Player Watch #14: Bachar Houli - Retiring at the end of 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

OMG another one is gone, I wasn't ready for this. Houli huge huge love, shoulda won the normy in '17 (don't fight me, what half back flanker chooses that game to kick 1.2) and runner up in '19, but they are the least of his accomplishments. Champion bloke, never shyed away from talking about the hard things, embraced life as a role model to everyone. Thank you it's not gonna be the same without you.

Will always remember Bachar as the guy who loved this game so so much he was willing to sneak around against his parent's wishes just to play it.

Thanks for everything Bachar
wHTvkgw.gif

OMG another one is gone, I wasn't ready for this. Houli huge huge love, shoulda won the normy in '17 (don't fight me, what half back flanker chooses that game to kick 1.2) and runner up in '19, but they are the least of his accomplishments. Champion bloke, never shyed away from talking about the hard things, embraced life as a role model to everyone. Thank you it's not gonna be the same without you.

Will always remember Bachar as the guy who loved this game so so much he was willing to sneak around against his parent's wishes just to play it.
Reckon if that was 2.1 he'd have had it, they were 2 easy misses as well.

Not gunna listen to Bachar's speech just now as I am still in tears from Dave's. Don't think my heart can take it.

What a champion Richmond man. Humble and such a nice guy. We are really going to miss him in the team.

Go well in retirement Bachar - we will miss you. Wishing you all the best for your future. I hope Bachar is still around the club in some capacity, as blokes like him are priceless!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he, and Eddie Betts are the two blokes that no matter what club you support people can’t help but love and respect them
Definitely going to miss having these two important cultural icons and stars of the game in their own right not running around next season
Totally agree. If you love footy, you can't help barracking for them when your team's not playing.

Bachar's speech is a beauty !

Funny. Humble. Genuine. Caring.

It's also obvious he thought he had more to give...

Gently tapped on the shoulder and accepting that his time has come. A great man. A great Richmond man.

Respect.

I would have loved to see Bachar kept as a teacher to the kids and perhaps fill in when injures called for someone with his experience. Hope he wasn't pushed out really.

Having known in advance this is one of the 3 retirements watching him speak still hit me hard.
All the best mate and may your alahh be with you and your family always.
Allahu Akbar

One of 3 retirements? Ummmm, who is the third? Asking so I can steel myself in readiness of more sadness.

We have Sponsored him as part of our player sponsorship since he came to the club, will retire having managed to duck us at every single player sponsor dinner :p

Should go down as one of our great trades of all time and a fantastic bloke from all accounts.

Hope he stays involved in the club in some capacity even at a community outreach level.

Bachar is one of my favourites - of all time.

Humble, awesome guy who has been not just a great player, but a leader and has actually shifted Australia. There are very few people who can claim to have made an impact on the world as large as Bachar. A legend of the RFC.

A huge part of our success. Thanks. Injury- plagued last year or so. Still played well when he did get on the ground. But I'm glad we've been able to see what a backline looks like without him. SS, Rioli & Mansell etc.
I hope to see lots more kids of Muslim background playing our great game.

Whenever I think of Bachar Houli as player, I just think Mr Reliable, he's been so consistent for over a decade, great player, great teammate. A congratulations to him on his fantastic career.

Outstanding footballer, his run and carry was elite, a 70m possession guy that we've sorely missed this year.
Off the field a universally admired leader who does more than anyone to educate and nurture all of us that will only bring us all closer together. Legend.

p.s. once again re Hardwick. Listen to what Bachar says or Caro, Cornes etc?
I think it's taken the speeches of Dave and Bachar to straighten up a few, both Tiger supporters and others.
I can feel the warmth coming back.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back