Player Watch #12 Angus Sheldrick

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's see if he can stay healthy for 6 weeks and then decide if he can't get any opportunity.
I'd say we will be giving him a contract because we want him to stay. However, the western clubs will be more desperate for his services so will probably have better offers. It will then be a choice between battling for a spot in a team during a successful period or slotting straight into a team that will go through some harder times - and for more money and closer to home.
Decision time is coming.

I'd say we will be giving him a contract because we want him to stay. However, the western clubs will be more desperate for his services so will probably have better offers. It will then be a choice between battling for a spot in a team during a successful period or slotting straight into a team that will go through some harder times - and for more money and closer to home.
Decision time is coming.

He's contracted until the end of next year, so we don't need to worry about that really at the moment.

We will look back at this and it will be like Josh Kennedy not getting to play due to Brad Sewell….

Correct at the time, not correct in long term planning.

I wonder if this is another reason they won’t stand in way of Parker moving to north….if in doing that they can get Angus to sign extension.

We will look back at this and it will be like Josh Kennedy not getting to play due to Brad Sewell….

Correct at the time, not correct in long term planning.

I wonder if this is another reason they won’t stand in way of Parker moving to north….if in doing that they can get Angus to sign extension.
Yeah, I think Parker holding off on signing last time so that he could get a longer offer may be coming back to bite.

Our list is the healthiest in the league at the moment. At some stage there will be injuries and we are going to need guys like Gus to come into the side. At the start of the season our midfield was hammered with injuries to at that stage our 3 senior midfielders who would most likely have been best 22. Due to those injuries other players have played so well that they have locked out Parker and Adams from the mids.
If Gus comes back into the team and plays great then he should hold his place just like the others.

I think Angus will be a great player, but I don't think he comes in this year and makes us better. He'll need to get his body right, have a solid pre season and should be well placed to get some time in the seniors next year.

With Parker and Adams closer to the end of their careers, it would be ideal to have Angus waiting in the wings, developing his craft with a handful of games during 2025 and building to take a role from 2026 onwards. But with his injury history, he hasn't had the opportunity to get regular game time, Parker, Adams and Rowbottom are all ahead of him. If the western teams offer him a 4+ year contract on decent coin, and guaranteed regular game time, it's going to be tougher to get him to commit, especially if he gets injured again.

I'd love for him to stay, because he's the perfect age to take over when Parker and Adams retire, he should be a ready-made replacement by then, but the timing might be a little off and the offers from the West might be a little too enticing given his current situation. In saying that, a lot can change from now until this time next season, so it all really depends on how things pan out. At this stage it's all just conjecture.

Last edited:
My question is, what's his point of difference to Cleary? For me, they are fairly similar types, so do we need both of them on the list?

I like him as a player, but a top 25 pick would allow me to move on.

I don't think it's a huge loss for him either, we're a tough team to crack, WC are not. Opportunity counts

My question is, what's his point of difference to Cleary? For me, they are fairly similar types, so do we need both of them on the list?

I don't think it's a huge loss for him either, we're a tough team to crack, WC are not. Opportunity counts
Better mark, tackler, footy nous, kicks with both feet, speed burst from stoppages. And I really like Cleary!

Blakey joins young midfielder Angus Sheldrick who signed a two-year contract extension with the Swans earlier this season, tying him at the club until at least the end of 2025.

His got another season on his contract, how about we don't hit panic stations yet? :)

I rate Sheldrick quite highly, wouldn't surprise me if his around the best 22 next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gus’ status on the injury list has gone from “6 weeks” to “1-2 weeks” in the space of a week.

Good news - but god our injury list does my head in.
I guess they were being super cautious, due to the bad ankle injury he had at the end of last year.

But good he’ll be back sooner - even if it’s 3 weeks, it’s better than 6!

In a couple of years, there is going to be a more than a few on here wondering why we gave away such a good young player.

One day, somehow, it is all going to come together for Gus at the swans.

He will be fit, in form, his opportunity will come and the rest will be history.

Reminds me about the famous quote about patience.

“God give me patience, but I want it right now!!”

The point of difference will be - who is the better player?

That’s a question nobody can answer at this stage (although the club will have an inkling).

Blakey joins young midfielder Angus Sheldrick who signed a two-year contract extension with the Swans earlier this season, tying him at the club until at least the end of 2025.

His got another season on his contract, how about we don't hit panic stations yet? :)

I rate Sheldrick quite highly, wouldn't surprise me if his around the best 22 next season.

yep ... i was sure sheldrick would be best 22 this season but circumstances have prevented that
but i was excited by what i saw in him last year and i believe he is absolutely top of the list of our next generation midfielders (ahead of cleary, who also looks really promising), hopefully stepping up next season when he's healthy

yep ... i was sure sheldrick would be best 22 this season but circumstances have prevented that
but i was excited by what i saw in him last year and i believe he is absolutely top of the list of our next generation midfielders (ahead of cleary, who also looks really promising), hopefully stepping up next season when he's healthy
We have three solid inside midfielders on the fringe in Roberts, Sheldrick and Cleary.
Roberts has found his way into the backline and proved his value but will most likely be back on the fringe when Mills returns.
Cleary has had 20 minutes in seniors and some good games in VFL so we can mark promising.
Sheldrick has played well in seniors in the midfield and is the most promising but needs an injury free run and building form in VFL. He will probably run out of time this season.
Unlucky.

My question is, what's his point of difference to Cleary?
Anyone who actually answers this with certainty is writing fan fiction.

They're both still pretty much unknown entities as players.

It occurs to me that a fit and firing Sheldrick could be the best player on our list to take Wicks's spot and also include a rotation through the middle as well.
What is that based on though? Other than his debut game over two years ago there's no evidence he could do that role.

To my eye, Cleary is more a lateral movement, tackle-evasion style mid. Not so much burst speed, but clever positioning, quick hands, good side-step, and can gut run from the contest to make space on the outside.

Gus, on the other hand, is more a big-bodied, tackle-breaking mid, running straight lines at the footy. Think more JPK to Cleary's Hannebery (though Cleary yet to show he can build Hanners' tank).

What is that based on though? Other than his debut game over two years ago there's no evidence he could do that role.
Agree with caesar88, if Gus plays he will be battling for the 4th on ball spot that Adams currently has which is between 20-40% CBAs and around the ground stoppage midfielder

It's based on a thought bubble I just had, ok?

Anyway, my impression is that he tackles hard and is a cat's head. He also kicks well off either foot (ambifootstrous).

Of course, I may be completely wrong and told as much by those do-gooder lefties who use things like 'facts'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back