Player Watch #14: Bachar Houli - Retiring at the end of 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Could have won 2 Norms, came second twice to Dusty
Just as impressive was in last year's Granny when soldiered on with a severe calf injury.

A real Richmond man with his performance and leadership on the field and his magnificent work with his foundation and with charities.
All the best Bachar with your retirement.

Read that he had retired, and wanted to acknowledge the on and off field contribution he made to the game. Champion player, and from what I can tell without ever meeting him, even better bloke.
I think he, and Eddie Betts are the two blokes that no matter what club you support people can’t help but love and respect them
Definitely going to miss having these two important cultural icons and stars of the game in their own right not running around next season

What a champion player and champion man! A little strange that only last week he definitely wanted to go around so I certainly wouldn't begrudge him if he took a contract at another club
Don’t think he will play anywhere else
His foundation is based out of Richmond and Punt Road with part of the new redevelopment of punt road having permanent areas for it

This one hits you right where it hurts.

I recommend going to the MCG sports museum and watching his presentation. Humble, gracious, clean (aka not a dirty player). Universally loved and respected. His work with the muslim community is something that must be celebrated. I one day parked at punt rd oval and walked to the G, saw many muslim women walking into PRO for something i dont know what, but it doesnt matter. He paved the way for a RFC-women of islamic faith relationship. What a man.

Inspiring.

This guy needs some love around here. Constantly lumped in with fringe players like Newman/Grigg/Petterd/Thomas etc just because he is a recycled player. Comments saying we need to replace him to go anywhere are way off the mark for mine. He's by far our best rebounding defender, we'd really struggle to get it out of their without him. He's a good kick, and despite some people preaching he is soft goes whenever it's his turn to. He's rated as one of the elite half-back flankers in the comp by Champion Data. We'd be going pretty well if we were able to replace him and we are nowhere near that stage, we are still looking for someone to partner him! Add onto that what a great person and leader he continues to show us he is he's a lock in our best 22 and rightfully so, probably in our top 10 or so players.

What an OP!

We needed someone with kicking skills desperately in defence. He fit the bill

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Martin won the footy, willed his way through it, little kick forward, Houli to kick a goal, he does!! Big that was”

This is exactly what I was talking about. Best moment of the game for us clicking into gear. The animal in me came out during this moment. Still have a voice loss from that!! That roar was incredible. We HAVE TO GET UP THERE AGAIN!

This one hits me just as hard as Richo's did. Easily my favourite tiger. Had the pleasure of meeting him several times through board sponsorship events and was always gracious with his time. Always polite, respectful and always remembered me. Would always ask about how my work and life was going. Absolute champion player and an even better person. The contributions he has made to the club, the AFL and to multiculturalism in Australia is phenomenal.

Enjoy the fishing, Bach! You've earned it!

This one hits me just as hard as Richo's did. Easily my favourite tiger. Had the pleasure of meeting him several times through board sponsorship events and was always gracious with his time. Always polite, respectful and always remembered me. Would always ask about how my work and life was going. Absolute champion player and an even better person. The contributions he has made to the club, the AFL and to multiculturalism in Australia is phenomenal.

Enjoy the fishing, Bach! You've earned it!
Here Here.

I had the pleasure of speaking to him on player nights and he was more interested in me as person and what I achevied in my life that I could barely get any questions in myself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back