Delisted #11: Will "Meatball" Snelling - Delisted 25/10

Remove this Banner Ad

absolutely both are mids long term but if we are to improve, we cannot carry so many role players we do. Snelling should be in the 2's come round 1 next year.
Role players are vital to winning flags. Snelling is one that does it well and can kick a goal. Not sure why you're so keen to relegate him early

As is Snelling.

Snelling actually plays his role quite well. Covers territory and applies pressure.

Gulfi makes one of those superman smothers for every 3 time he can get close enough to try.

God we can relegate that dud to the VFL...

I know we like to be niche and go on about this and that stat but in the end the role of a forward is to kick goals.

Guelfi bettered Snelling's career best season in his first full season as a forward (17 versus 12) so lets not pretend he is something else.

I like Snelling but he doesn't tackle enough, nor does he kick enough goals for my liking and despite being that pseudo forward/mid role, he doesn't get enough of the ball either.

He has done what a mid season draftee was meant to be, someone a club can call upon to fill a role at AFL level.

Role players are vital to winning flags. Snelling is one that does it well and can kick a goal. Not sure why you're so keen to relegate him early

as I've mentioned, im happy to have a support cast but at the moment, we will be having 3 role players in our forward 6 (Snelling, Guelfi, Tippa) so for us to improve our output, we either need to have someone to step up and be a 30 goal a year small forward or we need to find someone who will do that for us.

as I've mentioned, im happy to have a support cast but at the moment, we will be having 3 role players in our forward 6 (Snelling, Guelfi, Tippa) so for us to improve our output, we either need to have someone to step up and be a 30 goal a year small forward or we need to find someone who will do that for us.
Walla isn't a roleplayer. He's closer to Charlie Cameron than to Jason Castagna. Has kicked 30+ multiple times throughout his career. Very disrespectful to put him in the same class as the other two

Guelfi gone past Snelling based on last year. Not that it may matter with maybe a clean slate

Also agree we need to move past these guys unless they can kick 25-30 goals a season. Guys like Davey have far greater skill, speed and ability to hit the scoreboard. As long as someone like him can provide the same up and back with pressure than he is the future.

Also dont have Snelling in best 22. Great depth player that can play his high half forward position when called upon

As long as we have all Zerrett, Parish, Shiel, Caldwell, Perkins, Hobbs, Tsatas ect around in 2024 we will need to have room for all these guys in the 4 onball positions and the rest in the forward 7. This isnt even including Setterfield

A lot of players go past Snelling purely by virtue of being able somewhat mark overhead and have kicking penetration beyond 35 metres.
But until they can perform a role the coach wants they do not go past him. Interesting year coming up. He is fringe 23 IMO and in an ideal world a few will pass him but they have to prove they can which has been a serious issue for us.

But until they can perform a role the coach wants they do not go past him. Interesting year coming up. He is fringe 23 IMO and in an ideal world a few will pass him but they have to prove they can which has been a serious issue for us.

Need to pick him for his defensive stuff and workrate, can’t pick him because he offers very little offensively and can’t create.

A quandary to be sure.

Perkins and Martin have the 2 HFF spots in my 22 if they do the team defence stuff first. Snelling and Guelfi onball in the 2s.

Need to pick him for his defensive stuff and workrate, can’t pick him because he offers very little offensively and can’t create.

A quandary to be sure.
I think that is over the top. This year he was average for sure but previously he was involved in a lot of play.
His stats for 2021 averages. GA 0.9 SI 6.5 SL 0.8. For a comparison McCluggage this year. GA 0.9 SI 6.5 SL 1.1 . Obviously kicked less goals but when you play continual defensive high half forward it reduces your chances at goal. McCluggage on a wing had similar scoring involvements.

Perkins and Martin have the 2 HFF spots in my 22 if they do the team defence stuff first. Snelling and Guelfi onball in the 2s.
I think Martin will play more wing now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's going to start as our small forward round 1 2023 bookmark it..!! Yes he had a lean year last year but wasnt alone - and people forget he was 3rd in our best and fairest in 2021 and in really good form averaging 18 disposals, 5 tackles and setting up lots of play around the forward line
Menzie or Wanganeen are possibilities but surely Snelling will get the nod before them?
Tippa is highly unlikely as he wont have played for nearly 2 years and he'll be nearly 30..
Not sure Scott will rush Alywn Davey in either rather just let him build some form in the reserves..
Snelling the obvious choice and lets hope he can rediscover that 2021 form

You need a bunch of guys like Snelling on the list if only so the coach has some tapes of defensive efforts to show young players each week and say "see - this is why you're not getting games"

This!

Having Snelling (and Guelfi) there as guys who will give 100% every week when they're out on the pitch forces young, talented guys to have to work to that level or not play.

I think that is over the top. This year he was average for sure but previously he was involved in a lot of play.
His stats for 2021 averages. GA 0.9 SI 6.5 SL 0.8. For a comparison McCluggage this year. GA 0.9 SI 6.5 SL 1.1 . Obviously kicked less goals but when you play continual defensive high half forward it reduces your chances at goal. McCluggage on a wing had similar scoring involvements.
Snelling didnt avg 0.9 GA or 6.5 SI in 2021

.45 GA and 5 SI

Snelling didnt avg 0.9 GA or 6.5 SI in 2021

.45 GA and 5 SI
Ture for some reason I inserted the 6.5 from McCluggage and have no idea why I put 0.9. AFL stats pro is 0.5. My point was he was not hopeless compared to one of the best players in the comp.

How would that work? If its wing and bench only that would mean each of the 3 players would only average 66% game time. All 3 can play forward so why not use them there?
"more rotating via bench" not all rotating via bench :)
Midfielders will be used there as well. Heaven forbid we actually use small forwards there as well.
Wing has plenty of running so forward time will be limited.

"more rotating via bench" not all rotating via bench :)
Midfielders will be used there as well. Heaven forbid we actually use small forwards there as well.
Wing has plenty of running so forward time will be limited.
Absolutely our forwardline will have lots of mids rotating through, including the wings. The only genuine small forward i think we'll have there is Tippa. Everyone else will be pinch hitting in the role of small forward so will have to apply pressure to keep their spot. Hobbs, Parish, Perkins etc. If Walla isnt ready id have the best performed out of Menzie or Tex but it could probably go to Snelling or Guelfi. If someone like Perkins isnt having an impact we might see both Snelling and Guelfi in the side, which both of them are midfielders pinch hitting in a pressure forward role, rather than being genuine small forwards

Id like us to try and limit it to just 1 of Snelling/Guelfi fighting for the same spot

Then if were battling id like to prioritse games into a Davey/Menzie whether thats for one of them or Tippa in the back half

Hobbs im playing for 20 games this year if fit but mainly as an onballer. Hes a better midfielder right now then say a Perkins is, but Perkins maybe with the greater ceiling

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #11: Will "Meatball" Snelling - Delisted 25/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back