#13: Chris Yarran

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
KB the perma-troll not convinced about Yarran's contribution to the Tiges...

“David King has said that Chris Yarran is going to be the key to Richmond’s premiership potential,” said Bartlett on SEN radio.

“I hope he’s right and Yarran is the difference for Richmond but he’s got more confidence than me.

“I think the jury is still out for me with Chris that he can play good consistent football week in, week out.”

http://www.sen.com.au/news/01-16/bartlett-not-as-smitten-over-yarran-as-king#PgoMkU4SH6ICphd1.97

Also mentions that Dusty could be playing across HB.... Has Dusty ever played off hb for us or KB smoking some super strong crack?

Yaz may not be our key to a flag, there's plenty of pieces in that puzzle, but he is one piece we need and I can't wait to see Yaz give it to the blooze in Rd 1 to make a point. Even if he a does a hammy like Cuz vs the blooze, it'll be worth it.
Hope Dusty doesn't play across HB. Rather see him mid/resting forward. If he ends up in the backline we've lost the plot.

Hope Dusty doesn't play across HB. Rather see him mid/resting forward. If he ends up in the backline we've lost the plot.
Didn't we play dusty at HB for a little while in early 2014 (when we were uber rubbish)? .... worked about as well as one would have expected, IIRC.

Didn't we play dusty at HB for a little while in early 2014 (when we were uber rubbish)? .... worked about as well as one would have expected, IIRC.

I can't remember him playing back previously (not to say it didn't happen).

He's such a great player one on one in the forward line as well as a gun mid, I can see no advantage of him playing back.

I can't remember him playing back previously (not to say it didn't happen).

He's such a great player one on one in the forward line as well as a gun mid, I can see no advantage of him playing back.

I was worried I dreamed it all up, but it is referenced briefly here.
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-05-08/martins-big-midfield-ambition

In hindsight it was probably done more with a view to develop the defensive side of his game rather than as a permanent long term option.

dusty needs to play 70/30 guts and up forward lids 60/40 forward and guts. yaz and houli off a hbf is dangerous jack and vickjesus will be licking there lips
Can see that 60/40 for Lids becoming 80/20 soon. He'll basically become a medium forward who has the occasional run in the guts.
His workload will need to be monitored closely from here on in.

Dusty plays in defense quite a lot. Defends about as well as turnstile but he hunts down the cheapies and kicks the shit out of it. I'd imagine Yarran will take those minutes but at times dropping Dusty back to help us move the ball is pretty handy.
And here in lies another issue I have with Dusty. When he does just kick the shite out of it, he kicks it to a very speculative area, of which a heap come back to hurt us. He simply really needs to run the ball more, not panic and find a man. This drives me crazy, and he did it a lot in the EF.

KB the perma-troll not convinced about Yarran's contribution to the Tiges...

“David King has said that Chris Yarran is going to be the key to Richmond’s premiership potential,” said Bartlett on SEN radio.

“I hope he’s right and Yarran is the difference for Richmond but he’s got more confidence than me.

“I think the jury is still out for me with Chris that he can play good consistent football week in, week out.”

http://www.sen.com.au/news/01-16/bartlett-not-as-smitten-over-yarran-as-king#PgoMkU4SH6ICphd1.97

Also mentions that Dusty could be playing across HB.... Has Dusty ever played off hb for us or KB smoking some super strong crack?

Yaz may not be our key to a flag, there's plenty of pieces in that puzzle, but he is one piece we need and I can't wait to see Yaz give it to the blooze in Rd 1 to make a point. Even if he a does a hammy like Cuz vs the blooze, it'll be worth it.
hope he tips blooze rd 1

And here in lies another issue I have with Dusty. When he does just kick the shite out of it, he kicks it to a very speculative area, of which a heap come back to hurt us. He simply really needs to run the ball more, not panic and find a man. This drives me crazy, and he did it a lot in the EF.
Good teams shut down our outlets, it's pretty much Houli or bust. Yarran to me will play back as that's where he's most needed. Throwing Dusty back is a temporary fix as he's clearly there to kick us over a zone, if it's come to that then we aren't running it well enough to create space or we aren't getting open enough to move the ball by foot and hand. Either way when Dusty is played back we are in a bad spot and are hoping that he can force the opposition to back up their press to guard against his long kicking game.

Of our halfbacks, Vlaustuin, Grimes, Batchelor and Houli only the latter has pace and a decent rebound. We need to look at the other three and find a combination there that offers pace and defensive ability. At a guess I think Vlaustuin will need to move at some point soon and one of Grimes/Batchelor need to be dropped for a defender that isn't a liability with the ball in hand.

On the wings Ellis, McIntosh and Grigg all lack speed and penetration with the ball. All three are league quality footballers but I don't think the mix in there is right. Obvious candidates at the moment seem C.Ellis, Menadue, Lennon, Markov, Chol, Deledio, Yarran, I'm not suggesting they are better players or in some cases even ready but their athletic traits or kicking skills are lacking in the current group.

It's a given but at the expense of whom is the question.
Well I would play Astbury FB at the expense of Batchelor, with Chappy as the 3rd tall. Have Grimes play batch's role with yarran as the 7th defender.

Grimes Astbury Chaplin
Vlastuin Rance Houli with Yarran as the 7th defender.

Batch and Hunt miss out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can see that 60/40 for Lids becoming 80/20 soon. He'll basically become a medium forward who has the occasional run in the guts.
His workload will need to be monitored closely from here on in.
Agree. I think the club mentioned this last year and Lids himself might have said something in an interview.

Those wanting Lids more in the middle may have forgotten about this.

Bang! Bang!

For some reason every time you do that , I think of a very loud Knock, Knock joke.....:p...

Maybe we could run a comp for the punchline?;)

Well I would play Astbury FB at the expense of Batchelor, with Chappy as the 3rd tall. Have Grimes play batch's role with yarran as the 7th defender.

Grimes Astbury Chaplin

Batch and Hunt miss out.
I would rather play Elton/Astbury at F/B in Chaplins place. I would prefer we replace Batchelor with McIntosh. Kamdyn is 192/91 and can easily play third tall while providing needed run. He is not slow either in fact is quick for his size i stand corrected but he recorded a 2.9 for 20 metre sprint.
Grimes currently gets the job on opposition small forwards and has done okay on them.We have chased a decent player for this role for years now. Why change it ?
Finally Yarran replaces Vlastuin in a win win scenario. We gain Yarrans pace and rebounding ability and Vlastuin can now continue his education and play hopefully as a big bodied mid which is badly needed.
Grimes - Elton/Astbury - Houli
Yarran - Rance - McIntosh
Four blokes over 192cm yet we dont lose run or pace but have cover in the air.
Four blokes blokes who provide run and rebound with decent pace in Yarran and McIntosh.

Grimes Astbury Chaplin

Batch and Hunt miss out.

Any chance Hunt could go defensive forward ? I'm just thinking aloud as he does have a good turn of speed & defensive mindset ?

Any chance Hunt could go defensive forward ? I'm just thinking aloud as he does have a good turn of speed & defensive mindset ?
We should be done with defensive forwards ala Morris. We need a Cyril/Wingard type whose primary focus is offensive with defensive efforts thrown in. Hopefully Lloyd or Yarran will be able to step up here as I don't think Rioli will be able to play straight away.

We should be done with defensive forwards ala Morris. We need a Cyril/Wingard type whose primary focus is offensive with defensive efforts thrown in. Hopefully Lloyd or Yarran will be able to step up here as I don't think Rioli will be able to play straight away.

Agree but I'm not sure Lloyd has that strong turn of pace & if we play Yazz out of the backline he displaces someone like Hunt. Not sure if Dan will be ready by round one? Just thinking Hunt is AFL ready may be a defensive forward with offensive possibility?

Agree but I'm not sure Lloyd has that strong turn of pace & if we play Yazz out of the backline he displaces someone like Hunt. Not sure if Dan will be ready by round one? Just thinking Hunt is AFL ready may be a defensive forward with offensive possibility?
Can't do any worse than Morris did. Worth a try in NOB cup and see what happens...as an option for depth/flexiblilty.
Bet he can't do starjumps as well as Morris though!

I would rather play Elton/Astbury at F/B in Chaplins place. I would prefer we replace Batchelor with McIntosh. Kamdyn is 192/91 and can easily play third tall while providing needed run. He is not slow either in fact is quick for his size i stand corrected but he recorded a 2.9 for 20 metre sprint.
Grimes currently gets the job on opposition small forwards and has done okay on them.We have chased a decent player for this role for years now. Why change it ?
Finally Yarran replaces Vlastuin in a win win scenario. We gain Yarrans pace and rebounding ability and Vlastuin can now continue his education and play hopefully as a big bodied mid which is badly needed.
Four blokes blokes who provide run and rebound with decent pace in Yarran and McIntosh.
Totally agree with a few of you in that we need an upgrade on batch as that 3rd tall.
I don't think you can have a Astbury/elton with a Chaplin as we lack mobility. Mcintosh physically could do it but his lack of footy smarts worries me. He played this position in the vfl in his first 2 years (when not injured) and looked lost. His reaction time was poor and had a few bags kicked on him. He's a brilliant athlete hence I believe better suited to the wing. Perhaps we could try play grimes in this position, but he's great on smalls. I think they'll persist with batch, but hopefully he can add a few more offensive strings to his bow!

My back 7 is predicated on Vlastuin playing as a defender. If Vlastuin goes into the middle then Batch plays his role. I like McIntosh as a winger as being that tall around the ground is a good thing. I haven't seen enough of his ability to actually defend so I prefer him elsewhere. Chaplin plays simply because he is good as an organiser and until Elton or Astbury is the same he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back