#13: Chris Yarran

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can see that 60/40 for Lids becoming 80/20 soon. He'll basically become a medium forward who has the occasional run in the guts.
His workload will need to be monitored closely from here on in.
As a mid that would be great.Can never have enough high quality mids. Especially when you have so few.

Totally agree with a few of you in that we need an upgrade on batch as that 3rd tall.
I don't think you can have a Astbury/elton with a Chaplin as we lack mobility. Mcintosh physically could do it but his lack of footy smarts worries me. He played this position in the vfl in his first 2 years (when not injured) and looked lost. His reaction time was poor and had a few bags kicked on him. He's a brilliant athlete hence I believe better suited to the wing. Perhaps we could try play grimes in this position, but he's great on smalls. I think they'll persist with batch, but hopefully he can add a few more offensive strings to his bow!
Just on Kamdyn. He was superb as a junior defender and has all the attributes to play as hard running third tall defender. If we took the time and made the effort i have little doubt he could become a very decent key defender in time.
The club recruited him to play as a mid and even in the ressies that is where he has MAINLY BEEN PLAYED. Yes he played games in defense, but i think the key point is he did nothing in either role as a mid or defender in his first two seasons.
The main reason and you hit upon it, was a lack of continuity due to ill timed injuries. he basically played one season in his first two. His first two years were interupted enough with injuries he could not really get going in any role we tried him in..

I have not suggested we play one of Astbury/Elton with Chaplin. I have suggested we play one of them in his stead.My preference is Todd Elton i actually see a fair bit of potential in him.He is a far bigger body and a much better athlete than Astbury and imo is very good in the air or should be anyway.
I wont talk about Batchelor because i dont want to get into a slanging match, needless to say i have a low opinion of him as a defender. .

FFS GUYS START A THREAD TO DISCUSS YOUR IDEAL BACK 6. STOP DERAILING EVERY THREAD. MOPSY YOU HAVE MADE SOME GREAT POINTS LATELY BUT SERIOUSLY MATE START ANOTHER THREAD. LAST WARNING FOR ALL.

I suspect we will set up to allow Houli and Yarran to run fro behind the ball. That sort of means we need them in defense. But that would loosen it up a bit. So I suspect floating defensive mid role, even rotating back and mid would work. The key is to have them moving forward with the ball in hand and space. I am just hoping that we see a lot of Yarran running forward and pin pointing a KPF, or going home himself. Just a 2/3 more of those per week would cause big problems for other teams. If it gets to be >= 1 per quarter then he has been a huge recruiting coup. That would mean 2+ extra goals per week form the talls, and a freeing up of the smaller forwards. Not a huge change, but it would be a stpe up in our forward line. Which has been fairly just OK recently.

1990 Michael Mitchell at the SCG took the ball deep in defence and ran taking 7 bounces and kicking a goal; what a run and this is what Yarran has the potential to bring to the club playing in defence - part of why season 2016 is so exciting.... Ooohhhhh yyeeeerrrr

Last edited:
For those concerned about Yarrans preseason, it's nothing compared to Bennell over at Freo. He has barely stepped foot on the track according to Tim Gossage on SEN today.
The club is doing the right thing by easing Yarran into it, no sense in flogging mature aged players during preseason. Want him flying coming to the backend of the season.

Totally agree with a few of you in that we need an upgrade on batch as that 3rd tall.
I don't think you can have a Astbury/elton with a Chaplin as we lack mobility. Mcintosh physically could do it but his lack of footy smarts worries me. He played this position in the vfl in his first 2 years (when not injured) and looked lost. His reaction time was poor and had a few bags kicked on him. He's a brilliant athlete hence I believe better suited to the wing. Perhaps we could try play grimes in this position, but he's great on smalls. I think they'll persist with batch, but hopefully he can add a few more offensive strings to his bow!
Rewatched the R7 game v Pies last night.
Elton has a looong way to go to get another gig in 2016

For those concerned about Yarrans preseason, it's nothing compared to Bennell over at Freo. He has barely stepped foot on the track according to Tim Gossage on SEN today.
The club is doing the right thing by easing Yarran into it, no sense in flogging mature aged players during preseason. Want him flying coming to the backend of the season.

Big name port recruit Charlie Dixon has now also had knee surgery, so it really could be worse than what Yarran is going through

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yarran is clearly recruit of the year.

He doesn't get rubbed out for drugs.

Doesn't get serious career threatening injuries, he even trains sometimes.

:thumbsu:

Carlton supporters don't like this.

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power.

Met a Carlton supporter at the gym this morning. He reckoned Yarran is a jet that will light the tigers up. Thought Carlton was the wrong place last year. Only happy thought for him is that they should beat Essendon. Nice to hear from a Carlton person that what I think is probably right. Doesn't mean much. But when a club's supporters think that their club is the wrong place for a talented player then that is a bad sign. Hope he is right though, an inform Yarran would help us so much. Recruit of the year.

stuff the blooz and anyone else, he can spend all year getting fit and play finals only if he can light up the turf like that

yaz vickery rioli
lennon riewoldt lloyd

That's a forward line that makes me drool

stuff the blooz and anyone else, he can spend all year getting fit and play finals only if he can light up the turf like that

yaz vickery rioli
lennon riewoldt lloyd

That's a forward line that makes me drool
Dangerous looking forward line, based on that I also assume (hope) Lids is playing more midfield again, with stints forward.

So this raises a question. Is Lloyd best 22 or just very handy backup? Lennon is likely capable of just as many goals per game but has more size, tools and likely way more potential. However apparently Lloyd has really upped his running this pre-season.
So what do we do with him? I don't know that both Lloyd and Lennon play in the same 22 and for me I'd have Lennon. Though.. maybe Lloyd gets the nod over Rioli for now, we know nothing about what Daniel is capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back