Player Watch #12: David Astbury - Has decided to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

A Must watch.

"Fundamentally, when people say to you, “It’s just a game”; they’ve got a point. It is just a game. But that’s not why you do it. This group’s delivered hope, purpose, connection and joy to our people. The Richmond people. It’s something that I implore you to continue the way you go about it. Because it’s really special. Be proud of it. Because I am."

Well said, Dave. I'm proud of it too.

he had me almost flat our bawling a number of times watching his farewell

….he walked in the door at Punt Rd with Dustin, Dylan

….with them he experienced highs and lows…..well hardly any lows for Dusty

….thank you Dusty and Dylan for making my year a super draft

Hope he is not lost to the club…has a lot to offer in the head space area….and the notion that playing for the RFC is not just about a game…he has some much positive impact on people’s lives

True legend. Hovered around getting delisted or traded for a while there when injuries and form meant he couldn't crack the senior team but dug deep and worked his arse off to become a 3 time Premiership winning KPP. Shining example of hard work paying off, you love stories like Daves.
Enjoy life after footy big fella.

Also, didn't realise he's from Tatooine, makes sense now that I think about it.

True legend. Hovered around getting delisted or traded for a while there when injuries and form meant he couldn't crack the senior team but dug deep and worked his arse off to become a 3 time Premiership winning KPP. Shining example of hard work paying off, you love stories like Daves.
Enjoy life after footy big fella.

Also, didn't realise he's from Tatooine, makes sense now that I think about it.

Tatyoon

Go Well Dave , You deserved every game you played and was unlucky with injuries early on and probably misses 50-70 games

You earned and deserve every accolade bestowed on you and could have taken more money to move to Brisbane 5 years ago but stayed a loyal Tiger

Enjoy the rest of your life mate. You did the RFC & #12 proud

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A legend of our famed backline.

Thanks for playing a big part in our Premierships.

Enjoy your next chapter in life David Astbury!!!

Carried Richo’s number and legacy on.

Now to pass the baton onto our next Tiger champ.

Farewell Tiger!

D04209DA-C225-45F9-A014-AE32576FD725.gif

So the time has come that we farewell the first of our 3x Premiership champions. Dave Astbury you have persevered through numerous injuries and form set backs, survived being put up for trade (thank god) and that bloody stingray. You raised your game and became a highly valued member of one of the best defences in the modern era. An underrated member of our 3 premierships you’ve worn the number 12 with distinction. You make me proud to be a Tigers fan.

Congratulations and I wish you well in your future endeavours.

154 games
3 Premierships

I’ve followed David’s career from the outer, as I wanted him at Essendon in his draft year. There was many a time where I never thought he would get a proper run at it, but I’m so happy that he finally got the continuity and then the ultimate success of premierships.

This retirement has surprised me considering he’s still relatively young, but despite all the obstacles he’s faced with injury, he leaves still on top of his game. Go well in retirement, Dave!

If you don’t well up watching that retirement speech you aren’t human. What a contribution this man has made to our club as a player but more importantly as a person. Although none of us are in that inner sanctum you can see from all the club media pieces thru the years that he is a much loved character at the club and a driving force in the culture shift. All the best in the next part of your life mate. 🏆🏆🏆

Huge loss for us given his leadership. Massive last five years for us and a member of one of the best back 6/7 in the comp over those premiership years.

Obviously feels his body can’t go through another year. Operation #15 next week. Has put it all on the line.

thanks for the service big fella. All the best in retirement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back