#12 - Daniel Talia

Remove this Banner Ad

Got some feedback from South Adelaide that they were excited to get Talia because of huge talent and flexibility ,even though think will only be one season.

From what I heard he also has a very strong character, something we factor very highly. The kid will stick his head down and his bum up and work hard at every level of the game. Might be a potential leader.

Some clubs seem to not factor the character as highly as others which accounts for some variance.

Received a bit of information from someone who works at one of the AFL clubs (they asked that I don't name the club) about how that club saw Talia.

Apparently they rated Talia very highly, 8th to be precise (behind the "clear top 6" and Melksham), and said that Talia and Moore were the only real talls that they rated. That being said, the person who sent me the information doesn't think Talia has the body to play as a midfielder because he has queries over his durability and already has had injury issues. Other than that he would apparently be good as a midfielder, but is also good enough as a tall to be very highly rated by that club.

They also had Gunston rated around 20 or so but ended up getting a player they had listed one spot before him. I could put that in the Gunston thread but it may as well go here I guess.

Received a bit of information from someone who works at one of the AFL clubs (they asked that I don't name the club) about how that club saw Talia.

Apparently they rated Talia very highly, 8th to be precise (behind the "clear top 6" and Melksham), and said that Talia and Moore were the only real talls that they rated. That being said, the person who sent me the information doesn't think Talia has the body to play as a midfielder because he has queries over his durability and already has had injury issues. Other than that he would apparently be good as a midfielder, but is also good enough as a tall to be very highly rated by that club.

They also had Gunston rated around 20 or so but ended up getting a player they had listed one spot before him. I could put that in the Gunston thread but it may as well go here I guess.

too early to on whether Talia has the body type or durability to play in the midfield, once he stops growing and has had a couple of years in a full time training environment we will know more

lets remember that plenty of experts in the early years thought that Ben Cousins didn't have the body or durability to play in the midfield either, when drafted Cousins was a chubby kid but its amazing what you can do when you push your body to the limits and do all the necessary preventive maintenance

Was named second best for that game in the paper. Don't know how much to read into it though. Trying to track down some comments from a mate.

Was named second best for that game in the paper. Don't know how much to read into it though. Trying to track down some comments from a mate.
Yes the feedback I received from Souths coaching staff was they were impressed with Talia first up game with good skills and quick movement for big player with a booming kick.
They expect him to play most of season with them mainly at CHB as still needs to bulk up a little before becoming a regular quality AFL player in 2011. With Sellar out this week might get a look at game.

That wouldn't be all muscle mass just yet though. Give him this year and another pre-season and he'll be tip top.

Actually I'm sure it is. Apparently he took his top off at the draft to put on his new crows top and Rowey and Cornsey said he was extremely cut. NC has also said his skin folds are up there with the best in our club. No fat on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His body fat levels are elite for his age.

Looks to be the type that can add muscle and drop fat quick, not that he doesn't work hard though.

I think I remember a quote somewhere saying that he'd been seriously preparing his body(ie Physical conditioning) for AFL footy for the past 2 or so years, hence his current physical condition which extremely rare for draftees his size. It would not surprise to see him seriously pushing for a spot in our side by midseason or even earlier, the only thing holding him back at the moment would be his lack of a quality preseason.

Also the complete opposite of what ive heard. van Berlo would have gotten the 3 votes had it been a real game.

The Sunday Mail said he only played for a half.

Having said that I've come to the point in my life where I find random anonymous sources on the internet more reliable than the Sunday Mail!

EDIT - I do realise the two aren't mutually exclusive, they are obviously unlikely though.

Anyone know what happened to DT on the weekend? He didn't play for the Panthers and isn't on the injury list. Was he dropped for poor form or is he sick?

Agreed :thumbsu: I'm really fascinated to see what Talia can do. It feels like he has so much less fanfare than our previous top draft picks. Sellar was a highly sensationalised pick because he'd been touted as a potential #1 pick. Then Dangerfield was hugely sensational with the whole Ebert/school in Victoria thing, and Davis was made more interesting when Rendell came out and made his "second best player in the draft" statements.

With Talia there's been almost silence. He's got a big body but he's been injured and is fresh out of the juniors so it's a bit much to expect anything out of him this season, but I'm really interested to see how he goes anyway. Hopefully next year we'll see him in the tri-colours.

And, kudos to Phil Harper for the prompt reply. One thing you simply cannot question the Crows about is their professionalism when it comes to replying to emails :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

#12 - Daniel Talia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back