Player Watch #12 Angus Sheldrick

Remove this Banner Ad

Jed Lamb ...

Jed Lamb ...
That's very harsh Bomza!

I think we have a player on our hands with Sheldrick, unlike Lamb or Gould.

He's a consistent performer in the VFL and if nothing else, has shown he has the potential to play decent footy at the highest level.

He just needs to bang the door down more than he has this year.

Episode 18 Nbc GIF by One Chicago

That's very harsh Bomza!

I think we have a player on our hands with Sheldrick, unlike Lamb or Gould.

He's a consistent performer in the VFL and if nothing else, has shown he has the potential to play decent footy at the highest level.

He just needs to bang the door down more than he has this year.

Episode 18 Nbc GIF by One Chicago
Relative to the list position it's incredibly fair.

I'm a big Gus fan

However in a stacked midfield. Basically the best the swans have ever had. His place in is fortuitous.

The Adams for Gus war cry is extraordinarily ignorant and doesn't acknowledge or understand the jigsaw like makeup of a midfield.

He'll get his time. He's 21 ffs

I'm a big Gus fan

However in a stacked midfield. Basically the best the swans have ever had. His place in is fortuitous.

The Adams for Gus war cry is extraordinarily ignorant and doesn't acknowledge or understand the jigsaw like makeup of a midfield.

I don't disagree with any of that but maybe Tom Mitchell is a better example - good young player who simply has to bide his time. Jed Lamb was a potato LOL

I don't disagree with any of that but maybe Tom Mitchell is a better example - good young player who simply has to bide his time. Jed Lamb was a potato LOL
Morso the obsession with a player.

Jed Lamb was crazy and it bordered on comical.

The actuality was ignored. We deferred... To Hyperbole.

I'm a big Gus fan

The question being asked by most isnt whether Gus is, or will be good enough to play at an AFL level.

It’s whether he’s currently a better option than Taylor Adams. Or at least whether he should be played this week in case he’s needed as injury cover come finals.

I don’t see it as hyperbole. They’re fair questions.

Horse currently prefers Adams, fair enough. We are the minor premiers & Adams has been part of it.

But Adams’ form has been sliding, whilst Gus has been on the up.

The question being asked by most isnt whether Gus is, or will be good enough to play at an AFL level.

It’s whether he’s currently a better option than Taylor Adams. Or at least whether he should be played this week in case he’s needed as injury cover come finals.

Horse currently prefers Adams, fair enough. We are the minor premiers & Adams has been part of it.

I really hope that Adams is part of a premiership this year, otherwise he may end up solely being known for squeezing Parker and Sheldrick out of the team. I also don’t see this as hyperbole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The mids as they are won 13/14, and 16/22 to be minor premiers... and those later losses eerily coincide with a run of key injuries and forced personnel changes! And now you want to disrupt the mids further. Crazy to my mind!

If Sheldrick hasn't bought into the 'team first' ethos, then fine go somewhere else, we don't want you no matter how good you will be. If he has, he's well aware his time will come, and working to improve his game and flexibility, content with the knowledge that once he's in, it will take more that a couple of poor games to dislodge him!

Personally, I think only injury or suspension will change the midfield now, and I hope neither happens!

The mids as they are won 13/14, and 16/22 to be minor premiers... and those later losses eerily coincide with a run of key injuries and forced personnel changes! And now you want to disrupt the mids further. Crazy to my mind!

If Sheldrick hasn't bought into the 'team first' ethos, then fine go somewhere else, we don't want you no matter how good you will be. If he has, he's well aware his time will come, and working to improve his game and flexibility, content with the knowledge that once he's in, it will take more that a couple of poor games to dislodge him!

Personally, I think only injury or suspension will change the midfield now, and I hope neither happens!

So McInerney doesn't get back in?

Rusty, I have to disagree.

These are professional footballers who have a (very) limited window of opportunity to earn good money & set themselves up for life.

It’s not about “team first ethos” or some sense of loyalty. It’s about a career*.

* except for Judas.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All going well, he has a massive injury free preseason and he is primed and ready to go in 2025.

He has been injury free for around 6 weeks, and been playing some very good football in the reserves, and despite our midfield being destroyed in the clearances, and clearances being Sheldrick's big strength Longmire still refused to play him.

In fairness KS, that same midfield have also been nowhere near the level we need them to be at for a few months now. So I think changing things up is a reasonable discussion. I just think reality needs to come into it. Heeney, Rowbottom & Warner are not going to be budged from the midfield no matter what any of us fans may think, so anyone in the mids with them has to be able to play in other roles as well, like Gulden & McInerney (wing) and Papley, Parker & Adams (forward)

It would be cool if, now that the VFL is over, Sheldrick trained as a forward for the rest of this year, just to see how he goes and if he can add that string to his bow.

He has been injury free for around 6 weeks, and been playing some very good football in the reserves, and despite our midfield being destroyed in the clearances, and clearances being Sheldrick's big strength Longmire still refused to play him.
I don’t think he has completed a full preseason since he came to the club. He has constantly been injured.

It can take 3-5 preseasons for AFL players to build the tank to run out AFL games. He has been back for 5 games.

Cleary is an inside midfielder too, just more versatile thus can contribute up forward and had a full uninterrupted preseason and season to date. Who is coming out of the inside mid mix for Sheldrick?

2022 plays Round 2, injured and returns in Round 14, plays rest of season.

2023 plays first half of season, gets run of AFL games then a season ending injury once again

2024 doesn’t play until around 4, has a string of games (5) and then missies the next 7 rounds due to injury before returning for the final 5 games. At least 2 of those 5 games were nothing special. The other 3 were numbers you’d expect of the number 1 inside mid.

As I said, let’s see him get a full preseason under his belt and I think we will see him very much in the mix for Round 1 2025 selection. Poor kid hasn’t had much luck with his body, let’s get it right.

I really hope that Adams is part of a premiership this year, otherwise he may end up solely being known for squeezing Parker and Sheldrick out of the team. I also don’t see this as hyperbole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If Adams squeezes people out of the team that will be the coaches' doing, not his. If they painted themselves into that corner let's make sure we apportion blame where it belongs.

While I agree with the sentiment, time has run out in 2024. We've had the opportunity to test who we think will be required depth, and if we have the misfortune of injuries cutting beyond that number, then we'll just have to take a gamble with whoever we entrust in that role. Whether that's Gus, or someone else we haven't been able to give an opportunity to in 2024.

1 or 2 games isn't necessarily a great sample size either so is unlikely to tell us much at all about a player's form at senior level.

All going well, he has a massive injury free preseason and he is primed and ready to go in 2025.
Exactly Masey.
He is contracted for 2025 & I have no doubt part of our plans going forward, perhaps why there may be chatter of Parker looking to extend his career elsewhere. From the way both Horse & Parker have answered media questions on the topic, I get the feeling there has been discussion from both parties on how to arrive at the best outcome for both Luke & the club.
No guarantees of senior footy at the Swans in his final year, 2025, but the ability to add 2026 to his career.

This leaves plenty of time for Gus to blossom alongside our other mids. He will be fine but will become disenchanted if he is fit & playing good footy in the twos but has both Adams & Parker ahead of him.

Rusty, I have to disagree.

These are professional footballers who have a (very) limited window of opportunity to earn good money & set themselves up for life.

It’s not about “team first ethos” or some sense of loyalty. It’s about a career*.

* except for Judas.
Hmmm... I'm not rusty...:think:

And that's okay... I don't expect you to agree... it's just my opinion

In fairness KS, that same midfield have also been nowhere near the level we need them to be at for a few months now. So I think changing things up is a reasonable discussion. I just think reality needs to come into it. Heeney, Rowbottom & Warner are not going to be budged from the midfield no matter what any of us fans may think, so anyone in the mids with them has to be able to play in other roles as well, like Gulden & McInerney (wing) and Papley, Parker & Adams (forward)

It would be cool if, now that the VFL is over, Sheldrick trained as a forward for the rest of this year, just to see how he goes and if he can add that string to his bow.
I've already posted my thoughts on the slump twice now... I'm not going through it again...

I'm expecting big things of Sheldrick next year... but unless there's an injury, I'm not expecting him in this year... and I'm seriously not expecting him to leave because he didn't get a game... That was my point.

You said only injury or suspension should prompt a change in midfield? Or did you include returns from injury?
Sorry, perhaps it wasn't clear... I'm fully expecting the McInerney, Papley and Chad will come back into the team and be a part of the midfield as they have been all year. I am not expecting Gus to come in this year...

As much as possible I'm expecting Horse to stick with the team that got to 13-1, 3.5 games clear with 150%. I expect him to draw the sub and any injury changes from players that have already played roles this year...

I like Gus and if he ever has an injury free season, he might turn into a fine AFL player... but for me, that time is not now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12 Angus Sheldrick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back