Delisted #14: Jason Ashby - Delisted 16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Ashby and Gleeson play in the same side?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Yes.
Both are serviceable backmen but harsh reality is both have a poor skill level

Ashby yeah, but Gleeson is a pretty good kick usually. In fact if you put Gleeson's skills into Ashby he'd be the perfect back pocket.

Both are serviceable backmen but harsh reality is both have a poor skill level

They can both play in the VFL side together all of next year! ;)

Based on their current form, neither would be in best 22 in 2017. I think Gleeson has the most upside, if he can improve his disposal, and probably why he is getting more opportunity at AFL level than Ashby.

Ashby should have been in the team weeks ago - Ashby is well and truly AFL standard, outside of his kicking.
AFL standard as you say yet he is below average at the most fundamental skill of the sport - so many goals are scored from turn-overs now, last thing we need is another player with terrible foot skills in the team turning the ball over at HB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boyd isn't exactly renowned for them
Boyd's improved out of sight after moving from the midfield to a back flank. He just consistently hits targets.

Midfielders and forwards are being moved to defence because of their footskills. Being able to consistently hit targets coming out of defence is now regarded as more important than defending itself.

Name one good HBF with poor kicking skills.

IMO around 50% of AFL players have only average kicking skills - Ashby needs to push harder to get into that 50% - Of course he could handball more as part of his game - As a point of comparison, I rate Gleeson's kicking only a little bit higher than Ashby.

Boyd's improved out of sight after moving from the midfield to a back flank. He just consistently hits targets.

Midfielders and forwards are being moved to defence because of their footskills. Being able to consistently hit targets coming out of defence is now regarded as more important than defending itself.

Boyd's footskills have improved immeasurably since moving to defence - Boyd's kicking skills were putrid as a midfielder, but he still made AA - Moral is if the other parts of your game are strong you can still make it without being a good kick.

IMO around 50% of AFL players have only average kicking skills - Ashby needs to push harder to get into that 50% - Of course he could handball more as part of his game - As a point of comparison, I rate Gleeson's kicking only a little bit higher than Ashby.
Agree with this. I actually think they have very similar kicks. Gleeson just generally shows more dash out of defence (although hasn't done that as well this season) and has showed more composure than Ashby in the past (again not so much this season). Surely Ashby gets a run sooner rather than later. Tbh I don't really care which one of them is better or who makes it as long as one of them improves and can become a solid best 22 player.

And what % of HBF's have average disposal? I'd suggest many more fit into the above average/elite category. Gleeson is also a below average kick too, which is why I doubt over him long term.
Boyd's footskills have improved immeasurably since moving to defence - Boyd's kicking skills were putrid as a midfielder, but he still made AA - Moral is if the other parts of your game are strong you can still make it without being a good kick.
You basically repeated what I just said.

Moral is that you can't make it as a small defender if your skills and decision making are poor.

And what % of HBF's have average disposal? I'd suggest many more fit into the above average/elite category. Gleeson is also a below average kick too, which is why I doubt over him long term.

You basically repeated what I just said.

Moral is that you can't make it as a small defender if your skills and decision making are poor.

Would you ever consider Boyd as a half back with his previously exposed kicking skills as a midfielder ? - Boyd's kicking prowess since moving to defence has been surprising.

My eyes tell me that more half backs are above average kicks than in other parts of the ground - Though many move to half back during their careers to cover deficiencies in their team-mates.

Ashby's kicking needs to improve or the team must set up to allow him to handball

Hasn't he spent a bit of time forward previous seasons in the vfl? Could be given some time there in the ones to have more of a look at him I woulda thought
No.

Soft is not a word I'd use for Ashby previous to this year, but in the 3 VFL games I've watched this year, he has been nothing but that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted #14: Jason Ashby - Delisted 16/9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back