Delisted #14: Jason Ashby - Delisted 16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashby does come from the side more than he backs into packs, but that's generally due to positioning rather than whether or not he's tough. When he is in the position to back into packs I can't recall ever seeing him shirk it. Also I've seen him do it several times in the VFL where we don't have the available vision to show.

The other thing is, he always attacks the ball or man with intent, and you can't ask for more than that in regards to "toughness".
He has some guts but he can't kick. He needs to come on quickly or he may go the same way as your boy Gregory I reckon.

Ashby dislocated his patella during the VFL Practice Match against the Cats. He has returned to light running.
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2016-03-22/injury-list-update-march-22

ETA: Freaked me out for a sec when I actually looked at the URL. Turns out they updated an old article with new information (Article title dated 29/3).... which basically means it didn't come up on the website home page when it should have...... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
He has a lot of the Hardinghams about him (without the leap, but with better awareness), needs to improve his kicking pretty quickly or might be moved to a rookie slot I think.

His problem is still the same. His kicking of half back is suspect and can make poor decisions. He can play, is a great mark but simply
has to improve the decision making side of things. You do not need blokes who turn the ball over coming off half back.
Would be interested to see how he would go as a forward given his marking ability.

With Baguley's injury he MUST take his chances and entrench himself in the 22 from here to the end of the season. Otherwise I can't see him being here next season.

With Baguley's injury he MUST take his chances and entrench himself in the 22 from here to the end of the season. Otherwise I can't see him being here next season.
Yes, his luck might have turned compared to the atrocious timing of his early season injury, which was diabolical.

Needs to impress and fast, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unbelievable for thinking he might play another game when we're this depleted?

Hardly. I think it's more unbelievable that fellow supporters are derided for not ruling a line through him at this point.

I don't know if he'll make it, but given the circumstances this year and now Baguley's absence, it's not at all far fetched that he might get a game.

Ashby should have been in the team weeks ago - Ashby is well and truly AFL standard, outside of his kicking.

I'm not convinced, I saw him a couple of weeks ago in the VFL. He lacked composure and is probably a little too soft at the contest. This coupled with his disposal raise big questions on his AFL status for me.

Should play a lot the second half of the year. Why not? (I don't think he will be at the club next season Dea has gone way past has)

I'm not convinced, I saw him a couple of weeks ago in the VFL. He lacked composure and is probably a little too soft at the contest. This coupled with his disposal raise big questions on his AFL status for me.

Ashby is not soft - Kicking is an issue but you can survive if other aspects of your game are very good -Can say I've never seen cut up by his direct opponent in an AFL game.

Ashby is not soft - Kicking is an issue but you can survive if other aspects of your game are very good -Can say I've never seen cut up by his direct opponent in an AFL game.

Ashby should look to Hooker as someone who had questionable disposal but then started playing to his strengths and you rarely see him kick a long ball now unless a get out of jail bomb. It's always a short kick or a handball. The question then becomes whether Ashby has that decision ability making in him or not.

I agree on the defensive aspect of his game, he is very sound purely on that aspect of his game.

I see elements of Dean Laidley in his game in terms of his defence and toughness, though he doesn't have the attacking dash Laidley had, nor does he have Carey and Longmire to make an ordinary kick appear to be a good one.

Ashby should look to Hooker as someone who had questionable disposal but then started playing to his strengths and you rarely see him kick a long ball now unless a get out of jail bomb. It's always a short kick or a handball. The question then becomes whether Ashby has that decision ability making in him or not.

I agree on the defensive aspect of his game, he is very sound purely on that aspect of his game.

I see elements of Dean Laidley in his game in terms of his defence and toughness, though he doesn't have the attacking dash Laidley had, nor does he have Carey and Longmire to make an ordinary kick appear to be a good one.

Quality post..

I'm far from his biggest fan, but I'd never call him soft. His competitiveness and willingness to throw around what little weight he has are arguably his best traits.

If I'm being honest, it's a real shame Morgan's legs haven't been able to hold up for long enough this year to be in contention for one of Walla or Baguley this week. But nonetheless, it seems like we're going to get a look at Ashby again and we'll be able to see if he's improved enough to stick around next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #14: Jason Ashby - Delisted 16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back