well. A genuine who's who from that era! Trotter and Hamish were smashed when I left.

Great to see Trotter finally showing something, even if it is only drunkenness.

What a legend. Absolute class. I'm going to miss him most of all

I'm with you, Dorothy. Love the others, but the Spudcrow is my personal fave.

Never took a backwards step, and managed to get the most out of his ability. Two things I greatly admire in a footballer. Could play on talls or smalls, and as pointed out in an earlier post, didn't look out of place in the Midfield either. Showed an uncanny ability to peel off his direct opponent to add an extra number in marking contests. As his career went on, he also displayed excellent evasive skills for someone not overly blessed with pace. Perennially underrated player. The big fella's absence will leave a suitably big hole.

Did the hallowed #11 proud and then some, and I'd be happy to see it given a rest for a while until a worthy recipient presents down the track.

Club Champion whose anti-Essendon comments have just elevated him to Club Legend status.

There's talk that Gibson @ the hawks may pull up stumps..........and that the old crew are going around one more year, could spud slot into Hawthown's line up?? I actually maintain that spud played alright this year........I know its sounds crazy but there is a chance albeit a small one. Maybe a rookie spot, as insurance.

There's talk that Gibson @ the hawks may pull up stumps..........and that the old crew are going around one more year, could spud slot into Hawthown's line up?? I actually maintain that spud played alright this year........I know its sounds crazy but there is a chance albeit a small one. Maybe a rookie spot, as insurance.

Michael Firrito has retired.

Gibson just re-signed and Spud just announced he's retiring. No chance!

Spud Thomas Squibo

We're going to be our Flag backline back in 2009.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back