#12 - Daniel Talia

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Selection #13 - Daniel Talia

How is the development of Talia going. Had big wraps on him when he was drafted and havent heard anything since. What are his chances of playing now with all your recent retirements?

How is the development of Talia going. Had big wraps on him when he was drafted and havent heard anything since. What are his chances of playing now with all your recent retirements?
Injured for the best part of the year...knee.

I think the rumours of him wanting to go home were merely that, I saw him on the weekend and he was on his own (in terms of Crows players) but had a few mates with him...including one tidy piece ;).

Considering he could be at home in Victoria on his break, I take it as a good sign he's still in Adelaide on his break...

As CC said, it's been injuries this year. He was injured when we recruited him which hurt his preseason, and then got injured again early in the year.

The club seems to have high wraps on him but we'll have to wait until next year to see how he goes.

I would expect him to be a little way down the pecking order in terms of playing in 2011, but with any luck he'll get a game or two as injuries/form/suspensions dictate.

I think I remember people saying he performed well in the games he did play down in the backlines. He's a unit now from all reports.

Injured for the best part of the year...knee.

I think the rumours of him wanting to go home were merely that, I saw him on the weekend and he was on his own (in terms of Crows players) but had a few mates with him...including one tidy piece ;).

Considering he could be at home in Victoria on his break, I take it as a good sign he's still in Adelaide on his break...
Had a solid 'piece' on Draft night as well.

Fair to say he cleans up.....unless that was his sister?

A couple of Vics I spoke to at the MCC this year mentioned Talia. They (both old time Demon supporters) are looking forward to him playing his first game. Both said we did well to get him.

Seems to be a lot of non Crow people also expecting big things from him.

Personally I wouldnt have a clue.

From what I saw of him at SANFL level he looks promising. He put on a lot of baulk when he arrived but struggled to adjust to the higher level of competition.

I think he's been stuck in Adelaide doing his knee rehabilitation over the past month or so, so fingers crossed he'll be good to go come November and be able to get a full pre season under his belt :thumbsu:

If he can't crack the senior side hopefully he'll enjoy his time down South and play some great games for them.

From what I saw of him at SANFL level he looks promising. He put on a lot of baulk when he arrived but struggled to adjust to the higher level of competition.

I think he's been stuck in Adelaide doing his knee rehabilitation over the past month or so, so fingers crossed he'll be good to go come November and be able to get a full pre season under his belt :thumbsu:

If he can't crack the senior side hopefully he'll enjoy his time down South and play some great games for them.

In a roundabout way, I dont want him to crack our senior side in 2011. As it means we have injured players, or our KPP are not as good as we epxect them to be. Although he needs a taste of AFL. Like Patty, Andy, Walker, Tip and co all had before playing most of a full season the next season.

Am I right to understand he is our long term replacement for Stevens? The "swingman" role?

I would say he'll get atleast 2 or 3 games this year, just to give him a taste of it (much like we did with Danger).

I would say he'll get at least 2 or 3 games this year, just to give him a taste of it (much like we did with Danger).
Danger got those games in his first year though (and went on to play majority of 2nd year onwards), but i guess Talia is KPP, so he'll probably get a few opportunities, but unless injuries open up positions, we may not see much of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd prefer Fyfe. Tapscott and Bastinac look alright as well.
Gah. I'm still completely puzzled by the Talia decision. And, while I know he's had a shit run with injury and is a long term prospect, he hasn't exactly shown a whole lot when he has been fit to ease my mind.

He was seen as clearly the best key back in the lead-up to the draft, and arguably the best tall full stop (Butcher the only competitor). I guess we figured he was a bargain at pick 12.

I'm assuming we didn't view mids as a priority for whatever reason.
They did view mids as a priority and were very disappointed when all the ones that Rendell & co rated above Talia were gone before our pick. They expected at least 1 or 2 of them to slide, but none of them did.

Anyone have an idea of the mids they would have taken if they slid? I'm guessing Lucas and Gysberts
Not Gysberts. Fairly sure I remember reading that the AFC recruitment panel thought he was mentally weak and wouldn't make it at the senior level.

From memory, Sheppard, Moore, Lucas & Melksham.

I'd prefer Fyfe. Tapscott and Bastinac look alright as well.
Gah. I'm still completely puzzled by the Talia decision. And, while I know he's had a shit run with injury and is a long term prospect, he hasn't exactly shown a whole lot when he has been fit to ease my mind.

Too early to be talking Talia down as a bust. This fella will take longer to develop than all of your prfered players but will be as good as any of them in a couple of years time. Being down at South is doing the lad no favours either.Adelaide should try to have him moved to Norwood to accelerate his development under the next crows coach!!

Remove this Banner Ad

#12 - Daniel Talia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back