Player Watch #15 - Ed Langdon #PositiveLingers

Remove this Banner Ad

His disposal since the concussion has been so bad. Back to bombing it or shanking it. We're not helping him out either as a team. The shepherds to give him space have dried up, the short sharp leads giving him a short option have dried up. We're back to playing selfish football more in line with 2019 and 2020. I don't know why..

I think you're on to a key reason why he seems to have regressed. His role is integral to our team defence structure, but his ability to attack confidently also depends on that team defence. Chicken or egg? I don't know, but he's not getting the coverage or running support that he was previously, and that means more hurried possessions, which have seen his disposal efficiency tumble.

The system we play depends on all cogs working together. As you say the selfishness seems to be creeping back in, and that's when the team defensive pressure falls apart a bit.

Played a superb game, one of many who deserve some big kudos. His efforts particularly in backline were sensational
Good to see him bust his guts getting end to end for a goal in the last. He does it all game every week and a just reward in a GF.

He's a perfect example of why not everyone needs to be a ball winner like the Dogs mids.

Only 6 disposals to 3/4 time. Racked them up in the last yes, but at 3/4 time because of his ability to defend you didn't sit there thinking he's had a shocker like say Weightman, Hannan or McDonald (to that point). Wasn't his best game but he did his part to help the likes of Petracca, Oliver, Salem rack the ball up by covering for them on the defensive wing.

Best 2 way wing in the league.

He's a perfect example of why not everyone needs to be a ball winner like the Dogs mids.

Only 6 disposals to 3/4 time. Racked them up in the last yes, but at 3/4 time because of his ability to defend you didn't sit there thinking he's had a shocker like say Weightman, Hannan or McDonald (to that point). Wasn't his best game but he did his part to help the likes of Petracca, Oliver, Salem rack the ball up by covering for them on the defensive wing.

Best 2 way wing in the league.

Great spot. I've loved him all year because when you actually watch him he does an insane amount of work defensively to help out, and often turns up in the forward half to receive a ball from a chain that he started.

Lingers in a nutshell. Probably can find much better examples of his defensive running across the season, but still looking at where Lingers is at the top of the screen shows you a bit of his workrate.

30 seconds before this clip starts he's at half forward.

1632625885168.png

To get Langdon and Pick 26, we traded Pick 22 and a 2020 second-round selection (pick 38). There were also fourth round picks swapped but neither was used.

So, effectively Langdon for pick 38, plus a minor slide of our second round pick.

Sliding from 22 to 26 didn't matter at all either. In a series of trades we lost pick 26, but ended up pick 28 back (from Fremantle of all teams)... which we used to draft Rivers 😂

Hugely underrated player. Just does his job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To get Langdon and Pick 26, we traded Pick 22 and a 2020 second-round selection (pick 38). There were also fourth round picks swapped but neither was used.

So, effectively Langdon for pick 38, plus a minor slide of our second round pick.

Sliding from 22 to 26 didn't matter at all either. In a series of trades we lost pick 26, but ended up pick 28 back (from Fremantle of all teams)... which we used to draft Rivers 😂

Best value trade we've ever made?

Happy with this. No he isn't Brad Hill but is still a big upgrade on whatever the fu** we had on the wing previously.
Thank ****

Not gonna lie, I was absolutely filthy at the trade at the time. Was adamant he was worth 22 by itself.

Yey, I was right :rolleyes:

For a laid-back endurance machine, he's surprisingly good in 1v1s and barely loses a contest.

Everything about him is the opposite of flashy, but he's bloody effective. Even watching him run, he kind of scoots along and you don't realise how quick he is until he's on the end of every bloody chain and has somehow gone past everyone on his way to the ball.

Starting to consistently kick goals week in/week out. Almost in line for a wing AA spot if they ever pick actualy wingmen in their position.

For a laid-back endurance machine, he's surprisingly good in 1v1s and barely loses a contest.

Everything about him is the opposite of flashy, but he's bloody effective. Even watching him run, he kind of scoots along and you don't realise how quick he is until he's on the end of every bloody chain and has somehow gone past everyone on his way to the ball.

Starting to consistently kick goals week in/week out. Almost in line for a wing AA spot if they ever pick actualy wingmen in their position.
Wish they would. I doubt it though - there are so many inside mids that get a spot on the basis of average of 30 plus touches now that they seem to feel obliged to park them somewhere. Its only a matter of time before they fill the team with 22 Jack Macraes.

Even the AFLCA is getting very mid dominated - Gawn was probably the last non vast accumulator winner we will see. I am starting to think that the B&F by club rankings are probably the best gauge of a player value.

It’s funny to think blokes like this will never win any kind of individual accolade - it just doesn’t exist for wingers or even forward flankers anymore no matter how good you are. So unless you play in a successful team your career will just be a bit middling

Wish they would. I doubt it though - there are so many inside mids that get a spot on the basis of average of 30 plus touches now that they seem to feel obliged to park them somewhere. Its only a matter of time before they fill the team with 22 Jack Macraes.

Even the AFLCA is getting very mid dominated - Gawn was probably the last non vast accumulator winner we will see. I am starting to think that the B&F by club rankings are probably the best gauge of a player value.
Probably because despite what people think I don't think the coaches are necessarily the best judges of the game. They're so focused on the outcome and looking at patterns an set ups etc that I bet at the end of the game they scan the stats like any one else to justify votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back