Retired 14. Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Far from it, my stethoscope-loving brother. Jones was going to be 31 heading into next season, plans were underway regarding his replacement, just means we need to fast-track things bit.
He was huge for 2022 finals chance though. We have no depth for that position. Has really ****ed us.

So from here on its OM as new full back while developing Lewis Young and hoping like hell he can become a gun

Bloody sad outcome for all concerned but Liam has made a decision and it looks like will walk away from footy as a result of it

Thanks Liam and all the best for your future

Now who’s gonna take that list spot?

Rory Thompson ? Alex Rance anyone…..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Build from within. Put the responsibility and time into Young / McG.

He wasn’t going to be there for the next tilt. 32 in Feb and with the kamikaze approach to his game style, you always felt he was every chance to suffer a horrific injury with the way he played on the edge. Better to go out retiring and avoid the ongoing scrutiny. Hope he has something set up for life after football and keeps on the straight and narrow.

The Bombers made the finals this year with James Stewart as their full back.

We will be fine.

No one is irreplaceable (maybe Sammy). It’ll be tough but a combination of Young, McDonald and hopefully a mature age draft pick is enough to work with.

The real shame is Weitering probably becomes more lockdown and defence conscious. I was hoping he’d move towards the opposite in 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for all the memories Liam. You came back from adversity and turned yourself into a defensive weapon who repelled attacks and intercepted opposition kicks.

This world is all about different points of views and attitudes. I fully respect his decision and understand as a professional footballer it would have been a very difficult one. Footy is just a small part of life and he has made the right decision for him and I respect that.

All the best for the future.

Spewing about this, huge loss! Hun reporting 'cultural beliefs', part of me is curious what they are, the other part thinks it doesn't really matter because it isn't going to change anything.

Hope this can turn into a bit of 1 door closing and another 1 opening but I just can't see who we have who is a likely replacement

Sorry for intruding..but it is today’s big story.
Think you are overreacting a little. 31 years old next year. Marchbank, McGovern should both will be fit next year. Added Young. Have Weitering.
TBF, 31 is still in the prime of his career, could have played for 6 more years at Geelong at this rate.

Sad news but it is the world we are currently living in and he isn't the first nor will be the last.

Now what happens regarding his contract and filling his spot on the list?

Shocked to read this news. Thanks Jonesy for all of your efforts in the Navy Blue. Turned himself into a good defender out of nowhere. Extremely courageous and always gave 100%. It really is a shame we won’t be able to see him and Weitering in a competent defensive structure. I respect his choice but so disappointing to lose him. Assuming he left $500k on the table to play this year is a big call and helps our cap.

Trust us to be the only team losing an important player to this Covid mess. I really hope the AFL grant us some form of compensation considering they throw compensatory picks around to everyone else. If a lazy, perennially injured Daniher can get * pick 7 then we deserve something in the top 25 for Jones. It’s not the club’s fault the government and AFL imposed these regulations, other professional sports around the world don’t mandate vaccinations.

In terms of replacements, we now really need Marchbank to catch a break or McGovern/OMac to swing back. Young is a good understudy but too raw for immediate impact IMO.

Any decent delisted full backs? Marty Hore?

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired 14. Liam Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Back