Delisted 13. Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, just needs to clean up his kicking a little bit. Nothing drastic but it can be a little bit sloppy every now and again

For sure, but he def can kick so just needs that composure that comes with experience.

I hope he plays the rest of the year.

So what has changed since? You've actually seen the kid play now?
I watched him a lot in his draft year. He had great explosion but felt he lacked composure and didn’t work hard both ways. To me he seems calmer ball in hand. Now he’s not a surgeon ball in hand but he’s capable. So that’s where he’s improved in my eyes. As I said I don’t see anything that turns the fortunes of a club like Walshy or Harry can but he could be a good role player. Looking back at draft night still feels like a reach and like I said prior, no where near the 6th best player in that draft. Disagree?

I watched him a lot in his draft year. He had great explosion but felt he lacked composure and didn’t work hard both ways. To me he seems calmer ball in hand. Now he’s not a surgeon ball in hand but he’s capable. So that’s where he’s improved in my eyes. As I said I don’t see anything that turns the fortunes of a club like Walshy or Harry can but he could be a good role player. Looking back at draft night still feels like a reach and like I said prior, no where near the 6th best player in that draft. Disagree?

So he is a reach because you don't think he's a top 6 player in that draft?

Sorry, but that's just a bizarre take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why don’t you give me your opinion on him then? Do you think he’s a top 6 player from that draft as SOS did?

I think he's a good young footballer with plenty of scope for improvement.

Whether he is top 6 or not is completely irrelevant:

1) He was taken at pick 19
2) How do you know SOS was alone in valuing Stocker that high? It's possible that every club had him rated in the top 10.
3) Variance in draft rankings would be far more common than you think. It would literally happen countless times each and every year. It's bizarre that you're so hung up on it to be honest, and shows a bit of naivety on your part.

I think he's a good young footballer with plenty of scope for improvement.

Whether he is top 6 or not is completely irrelevant:

1) He was taken at pick 19
2) How do you know SOS was alone in valuing Stocker that high? It's possible that every club had him rated in the top 10.
3) Variance in draft rankings would be far more common than you think. It would literally happen countless times each and every year. It's bizarre that you're so hung up on it to be honest, and shows a bit of naivety on your part.

It matters because it clearly shows our talent identification in one of the best drafts of the modern era is clearly flawed. The top 8 have shown to be amazing talents. A few in the teens also tracking well. The fact that we traded up to get him just baffled me. No doubt there is variations in people draft order, always will be but that top 8 has clearly shown to be ahead of the rest yet we saw this kid in that class.... our drafting has long been an issue and this pick in particular proves our identification methods are not as good as other sides. Like I said before, I think he’s now best 22 and going ok but for what we paid in that draft it’s been disappointing, for you to say any different shows you have blue coloured glasses on and can’t be objective.

It matters because it clearly shows our talent identification in one of the best drafts of the modern era is clearly flawed. The top 8 have shown to be amazing talents. A few in the teens also tracking well. The fact that we traded up to get him just baffled me. No doubt there is variations in people draft order, always will be but that top 8 has clearly shown to be ahead of the rest yet we saw this kid in that class.... our drafting has long been an issue and this pick in particular proves our identification methods are not as good as other sides. Like I said before, I think he’s now best 22 and going ok but for what we paid in that draft it’s been disappointing, for you to say any different shows you have blue coloured glasses on and can’t be objective.
Early day but one of Ash, Young, Stephens or Serong v Stocker+Kemp +Philp

I think the deal was ok

Once again, no recognition that the kid was taken at pick 19, not pick 6. No acknowledgement of the possibility that every club could have rated him top 10.

Do you know where any other club rated him? Just one will do.

As for objectivity, that's a bit rich given you labelled the kid a bust 9 months ago. Staggering actually.

Who cares??

He dons our jumper now, all we can do is hope for the very best for him regardless of where he was taken. Footy players aren't Pokemon cards or some static commodity. Plus who knows down the track, he might well justify his draft position, but if not oh well. Win some, lose some.

Would love to know exactly why he is on the outer with his teammates.
First no players engaging in the Instagram post when he left the hub, except Jones.
This weekend stinks when only a handful of players engaged with him after his goal.

Would love to know exactly why he is on the outer with his teammates.
First no players engaging in the Instagram post when he left the hub, except Jones.
This weekend stinks when only a handful of players engaged with him after his goal.

Did you expect an epic after the siren style pile on of the entire playing group? As for the hub situation, I am sure the entire list engaged with him throughout that period through text messages and phone calls all season.

The playing group is all good with Liam Stocker. They don’t hate him.

Closer to a bust than a star. Far far far from pick 6, where SOS rated him
I feel like i'm feeding the troll here, but i remember the comment from SOS about having him at 6. At the time i made the assumption that he was 6 on the blues board, who were probably not in the market for a key forward... probably focused on a mid... so carlton's top 6 (by needs not best available) (do we have on record that SOS was intending to draft best available?)

Walsh
johny daylight
Rankine
Rozee
Smith
Caldwell
Stocker

this is less fanciful eh!? This was a SOS who knew he had a Curnow and a Mckay on the list warming a spot as key forwards...

I like Stockers strength, kicking, hardness and pretty boy looks... he needs a new set of Mag's but power players like Dustin Martin take a few years to develop a tank large enough to perform at AFL, so fingers crossed he becomes a Gun

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted 13. Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back