Player Watch #12: David Astbury - Has decided to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Well if the Aish deal goes through they will only have #26 & # 47 (collingwoods picks) and #41.#42 as they will need to give up #17 for bastinac with #34 or #40 coming back. unless they use next years picks which they wont do imo

#26 would be the only deal i would take , The others are pointless
17 for Bastinac is insanity, even with a pick coming back

We might get the Lions 2016 2nd rounder for him seeing as we're looking to get back into the 2016 draft 2nd round.
If it meant we could get back into the second round of next season I'd be fine with it. Presumably a pick in the 18-24 region and would give us a clean set of picks to use.

Right...Seems like Dave is staying put.

What his role with us now...does he compete with Elton for Chaplins spot...or take on Griff and Bean for CHF?

I don't think he has got the bag of tricks that Griff and Bean have...what's his core skill...lead up marking?

What his role with us now...does he compete with Elton for Chaplins spot...or take on Griff and Bean for CHF?

I don't think he has got the bag of tricks that Griff and Bean have...what's his core skill...lead up marking?

He is absolutely not an AFL forward. Swing-man is a stretch.

Chaplin has shown that you don't need to be fast to play the role he's been playing
Astbury is pretty good at reading the play and he's better 1 on 1 than Chaplin so I hope he gets a crack at playing alongside Rance which he's never had much opportunity to do in recent years.

Chaplin has shown that you don't need to be fast to play the role he's been playing
Astbury is pretty good at reading the play and he's better 1 on 1 than Chaplin so I hope he gets a crack at playing alongside Rance which he's never had much opportunity to do in recent years.

Agree. Hope he stays fully fit and has a full pre season. If he does that, i can see him knocking chaplin out, which is a good thing as Chaplin is 30 now

We are running the risk of him being worth next to nothing by letting him rot in the VFL next year
By not trading Dave out this year is foolish as all people with any form of brain cell (rotted wasted or even dead) damn well know unless Chaplin is faced with a serious injury then he won't get a gig. Even if he does get a gig then the probability of us winning a game is low as based by our winning record when he's in the team
The notion of him playing forward is a joke as McBean is our leading goal kicker in the seconds and is more credentialed and after him comes Mckenzie
Elton plays b4 Dave if any backmen goes down. To me if we can grab a 20-30 pick for him would be a big win for BH and the RFC
By keeping him will mean this time next year they will have most lost the opportunity to trade him and the. Be forced to delist him for nothing. Ala matt madonut

We are running the risk of him being worth next to nothing by letting him rot in the VFL next year
By not trading Dave out this year is foolish as all people with any form of brain cell (rotted wasted or even dead) damn well know unless Chaplin is faced with a serious injury then he won't get a gig. Even if he does get a gig then the probability of us winning a game is low as based by our winning record when he's in the team
The notion of him playing forward is a joke as McBean is our leading goal kicker in the seconds and is more credentialed and after him comes Mckenzie
Elton plays b4 Dave if any backmen goes down. To me if we can grab a 20-30 pick for him would be a big win for BH and the RFC
By keeping him will mean this time next year they will have most lost the opportunity to trade him and the. Be forced to delist him for nothing. Ala matt madonut
Mate, we might very well have to delist him...but we did try to find him a new home. Ponder this scenario...if indeed Elton is next in line, Dave has a year remaining, we will cut him in 2016...so we would be crazy not to take any offer for him, yes? That's why I don't read medja stuff to deeply, this stuff about us wanting #17 from the Lions...if he on his last 12 months, we would have taken what we could.

I truly believe his 2nd k'cap was the end for him...medicals are his issue, not trading. I'm not angry with anyone here, seems to me a good prospect has had a shitty run of injuries...happens!

Mate, we might very well have to delist him...but we did try to find him a new home. Ponder this scenario...if indeed Elton is next in line, Dave has a year remaining, we will cut him in 2016...so we would be crazy not to take any offer for him, yes? That's why I don't read medja stuff to deeply, this stuff about us wanting #17 from the Lions...if he on his last 12 months, we would have taken what we could.

I truly believe his 2nd k'cap was the end for him...medicals are his issue, not trading. I'm not angry with anyone here, seems to me a good prospect has had a shitty run of injuries...happens!
still when he was fit although he played ok, we weren't winning games.He destabilizes the side imo and is not needed.We were never going to get 17 for him .This was BF twits talking after a severe joint session.He's A late second to mid 3rd at best.

I do agree with your rating...to me it's clear that nobody ponied up. We both know management would prefer a value reduction rather than a complete bust...he just won't pass medicals again I reckon. If he still had his agility this thread would not have started.

For my part I am glad we held him ... seems Carlton would not have taken 17 either for Yarran and that was the only reason to consider letting him go. First half of 2014 was an epiphany ... we got to see just how good Astbury could be when fit and at full flight. Talls can often play on for longer so I can still see him being important to us in the next couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This morning KB and Denham discussed Dave. Apparently Dave got offered 3 years on 'good' coin to head north, but his management knocked it back...they wanted 4. Interesting huh!

Dave's going to back himself in to get a better deal next year...either with us or elsewhere. The club clearly didn't put pressure on him...meaning next year I'm expecting hot hot hot competition for Chaplin's position...Chaplin, Elton or Dave. Good to have competition...

tickled pink were keeping big dave, our back half looking even better with him staying and the inclusive on yarran, more gruntier midfield time for vlossy on the agenda and as we know yarran and astbury can beef up our forward power if and when required...

Astbury is actually a very very good footballer and if fit definately worth more than our 2nd round selection next year which is effectively what we gave up to keep him.

He does provide good depth for us and his value to us is more than what we would get in a return which in reality was only an upgrade of our #31 to #21/#17 which would have gone to carlton.

If Dave has a good preseason and remains injury free - Kid can play

Not dissapointed at all to keep him. Hoping the body can hold together and he can have a consistent crack at it next season

I'm happy we kept David ..IF he can get a bit of pace back he has the smarts and discipline to be a long term cog I'm our back line ...I see him replacing Chaplin ( not the same type of player I'm aware ) but I think he has the smarts to take on the back six generals role
I like Elton as back up and hope he can continue to develop ....and with Rance,Grimes and Bachelor I think we have okay coverage there at present
Same with the forward line talls 5 key talls on the list is acceptable ..( could possibly even trade Griffiths next year to work our way back into the draft )
With this coverage forward and back at the moment it is imperative that we get a ruck next year draft/ trade ..I know Vickery or Griffiths can come on in that area but in reality we need a monster an absolute dominant Ruckman throw the sink at Goldstein .. I really think if we want to go all the way it needs to be addressed...( I'm aware Hawthorn have done it without a champion ruck but their skills around the ground compensate for that .we aren't at that level )

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #12: David Astbury - Has decided to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back