Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching him closely on the weekend he just ran up and down all day with no impact (a handball in a chain for a goal and one decent-ish mark aside). For long balls out of defence he would arrive at the feet of the pack (well not actually that close as he didn't want to get hurt) before the pack itself arrived. Never once put his body on the line when he had ample time. He clearly has zero confidence to get involved but laughably would look frustrated/admonish teammates who didn't kick it to him when he was calling for a switch 60m away - which was strange as he knew it was never coming anyway. He largely wandered around alone which would be fine for a winger when his team isn't 10 goals down. Sadly, he's just a nothing player.

The more you see of these decisions, you have to wonder if Clarko has lost the plot?

We are paying him a bomb to make decisions like this that are having the team regress.

We’ve all been played here.

I back Clarko in as the best guy to get us out of this hole.

But this one really boggles the mind. 7 rounds in, 1/3 of the season, and this guy has shown nothing NOTHING.

All whilst getting priority as starting winger over Scott who was breaking out in 2023.

I can’t understand this one no matter the mental gymnastics involved

Last edited:

The attempted tackle in the 3rd quarter? (I refuse to watch the replay for accuracy) that resembled two pieces of soggy Pasta (his arms) trying to take down a player with the ball was the weakest effort I've seen in the past decade of footy, and that's saying something with the poo efforts that 90% of our team roll out on a weekly basis.

The attempted tackle in the 3rd quarter? (I refuse to watch the replay for accuracy) that resembled two pieces of soggy Pasta (his arms) trying to take down a player with the ball was the weakest effort I've seen in the past decade of footy, and that's saying something with the poo efforts that 90% of our team roll out on a weekly basis.
13.34 in the 3rd i wrote it down it was that poor. Execrable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10 tackles in a game in the VFL before he is allowed to come back to the senior side.
They are very lofty goals. Perhaps 10 in a month, and with more pressure than the Turn Stile you enter the grounds as a start. He should come good by 2027 in his final year. Hard to believe Horse gave him 40 games at the Swans over 4 years.

They are very lofty goals. Perhaps 10 in a month, and with more pressure than the Turn Stile you enter the grounds as a start. He should come good by 2027 in his final year. Hard to believe Horse gave him 40 games at the Swans over 4 years.

He wasn't anywhere near as soft at the Swans.

He wasn't anywhere near as soft at the Swans.
Oh God, yes he was. Got a bit better over time, tackling technique somewhat improved, but the spaghetti arms would come out pretty regularly. Had very little appetite for the contest though - favourite thing was to clock up those meaningless kms up & down the SCG wing.

Oh God, yes he was. Got a bit better over time, tackling technique somewhat improved, but the spaghetti arms would come out pretty regularly. Had very little appetite for the contest though - favourite thing was to clock up those meaningless kms up & down the SCG wing.
I know he wasn't the hardest, but I watched plenty of Sydney games where he'd at least put his head over the ball. He has pretty much refused to do that in any capacity in North colours.

I know he wasn't the hardest, but I watched plenty of Sydney games where he'd at least put his head over the ball. He has pretty much refused to do that in any capacity in North colours.

That's because Longmire and his team mates would have demanded that of him with no exceptions. Different standards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back