Traded 13. Lachlan Fogarty (2018 -2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think any source is the be all and end all, I just mentioned it out of interest. If you have a problem with that, tough.

No problem at all.. boy its easy to unintentionally inflame some times.. Its relevant there needs to be some method of gauging performance and cd is one...and there is a relationship between cd at lower levels and higher levels... Id also say many mid type struggle at the next level for lack of game time and I suspect their cd data would be affected.

Boy o boy does he have some work to do on his kicking.
Of all our picks this is the one I'm most doubtful on.

I wonder if he's left handed at everything in life with the exception of footy.

Boy o boy does he have some work to do on his kicking.
Of all our picks this is the one I'm most doubtful on.

I wonder if he's left handed at everything in life with the exception of footy.

His kicking over a short distance looks good in his clips its really only over 50m that he's going to have to keep working on it.

But his forward pressure numbers are top end by afl standards and we desperately need that. Seems like he has a great attitude too.

Just had another look. I can't put my finger on it. It's like he fumbles the ball when getting ready to dispose of it.
Sort of like rather than move the left hand across to support the ball his right hand takes the ball over to the left hand, and then back again when he kicks.

Really wierd.

I have heard this Champion Data stuff a bit ..id have to look at all the players that were rated low on champ data that have been successful ... and try to workout how transferable the stats from u18 are. If Champion data is the be all and end all... then Higgins should be a star.

It’s fairly reliable imo. A far cry from moneyball accuracy but it’s a good way to cut through the pre-draft hype.

Just had another look. I can't put my finger on it. It's like he fumbles the ball when getting ready to dispose of it.
Sort of like rather than move the left hand across to support the ball his right hand takes the ball over to the left hand, and then back again when he kicks.

Really wierd.

I don’t know what you’re watching.

Really wierd.

I looking at this vid and one really can see what we like about him ... the contested balls is like a dog with a ball that he just doesn't want to stop going at it. ...

but at times .. he looks like he doesn't transfer his weight thru the ball when he kicks the ball ..its neat enough most of the time . Lets face plenty of pretty kicks never get the ball.. this kid will crawl over cut glass to get the ball or get the guy with the ball..

Last edited:
His kicking over a short distance looks good in his clips its really only over 50m that he's going to have to keep working on it.

But his forward pressure numbers are top end by afl standards and we desperately need that. Seems like he has a great attitude too.

I think he mostly plays inside any way , and he plays within himself and keeps it neat. The test when he lines up for some setshots

I looking at this vid and one really can see what we like about him ... the contested balls is like a dog with a ball that he just doesn't want to stop going at it. ...

but at times .. he looks like he doesn't transfer his weight thru the ball when he kicks the ball ..its neat enough most of the time . Lets face plenty of pretty kicks never get the ball.. this kid will crawl of cut glass to get the ball or get the guy with the ball..

He has really impressive traits that are hard to teach: doesn’t lose his feet, runs hard both ways, wins the ball on the inside and outside, good goal sense, strong in the contest, etc. This is a great pick up. Not to mention he came 2nd in Western’s B&F from just seven games (featuring in the best players in each game he played).

When I heard we got Fogarty I was straight on the phone to someone on the coaching panel at WJ and this is his response
“He’s a gun mate.... never seen a kid chase, harass and tackle like him. He plays like Kieran Jack
They got him for a steal in my opinion“
A few blokes from keilor know of him and said basically the same thing. Jet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but at times .. he looks like he doesn't transfer his weight thru the ball when he kicks the ball ..its neat enough most of the time . Lets face plenty of pretty kicks never get the ball.. this kid will crawl over cut glass to get the ball or get the guy with the ball..

Dare I say it, he reminds me of Toby Greene.

Haven't we needed a defensive small fwd.? Good choice, welcome & all the best Lachie.

Too many judgements and admonishments are made this time of year off 3 minutes of vid... we will see. Its easy to fall in love with a player and be disappointed when he is not drafted , I have tried to avoid that , especially this year. He seem close to what I was wanting but perhaps a little less polished than what I hoped for.On his kicking..I'll put it this way , I don't think he has been picked for his kicking ... to me his kick looks just good average kick. ... and say the same about Selwoods when he was drafted as well. He seems nippy enough so thats a tick for me and someone who tackle as much as him must handle contact well.

There is a lot of happiness about our picks based on the predraft rating... but where they were picked is the real peg in the ground. There were two or three players picked from nowhere in the top 20 , and two or three huge sliders. If we are happy and smiling ..Haw must be in fits of laughter.

Agree with all your points, but really that is all we have to go on at this point until next years season begins; video highlights writings by posters and opinion pierced by coaches and experts are all we have atm.

Where You personally hoping we drafted someone else? A different style of player or a particular name?

Agree with all your points, but really that is all we have to go on at this point until next years season begins; video highlights writings by posters and opinion pierced by coaches and experts are all we have atm.

Where You personally hoping we drafted someone else? A different style of player or a particular name?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion..I just wish they were a little less dismissive or enamoured till we have seen them and have a bit more data. I wanted small and quick for the first couple so I cant overly whinge. Its the sign of times that a player like this goes in the 20's to me he is a bit later usually.I probably would have preferred someone with a bit more class by foot but Fog shuts down airports and if our Fog can blanket a few opposition players , Ill be happy..

Everyone is entitled to their opinion..I just wish they were a little less dismissive or enamoured till we have seen them and have a bit more data. I wanted small and quick for the first couple so I cant overly whinge. Its the sign of times that a player like this goes in the 20's to me he is a bit later usually.I probably would have preferred someone with a bit more class by foot but Fog shuts down airports and if our Fog can blanket a few opposition players , Ill be happy..

Reports of him seem to never mention his foot skills as any sort of negative at all, which is good. If by foot skills you mean a Matt suckling josh hunt style boot that could hit a penny from 60m out then he wouldn’t be the guy at all, but his foot skills seem decent from the limited highlights.

After the draft had finished I went and had a chat to all the draftees, with Lachie in shock really about being picked up by Geelong. He said how happy he was and seemed really excited to play with Gaz especially
On another note, a certain player who attended the draft saw me in the hoops and said to me how he was disappointed we didn't pick him up, anyone want to know who it was?

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded 13. Lachlan Fogarty (2018 -2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back