Player Watch #12 Angus Sheldrick

Remove this Banner Ad

We have lost two games this year. Not sure how any other year is overly relevant right now?
Because we have had the same issue for years, when we lose. We get beaten by players like Serong. Inside midfielders with clean hands that just dominate the middle, especially early in games.

If only this year is relevant on BigFooty, the two games we lost - Taranto and Serong have killed us in both of them.

We have someone on our list who plays like that, and some think he is disposable. He isn't.

Because we have had the same issue for years, when we lose. We get beaten by players like Serong. Inside midfielders with clean hands that just dominate the middle, especially early in games.

If only this year is relevant on BigFooty, the two games we lost Taranto and Serong have killed us in both of them.

We have someone on our list who plays like that, and some think he is disposable. He isn't.
My point about the two games is that it's fine to look at the two games we were beaten badly in the contest by opposition mids. But what about the thirteen other games? Are they rendered meaningless now?

My point about the two games is that it's fine to look at the two games we were beaten badly in the contest by opposition mids. But what about the thirteen other games? Are they rendered meaningless now?
No they aren't meaningless.

But we all complain, for example, about why we often start slow. We start slow because we get beaten around the ball by players like Serong.

So far this year, we have overwhelmed teams with our running players. But it doesn't change that there is a weakness there.

And we have a young player on our list who can help us with that weakness and some would be fine with letting him go play for another team. I am voting NO.

No they aren't meaningless.

But we all complain, for example, about why we often start slow. We start slow because we get beaten around the ball by players like Serong.

So far this year, we have overwhelmed teams with our running players. But it doesn't change that there is a weakness there.

And we have a young player on our list who can help us with that weakness and some would be fine with letting him go play for another team. I am voting NO.
I don't agree that we've overwhelmed teams with our running players. I think everything rolls off the back of our contested work, and that's gotten us on top in nearly every game we've played so far this year.

I think it's a little dismissive to what Heeney, Rowbottom and, to a lesser extent as the ruckman, Grundy have been doing on an almost weekly basis this year.

As a collective they didn't produce the goods today. It happens. I don't think they're perfect but they're improving, and as a long-time critic of our midfield, that's all I've wanted to see.

I don't agree that we've overwhelmed teams with our running players. I think everything rolls off the back of our contested work, and that's gotten us on top in nearly every game we've played so far this year.

I think it's a little dismissive to what Heeney, Rowbottom and, to a lesser extent as the ruckman, Grundy have been doing on an almost weekly basis this year.

As a collective they didn't produce the goods today. It happens. I don't think they're perfect but they're improving, and as a long-time critic of our midfield, that's all I've wanted to see.

I am not talking about the other players in the team. They are all great.

But we clearly have at least somewhat of a weakness with contested inside ball. When we lose, it is always that part of the ground and has been for years.

And we have a contested inside midfielder who can help us, who we drafted in the first round. Under no circumstances should we be even considering letting him walk.

But we clearly have at least somewhat of a weakness with contested inside ball. When we lose, it is always that part of the ground and has been for years.

And we have a contested inside midfielder who can help us, who we drafted in the first round. Under no circumstances should we be even considering letting him walk.

Yeah don't let him walk, but he isn't a proven commodity by any stretch.

I get what you mean, but I just don't think it's an issue yet. We've lost twice and the guys we already have have delivered in contested inside ball most weeks. They only need to do so three times in September and then it's Angus who?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adams was brought in as a contested beast

Cleary's best attribute was the contest at juniors

Rowbottom and Warner were both brought in as strong inside players

Putting all hopes on an injury prone 9 game 20yr old, you all are going to be very disappointed
Who is putting all hopes on Sheldrick?!

I am just saying we shouldn't be trading him. There is a big difference.

If only this year is relevant on BigFooty, the two games we lost - Taranto and Serong have killed us in both of them.

It's interesting you mention that Serong type of player, because we have one like that who as a junior had a reputation for being freakish in traffic, and we have never played him in the middle. Can you guess who it is?

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

It's interesting you mention that Serong type of player, because we have one like that who as a junior had a reputation for being freakish in traffic, and we have never played him in the middle. Can you guess who it is?

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
I am guessing you are referring to Florent.

Florent had plenty of chances in the mids.

B Campbell
Tho juniors perception doesnt seem relevant

Sheldrick is 3rd year as warner was when he had the big 2022

That Essendon guy had previously played 9games before winning the b&f

Ya small sample but Sheldrick centre square work last year was so refreshing, hopefully he can stay fit over the rest of the year, offer an option as there should be opps and he has a high level and well rounded skill set

If we're talking about potential piggies in the middle, McInerney looked the goods in the second quarter yesterday when Campbell was pushed up onto his wing.

The problem is that he's turned into one of the best wingers in the comp, but I'd love to see more of him on ball.

What is the consensus amongst Sydney supporters on Sheldrick?

Thought he looked exceptional in limited sample size, even in the VFL, but cant imagine a harder team to break into the midfield than your current group.

What is the consensus amongst Sydney supporters on Sheldrick?

Thought he looked exceptional in limited sample size, even in the VFL, but cant imagine a harder team to break into the midfield than your current group.
There’s no clear consensus.

But the general mood is he’s potentially a very good player that we haven’t yet seen a lot of due to injury.

The primary consensus - it’s a tough midfield to break into & West Coast will be waving the chequebook.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back