Senior 13. Jhye Clark (2022 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't call Guthrie a star and was an average player for a long time. I hope that clark reaches a higher level than Guthrie 2012-2019

Maybe but a guthrie 2012-2019 level (ie solid b+ grade 200 gamer not a star) is a good return from a r1 pick. If we get that i would be satisfied.

Looks a bit Jack Vineyish to me.

Smaller-bodied hard nut mid that will go harder for longer and have more intensity in tight than most.

That characteristic is great and makes him dominant v 17/18 year olds but will need a bit of time to be able to harness it against men.

The concern for me is that he’s not cracking in at VFL level as he was touted to do at U18s. He’s standing flat footed off the contest.

The concern for me is that he’s not cracking in at VFL level as he was touted to do at U18s. He’s standing flat footed off the contest.
That's certainly been noticed... His #1 attribute is winning the ball in tight due to going harder than others.

If he isn't doing that, it's not like he is going to be breaking lines like Holmes does or gut run all game long like young Oliver Hollands is doing for Carlton.

I'm hoping he turns into a Zak Butters type... Small bodied but excels due to his desperation.

Might take a little time to get confidence to really crack in against men.

You basically just described cam guthrie from 2012 to 2019. If thats the level we get clark at its not a bad thing.
To be fair Guthrie stared early as a small defender. He did the job a number of times on Cyril over the years and others.

It was the transition to midfielder that was the painful part. Took him ages to nail that role. Many wanted him to be just moved back. I mean from year 2 onwards CGuthrie has played 18+ games.

Bartel and Chapman stick out as guns that took seasons of VFL to get going. All of those guys played AFL year 1.

Probably because we've been so strong for so long....but Geelong always seem happier to draft potentially longer-term project type players, and not so much the 'instant plug-n-play' types.

If we were a bottom team who needed a massive injection of instant talent, then sure go for the quick fix pick.....but Clark has plenty of time to develop his game in our environment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's certainly been noticed... His #1 attribute is winning the ball in tight due to going harder than others.

If he isn't doing that, it's not like he is going to be breaking lines like Holmes does or gut run all game long like young Oliver Hollands is doing for Carlton.

I'm hoping he turns into a Zak Butters type... Small bodied but excels due to his desperation.

Might take a little time to get confidence to really crack in against men.
Butters, Rozee and Duursma all showed more than glimpses in their first years, and certainly in their second years.
That comparison is presently not applicable.
I know the Coreys at Geelong took several years to show "it", so there is hope, but to many of us watching Clark, he seems to be a long way off, and does not have elite skills, or elite pace.
Patience is a virtue, but presently, height and weight are perhaps the only applicable similarities.

Butters, Rozee and Duursma all showed more than glimpses in their first years, and certainly in their second years.
That comparison is presently not applicable.
I know the Coreys at Geelong took several years to show "it", so there is hope, but to many of us watching Clark, he seems to be a long way off, and does not have elite skills, or elite pace.
Patience is a virtue, but presently, height and weight are perhaps the only applicable similarities.
Yeah that was posted nearly 1.5 years ago.

Upon seeing Clark much more since then I can sadly but confidently retract pretty much all hope of him being a Butters type.

That was best-case scenario type stuff... Not what I would have bet on, but what I was hoping for.

Perhaps Jy Simpkin is more realistic now after seeing Clark a bunch.

Still think he is a good couple of years away from stepping up in any big way... Once more size goes on he will shine brighter.

Think he’ll still play 200 games for Geelong. But as that blue collar hard nut. Similar role that Sewell had at hawks or K. Jack at swans. Another Atkins.

You need foot soldiers like this in finals type games.

When you compare to what was used on him, a top 10 pick, it is disappointing from that perspective (as these types can be picked late in drafts) and I stand by my pre draft call that we should’ve gone Phillipou or Ginbey, but I think we’ll still be pleased at the end of his career.

We just need to have quality around him so he’s our 3rd or 4th string mid. Bailey smith is a start… need another couple.

Give him time

Think he’ll still play 200 games for Geelong. But as that blue collar hard nut. Similar role that Sewell had at hawks or K. Jack at swans. Another Atkins.

You need foot soldiers like this in finals type games.

When you compare to what was used on him, a top 10 pick, it is disappointing from that perspective (as these types can be picked late in drafts) and I stand by my pre draft call that we should’ve gone Phillipou or Ginbey, but I think we’ll still be pleased at the end of his career.

We just need to have quality around him so he’s our 3rd or 4th string mid. Bailey smith is a start… need another couple.

Give him time
If you still think we should have taken Ginbey then I'd suggest you go and have a chat to a West Coast fan about your feelings on that matter.

Most of them can't stand him, and think he's a spud who at best will end up a role playing half back flanker.

Phillipou has at least had a couple of games at a level that Clark hasn't sniffed yet, so there's some reason there and can understand your premise.

If you still think we should have taken Ginbey then I'd suggest you go and have a chat to a West Coast fan about your feelings on that matter.

Most of them can't stand him, and think he's a spud who at best will end up a role playing half back flanker.

Phillipou has at least had a couple of games at a level that Clark hasn't sniffed yet, so there's some reason there and can understand your premise.

Nobody in that 2022 draft is looking particularly crazy after the top 4 selections.

Probably take a couple more years to get a good read on selections 5 onwards.

I think he's shown a knack for clean and quick hands, too the point when the receiving player doesn't expect it. His kicking has been mostly scrappy but he has bitten off enough good ones here and there to think that as he builds consistency that'll get better. He's a terrier not a gazelle though and that won't change.

I temper my expectations for his output early in his career because I see him as some version of Zak Butters. Zaks output was somewhat higher early but his minutes were also much higher. Zak is an elite player now, at a level Clark may never reach, but it took Butters until last year to have a breakout season and he was 23 with 69 games under his belt going into the season.

If his floor Is Tom Atkins and his ceiling is Zak Butters I'm more than happy with either outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Senior 13. Jhye Clark (2022 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back