Past #11: Michael Firrito - did #11 proud - 2017 assistant coach at Strathmore FC w/ HMac & Narni

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I don't see spud or McMahon in our top 22. McMahons pace is a real shocker - time for spud to retire and maybe trade McMahon.

only think about Grima is he doesn't attack as much. Seems to always look sideways and backwards even when he is in space he tends to just stand in the spot. Very good at defending but footy these days needs players who can create also. has just turned 28, so if crows are after him, lets listen to see what they offer.

I'd put them all on the table as they all have plenty to offer just not with us in 2014 and beyond.
Grima would get us a decent pick IMO.

Adelaide might give us a early-mid 20's pick for him with a bit of luck.

Was very evident how much quicker the back line looked without Spud and McMahon.

Yep and it's awesome. The good judges were calling for this from the preseason.

Hine, Mullet, McDonald and surely Kennedy Alongside Thommo and Hansen.

We must be ruthless.

The game has gone past the first two for mine. They aren't quick or skillfull enough, and its pretty obvious when compared with the likes of Mullett, Atley, C.Delaney and Hansen, who have all bee fantastic when they have played in the last few weeks.

Narni will remain a good defender for us for the next couple years.

I'd put them all on the table as they all have plenty to offer just not with us in 2014 and beyond.
Grima would get us a decent pick IMO.

Adelaide might give us a early-mid 20's pick for him with a bit of luck.
Except Adelaide are out of the first two rounds this year. If they were trading it would have to be players. And I'd reckon their priority would be to trade back into the draft anyway, wouldn't it? IIRC, it was speculation based on an old Tasmanian connection.

I'm not prepared to write off McMahon yet. He has some excellent qualities that haven't been on show this year, mainly because he apparently has been eating all his teammates lunches when they aren't looking.

Spud. Hmm, probably as much as what Scott thinks in terms of his age whether he is done or not.

I'm not prepared to write off McMahon yet. He has some excellent qualities that haven't been on show this year, mainly because he apparently has been eating all his teammates lunches when they aren't looking.

Spud. Hmm, probably as much as what Scott thinks in terms of his age whether he is done or not.

I agree on McMahon not prepared to write him off for one interrupted ordinary season, I also don't see why he could not move forward in the twilight of his career.
Micky has probably come to the end of the road, it is sad to say.
Grima I would trade if someone wanted him, he is no where near the player he was 2 to 3 seasons ago and I think Luke is going to be a monster down back for a few years to come, I would definitely no let Luke go anywhere.

I'm surprised people are a little taken aback by these 3.

Wouldn't be surprised to see all 3 phased out of the side completely.

Grima is a good footballer, a very good one at times, but nothing more.

People are quick to sprout the line "When we are playing finals, player X will be in the side etc"

Well, some of the young players are coming through, others need to make way if we are to improve.

Spud and McMahon have played alot of games in some pretty ordinary sides tbh, great servants, but could you imagine any of them making the side in the 90's? I don't think so.

I think Grima is a keeper still. Yes Delaneys have done well but worse case scenario Grima is a great back up. Worth hanging on to. Mcmahon and Firritto are nearly finished with us. They just dont fit into where we are heading unfortunately but they have both been warriors through some tough times. I think GWS, Melb or Gold coast would look at picking them up as they still have good footy and leadership left in them. Hine has been absolutely fantastic. He reminds so much of Rawlings it's not funny and I love shouting out his name at the footy. Wright has gone backwards in my opinion. Really gone off and doesn't look to have much upside. Always looks to be battling out of his weight division. It's nearly safe to say Hansen has been a revelation in defence this year, but he still does 2-3 things a game that makes you scratch your head. He will be even better next year.

Grima is a top class defender when he is close to 100% fit. Ridiculous to get rid of him. If however he wants to move back to SA then obvious trade bait. McMahon is worth keeping for his experience but should not be an automatic 22 player anymore. If Spud wants to play on then let him, he's been a warrior and deserves another year. Getting rid of heart and soul type players can negatively effect the group, just ask the D's who specialize in doing this.
Good see a few new faces in the backline doing ok the past couple of weeks.

He may not be likely to move back there, but Grima is from Tassie originally, so may hold no special place in his heart for SA. Is setting up a business in Melbourne with turf/lawn isn't he?

Hmm interesting how Grima hasn't re-signed yet as far as I know. Maybe he's had other offers?
I'm not gonna cut Firrito just yet, we don't know the situation, maybe he's had an interrupted pre-season or was carrying an injury. But no doubt he's had a poor year.
But I wouldn't be offloading all our experience unless we can add some in return. They could still help teach the younger guys. It might be worth considering some kind of resting or rotation system.

Grima is a top class defender when he is close to 100% fit. Ridiculous to get rid of him. If however he wants to move back to SA then obvious trade bait. McMahon is worth keeping for his experience but should not be an automatic 22 player anymore. If Spud wants to play on then let him, he's been a warrior and deserves another year. Getting rid of heart and soul type players can negatively effect the group, just ask the D's who specialize in doing this.
Good see a few new faces in the backline doing ok the past couple of weeks.

Grima move back to SA? He is a Tasmanian, he only went there to improve his chances of getting drafted.

I think Spud and McMahon are capable of playing really good footy, however, they are not teens or in their early 20s any longer. As the potential line on the graph nose dives if the expectation line isn't compensating then you are in strife.

McMahon and Spud need to perform to get games, you can't wait 2-3 years for them to peak, if it is not happening consistently into your late 20s or early 30s then you are in real strife.

I think they will likely be retained and both can still play a role with the club but Spud is our 3rd most senior player, Loose 7th. You need to be leading the way at that stage of your career. It is tough but it isn't 2010 any longer, we are not in year 2 of a 5 year rebuild. The rebuild is over, it is now a performance oriented business for our senior players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spud and McMahon have played alot of games in some pretty ordinary sides tbh, great servants, but could you imagine any of them making the side in the 90's? I don't think so.

Probably a fair call. They would sneak in the best 22 players in those groups at their best, but agreed they probably wouldn't have actually got a game as our back 6 was very strong.

Spud has followed the natural trend, but then he still played some quality games this year despite some bad ones too. Grima is a little bit overrated on here for mine, handy player don't get me wrong but I am confident we can have the depth or can get someone in to do the job of he goes/gets injured. Its McMahon that has really surprised me how much he appears to have dipped, and so quickly.

you could argue they both would have been better players if they had the likes of Carey, Corey, Archer, Martyn, Stevo, Blakey, Schwass, Longmire, King, Laidley, etc around them.

Gibbo is consistently good for us and is currently deservedly in our best 22.

Absolutely. But I doubt it when the next crop come through was the point being made.

In 3 years i'd like to think McDonald, Garner, Harper, Jacobs types have taken over those spots. Gibbo's workrate will get him every chance though.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-08/firrito-not-finished-yet

"But I think like I do with all players; we'll sit down and discuss their form, their fitness, how they think they're travelling, their motivation to play on and I think we'll come to a mutual decision."

I reckon he's gone.

They can't run a headline saying "Firrito finished", so they produce this. Firrito gone, McMahon gone, Grima ok because he's a big defender who can run.

This one line statement was issued by Patrick Keane this afternoon.

"The AFL wishes to advise that Michael Firrito has withdrawn from the emergency players for North Melbourne’s round 21 match v Essendon tomorrow, and been replaced by Will Sierakowski."

Does anyone know why he withdrew?

Could be that he has been told he wont be required next year.
Could be that hes decided to retire and play one last game against collingwood.
Could have tried the buddy boots and sustained an injury to his calf.
Could have eaten some bad guacamole.

Recognise im no help here but I doubt its anything sinister...I think thats what im trying to say.
Best case senario would be that he no longer will accept mediocrity and find some amazing form regain his position in the team and lead us on.
If delaney goes might be wise to just hold him for 1 more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #11: Michael Firrito - did #11 proud - 2017 assistant coach at Strathmore FC w/ HMac & Narni

Remove this Banner Ad

Back