Senior 13. Jhye Clark (2022 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

It's interesting seeing Atkins be used as a put down. I think he's wildly underrated around here.

I do think Clark's ceiling is higher than Atkins though. He has similarities with the defensive hardness and tackling. And Atkins is a very neat kick on both feet without being super penetrating which is what Clark looks like too (he's made some poor decisions but generally strikes them well on either foot and the decision making will improve).

But Clark is much more creative by hand and looks a more natural attacking mid. That's masked at AFL level by the role we're using him in which is very defensive but he's shown moments of really good attacking positioning. He's also excellent in the air for his size (which admittedly is a big caveat).

Realistically if he can become Atkins but with a bit more ball winning ability, significantly more creativity by hand and a bit more attacking understanding then he'll be a very good player. That's basically what Guthrie was when he was winning B&Fs for us.

The gun attacking mids get all the attention but I'll take the gun 2-way mid whose numbers don't look as good because they're defensively accountable every time. Hopefully that's what he becomes.

Nothing of CG in the cut hair. Just shows how ordinary he has become in last couple of seasons….
The whole point was to remind us how good he WAS.
The last 2 years are sadly, a write-off

Ordinary??? He hasn't been on the park mate.
I seem to have memories of him playing and not doing much post dreds ??
Pretty sure I remember people here (jokingly) saying he needed to grow back his hair as he had become a ghost of his former self. Time runs, so I am not sure when that was .
Maybe because a lot of us here are so literal I should change ‘couple’ to ‘several’. My point was that,apart from a few cameos, he was not really giving us any highlights when he was playing in his latter incarnation pre injury.
(And before we start- Not really insinuating his haircut had anything to do with it either, just giving us a loose time reference)

I seem to have memories of him playing and not doing much post dreds ??
Pretty sure I remember people here (jokingly) saying he needed to grow back his hair as he had become a ghost of his former self. Time runs, so I am not sure when that was .
Maybe because a lot of us here are so literal I should change ‘couple’ to ‘several’. My point was that,apart from a few cameos, he was not really giving us any highlights when he was playing in his latter incarnation pre injury.
(And before we start- Not really insinuating his haircut had anything to do with it either, just giving us a loose time reference)
The only time in the entire history of him having short hair that he hasn't been carrying injury was the first few seconds of the preseason this year where he won a brilliant clearance and tore his quad on the kick

The only time in the entire history of him having short hair that he hasn't been carrying injury was the first few seconds of the preseason this year where he won a brilliant clearance and tore his quad on the kick
Ok, I bow to your superior recollections, but pretty sure I remember people making light hearted quips associating cutting his hair and a drop in performance.
Anyway, let’s be clear all frippery aside, a fit and firing vintage powered Guthrie C would be welcome even if he was rocking a GAJ!

Ok, I bow to your superior recollections, but pretty sure I remember people making light hearted quips associating cutting his hair and a drop in performance.
Anyway, let’s be clear all frippery aside, a fit and firing vintage powered Guthrie C would be welcome even if he was rocking a GAJ!
Yeah, that was start of 2023 and he did that toe injury preseason, went to the balllet trainer and tried to play through it for 6 rounds. Hasn't been right since Sep 2022 and may never be again

Yeah, that was start of 2023 and he did that toe injury preseason, went to the balllet trainer and tried to play through it for 6 rounds. Hasn't been right since Sep 2022 and may never be again
He was very ready to go start of 24; had a brilliant preseason, jumping out of his skin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hoping JC does get a highlight reel like this.

Hopefully. But it's also important to remember Guthrie was at a pretty similar spot 2 years in.

He played 2 games in his first year. Then he played most of the H&A season in 2012 (18 games) but was left out for finals so looking similar to Clark. Guthrie really broke out in the 2013 finals series at the end of his 3rd year.

He also was playing as a half forward or wing then settled as a half back so didn't have the physical challenge of trying to match it with gun inside mids like Clark is trying to do. Overall I think Clark is going fine he's just not one of the rare breed of mids that dominates from day 1.

Hopefully. But it's also important to remember Guthrie was at a pretty similar spot 2 years in.

He played 2 games in his first year. Then he played most of the H&A season in 2012 (18 games) but was left out for finals so looking similar to Clark. Guthrie really broke out in the 2013 finals series at the end of his 3rd year.

He also was playing as a half forward or wing then settled as a half back so didn't have the physical challenge of trying to match it with gun inside mids like Clark is trying to do. Overall I think Clark is going fine he's just not one of the rare breed of mids that dominates from day 1.
Exactly

Remove this Banner Ad

Senior 13. Jhye Clark (2022 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back