Retired #12: Mark Baguley - Will retire at seasons end - 27/8

Remove this Banner Ad

The wise fish dont take the boncer bait...

Thought you were better than that Bruno! ;P

But.... How does the hierarchy work in a position change?

Can we assume he had moved out of his defence hierarchy then leapfrogged the 5 - 6 names on the small fwd hierarchy list?

Or once in the side do you get special exemptions to move sideways at the same hierarchical level from one area to another?

That's what the Melbourne Metro lacks, more cross map lines that make travel between lines more efficient.

But I digress

Can we assume he had moved out of his defence hierarchy then leapfrogged the 5 - 6 names on the small fwd hierarchy list?

Or once in the side do you get special exemptions to move sideways at the same hierarchical level from one area to another?

That's what the Melbourne Metro lacks, more cross map lines that make travel between lines more efficient.

But I digress
I asked a question Howie.

Don't overthink it.

I asked a question Howie.

Don't overthink it.

Reminds me of the classic Stewart v Bruce debate... I staked my claim on Stewart being equal with scope for much better

Weeks pass with Stewart playing well, I heard nothing, gave nothing back. (Model citizen) Next minute Stewart loses form and I'm recieving pity likes and links from errywhere!

Meanwhile Bruce still hasn't got past 3 games this year

I wouldn't say I'm happy for him to stay in in that role but if he continues to be dangerous and actually hit the scoreboard I'll happily tolerate his inclusion until we bed down an alternative.

Reminds me of the classic Stewart v Bruce debate... I staked my claim on Stewart being equal with scope for much better

Weeks pass with Stewart playing well, I heard nothing, gave nothing back. (Model citizen) Next minute Stewart loses form and I'm recieving pity likes and links from errywhere!

Meanwhile Bruce still hasn't got past 3 games this year
Yeah sorry. Forgot that Bruce would be injured this year.

And I think I maybe mentioned it once or twice. Which strangely I remember get a couple from you too.

So maybe want to hold ten on patting yourself on the back and climb off your pedestal there buddy.

Coz hell here is your post in April after James started well

Poor man's Josh Bruce...

Ask boncer34 he gets the joke

And yes I admit I childishly waited until after he got dropped to reply

I'm still not laughing.

Did I make further cracks? Probably, cant remember. Where were they Howie?

Oh and you might want to check what your initial claim was.

I never know when you are trolling any more!

Smith >> Steele
Stewart > Bruce

Bruce had a good first year but a poor second one.

our duds were free hits though, very little cost at the end of drafts?
Last I looked > didnt meant equal. Might be wrong though Howie

Last edited:
I didn’t watch the game either but **** he played well.

But I digress
Pretty sure you move straight across like the Paris metro. Hookesy did it and now bags. Colyer gets his spot wherever they can fit him. Stringer now has the Stringer role which didn't
exist until they discovered the Stringer role. Lucky for him. Makes me think maybe the whole "role to play" thing could be overstated on here. Surely we've seen that the best teams to a large extent find roles to suit their players and not the other way around. Though Woosh was pretty keen to pigeon hole perhaps one of our most versatile players in Goddard but that could be because they don't believe he has the pace anymore though he seemed alright last year. I suppose you can always catch a bus, i think it could be an under utilised service in the grand scheme of the Melbourne transit system. Sure nobody really knows where they go or what times they run but wait... what are we talking about?

Pretty sure you move straight across like the Paris metro. Hookesy did it and now bags. Colyer gets his spot wherever they can fit him. Stringer now has the Stringer role which didn't
exist until they discovered the Stringer role. Lucky for him. Makes me think maybe the whole "role to play" thing could be overstated on here. Surely we've seen that the best teams to a large extent find roles to suit their players and not the other way around. Though Woosh was pretty keen to pigeon hole perhaps one of our most versatile players in Goddard but that could be because they don't believe he has the pace anymore though he seemed alright last year. I suppose you can always catch a bus, i think it could be an under utilised service in the grand scheme of the Melbourne transit system. Sure nobody really knows where they go or what times they run but wait... what are we talking about?

reckon Bags is probably the old silver Hitachi train - we sold them off because they were old and sub par then realized we got caught short so needed to buy a few back and keep them in service. Sure they still work and do the job, but I think we are past them now...

Just a reminder Bags has been our second best small forward this year despite never having player forward before and doing his pre-season as a defender. People are seriously underrating his efforts.

View attachment 528252

You have got to be kidding. Firstly Baguley gets the worst defender/most offensively orientated defender each week and they pretty much ignore him which is how he gets most of his stats to begin with.

Secondly 12 of Tippa's disposals are worth about 24 of Baguley's. Not to mention Tippa's tackling pressure is in an entire different league to Baguley's. Tippa makes the entire opposition defense scared and pressured to play on quickly. Baguley tackles with intent but he's pretty slow to close men down in comparison.

I don't think I need to argue about Fantasia who is another tier above again.

Baguley is a stop gap measure up forward. If Begley was fit, he would be playing 2's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baguley is really a more effective Kommer. Provides good pressure, isn't a great goal kicker (but I must admit has improved) but the fact we need someone to play the role he does is an indictment on the team. Stuff like that should be a non-negotiable in a professional setting. I mean it's a non-negotiable aspect of the team sitting dead last in C Grade VAFA!

Baguley is really a more effective Kommer. Provides good pressure, isn't a great goal kicker (but I must admit has improved) but the fact we need someone to play the role he does is an indictment on the team. Stuff like that should be a non-negotiable in a professional setting. I mean it's a non-negotiable aspect of the team sitting dead last in C Grade VAFA!

yep, ive always thought that role could be used for the next wave of young midfielder who wants to prove themselves, charge them with the task of tackling, harassing and generally doing what bags is doing - good way to work yourself up to AFL standard

other teams seem to routinely put their younger inside mids as defensive fwds to start their careers

yep, ive always thought that role could be used for the next wave of young midfielder who wants to prove themselves, charge them with the task of tackling, harassing and generally doing what bags is doing - good way to work yourself up to AFL standard

other teams seem to routinely put their younger inside mids as defensive fwds to start their careers
No, I mean it should be a non-negotiable team wide thing. You don't do it, you don't get picked. Should be a team wide thing and needing somebody to have that "role" is stupid in itself.

Set it in stone now.

Bagleys role isnt "pressure player" that roles isnt intended to be a role in the team. hes there because his effort, experience and defense first mindset is what the coaches want to instill in the rest of the group up there.

As soon as players around him display what he is consistently and provide more attack he will be out.

Just a reminder Bags has been our second best small forward this year despite never having player forward before and doing his pre-season as a defender. People are seriously underrating his efforts.

View attachment 528252
I was genuinely surprised to see Green have so many tackles.

Who's Bags fighting with for the small forward spot(s)? If it's Green and Colyer then the selectors have made the right decision having Bags as the constant with the other 2 seemingly fighting it out.

When we can afford to drop Bags we'll be a better side but right now he deserves his spot which says more about where the list is at than having anything to do with Bags and the effort he brings week in week out.

View attachment 528252

Just a reminder that we have far more sophisticated tools to assess player value.

I crunched some numbers using the AFL player ratings, which is the most sophisticated tool we have for measuring a players impact on their team's success. I compared Baguley and Tippa since Baguley switched forward.

Tippa has had a far greater impact on Essendon's success during this period than Baguley. On a per game basis, his positive impact is roughly 40% higher. In the 11 games that they have played together in the forward line, Baguley has been the better player on three occasions.

Tippa is a high-impact player per disposal, similar to a Cyril Rioli, while Baguley is a low-impact player per disposal. In comparing him favourably to Tippa you are seriously overrating his efforts.

Just a reminder that we have far more sophisticated tools to assess player value.

I crunched some numbers using the AFL player ratings, which is the most sophisticated tool we have for measuring a players impact on their team's success. I compared Baguley and Tippa since Baguley switched forward.

Tippa has had a far greater impact on Essendon's success during this period than Baguley. On a per game basis, his positive impact is roughly 40% higher. In the 11 games that they have played together in the forward line, Baguley has been the better player on three occasions.

Tippa is a high-impact player per disposal, similar to a Cyril Rioli, while Baguley is a low-impact player per disposal. In comparing him favourably to Tippa you are seriously overrating his efforts.

AFL player ratings are useful but not perfect. The same ratings put the following ahead of Heppell on the weekend (who will likely get our boards votes, the top AFL coaches votes and the 3 brownlow votes):
  • Myers
  • Walla
  • Parish
  • Guelfi
  • Dea
  • Langford
  • Hurley

and from GCS:
  • Holman
  • Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired #12: Mark Baguley - Will retire at seasons end - 27/8