Retired #12: Mark Baguley - Will retire at seasons end - 27/8

Remove this Banner Ad

If one sledged Lamb about the circumstances of his father's death, knowing what happened, then that's well beyond the pale.

As said, if Lamb accepts it was done unknowingly and the apology is accepted, then it's best to move on. But anyone who does it from here on is a shit bloke and deserves to be called out as such.

If you'd lost a parent or loved one in that manner you wouldn't like being sledged for it either.

Agreed Doss. But if old mate Jed lamb wants to dish it out knowing damn well in this case that Baguley was sensitive about the birth mark on his face then he better be ready for some sauce thrown his way. Baugley has told lamb several times previously not go there.

For him to act like the white knight here is not only a piss take is borderline pathetic. Should have stayed on the field where it belongs.

In the end, I would think if Lamb and Bags had their time again, they both would have kept their traps shut.

Lamb commenting on a birthmark Baguley can't help is boorish and classless, and needless.
Bags bagging his father is boorish and classless too, and needless.

In the end sledging is unfortunately unavoidable, but surely it's not hard to focus on the individuals' own football shortcomings without bringing petty shit like physical appearance and family into it.

I also have little doubt that Bags was genuine in not knowing about Lamb's father's circumstances.

All in all, move on.

Last edited:
It's got to the point where either everything is acceptable or nothing is. How do you measure how much someone is going to be offended by a comment, whatever it is?

And it's hypocritical for Lamb to be sledging others when anything he says also has the potential to be extremely offensive. He can't know the circumstances of every player he "agitates", so he could also be crossing the line.

Yet another one in the long list of dumb actions by professional athletes - These things are easily avoided if you don't sledge your opposition - This goes for both Baguley and Lamb.

If Bags did know and deliberately target Lamb about his Dad then I think that's very poor form and should be dealt with accordingly. Having said that, is any sledging acceptable in this day and age? Do players have a duty of care to check out whether their opponent might have emotional triggers related to anything they might say?

Like do you need to make up briefing sheets listing everything you can't sledge them about... in case they're sensitive about their religion, ethnicity, family, other circumstances, etc.? Like I don't think anyone would be deliberately sledging about religion or ethnicity in this day and age (not with all the uproar about it surely?), but do you then have to be aware of it just in case something could be construed as a slur? Like apparently calling someone hairy is super offensive now. What if Hep took that as a slur? :think:

And why are these slurs particularly offensive, whereas sledging about the saga or whatever is okay? Surely if any of them affect mental health, all of them do.

Maybe we should just ban sledging altogether.

Agree 100% - What rule states you need to speak to the opposition.

This incident reminds me of the McGrath - Sarwan one, and having heard Bags' side of the story, my reaction is much the same.

Either sledge and accept whatever comes back your way, or don't sledge at all. In this case, I get the impression that it was dealt with on the field, the last thing either guy wanted was to have the incident all over the press.

There's only 1 sledge you ever need: "scoreboard mate". Now if we could just make sure our score is higher than our opponents.
Yeah was about to say that's probably not a good sledge for us right now.

Zach Touhy is mouthing off at Mark Baguley after the Irishman kicks his third goal from 55 out. Baguley laughs, shrugs it off, and points upwards into the stands. "Scoreboard, mate", he says.

Essendon 23, Geelong 141.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This incident reminds me of the McGrath - Sarwan one, and having heard Bags' side of the story, my reaction is much the same.

Either sledge and accept whatever comes back your way, or don't sledge at all.

This. As soon your sledges get personal and go beyond football you have to be willing to cop personal back.

I mean imagine if Baguley started the sledging by commenting on Lamb's appearance and then flipped his shit when Lamb retaliated with comments about his birth mark. Everyone would be calling him a hypocrite.

When I was playing U13s junior footy in the EFL, we were getting pumped by around 150 points. Good old Croydon v Norwood.

One of the Norwood boys turned to me after they kicked their 20th straight goal, and said, "You guys are shit".

Pure and simple one of the best sledges ever; mainly because it was completely true and to the point.

I wish I could say that we went on to win that game, but we lost by 232 points and I managed 2 tackles, 3 handballs, and 3 turnovers.

When I was playing U13s junior footy in the EFL, we were getting pumped by around 150 points. Good old Croydon v Norwood.

One of the Norwood boys turned to me after they kicked their 20th straight goal, and said, "You guys are shit".

Pure and simple one of the best sledges ever; mainly because it was completely true and to the point.

I wish I could say that we went on to win that game, but we lost by 232 points and I managed 2 tackles, 3 handballs, and 3 turnovers.
yeah but how many pressure acts did you have?

yeah but how many pressure acts did you have?
I put pressure on the captain's Dad to make sure I didn't get any dodgy orange slices at half time, I'll tell you that much

Zach Touhy is mouthing off at Mark Baguley after the Irishman kicks his third goal from 55 out. Baguley laughs, shrugs it off, and points upwards into the stands. "Scoreboard, mate", he says.

ha

i had a laff at this.

I put pressure on the captain's Dad to make sure I didn't get any dodgy orange slices at half time, I'll tell you that much

Ah junior footy. Lollies, oranges and ****head parents. I miss thee not. I do miss the kids excitement though. Usually at what they were going to get from the canteen after the game.

Strong username to content correlation :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #12: Mark Baguley - Will retire at seasons end - 27/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back