Player Watch #15 Sam Wicks

Remove this Banner Ad

1719321473926.png

Sam Wicks

Sam Wicks is a small forward with tidy skills below his knees and an outstanding awareness around goal. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product was rookie-listed in November 2018 and was a consistent stand-out for the Sydney Swans’ NEAFL side in 2019. He became Sydney's fifth debutant of season 2020 when he was named to face Collingwood in Round 10, before finishing the season with seven appearances to his name. Wicks heads into 2021 fighting names like Tom Papley, Ben Ronke, Lewis Taylor and Sam Gray for a spot in Sydney’s best 22.

Sam Wicks
DOB: 14 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2018 Other
RECRUITED FROM: Manly-Warringah (NSW)/Sydney (NEAFL)

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s just hope the opponent makes a recovery. Just no need for it from
wicks, terrible look. Good opportunity for Hanily now
I wonder if Hanily would be a good sub candidate because he is an absolute burst of energy more so it feels like than that of Cleary. Obvious Cleary is better skills wise but Hanily might be better suited to the sub role

4 weeks is way over the top but given Parker's suspension I'm not surprised. 4 weeks with an early plea. Wonder if the club is considering challenging it. We'd need a better lawyer than the parker/heeney incidents. Ralphyboy how is Sam taking it right now?

I wonder if Hanily would be a good sub candidate because he is an absolute burst of energy more so it feels like than that of Cleary. Obvious Cleary is better skills wise but Hanily might be better suited to the sub role

Realistically it will be neither, not this year anyway unless there’s injuries. Will be Campbell or Fox

Seems like a very harsh outcome looking at the incident
You could fight it on the fact the Collingwood player has an arm free. You can fight it on the fact that the Collingwood player appears to fall after tangling legs with the Swans player on the ground. You can argue that Wicks actually turns to Collingwood player in the tackle. The sooner we get out of the VFL into a full AFL reserves competition the better.

wtf, i get if it was given a week but 4 is an absolute piss take. You can clearly see the impact of the tackle was complicated by the player lying down on the floor. If that's not considered 'unusual circumstance' then i dunno what is.

Everyone seems calm but i'm actually quite stressed over this. No doubt Wicks would be a consideration for selection in our best squad, a solid sub at the least or an experienced injury replacement at worst. Has to be challenged, and properly this time ffs.

Let’s just hope the opponent makes a recovery. Just no need for it from
wicks, terrible look. Good opportunity for Hanily now
I really don't think there was much in it. The way these sorts of incidents are talked about need to change. It wasn't an "ugly act" like the media reported or a terrible look. It was a clumsy tackle gone a bit wrong.

Worthy of a suspension in the name of protecting the head? Sure. But nothing more than a footy accident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wtf, i get if it was given a week but 4 is an absolute piss take. You can clearly see the impact of the tackle was complicated by the player lying down on the floor. If that's not considered 'unusual circumstance' then i dunno what is.

Everyone seems calm but i'm actually quite stressed over this. No doubt Wicks would be a consideration for selection in our best squad, a solid sub at the least or an experienced injury replacement at worst. Has to be challenged, and properly this time ffs.
I think you have a lot of learning to do about how the MRO rubric works and then how little impact Wicks has on a game of footy. Parker in 25 minutes of footy had the same scoreboard impact as Wicks did in 11 weeks.

Wicks isn't best 23 when all are fit as he is the 4th best small forward behind Papley Parker and Adams

I really don't think there was much in it. The way these sorts of incidents are talked about need to change. It wasn't an "ugly act" like the media reported or a terrible look. It was a clumsy tackle gone a bit wrong.

Worthy of a suspension in the name of protecting the head? Sure. But nothing more than a footy accident.

He’s whacked his head into the ground. Think of it this way imagine it being Tom McCartin being whacked into the ground. It was dumb and worth the weeks

He’s whacked his head into the ground. Think of it this way imagine it being Tom McCartin being whacked into the ground. It was dumb and worth the weeks
And can't really use the excuse of an arm being free because it was the right arm and he was being dumped on his left side. If he used his arm to brace his fall that arm would be broken in pieces

And can't really use the excuse of an arm being free because it was the right arm and he was being dumped on his left side. If he used his arm to brace his fall that arm would be broken in pieces

Unfortunately and Wicks does some good things but he has 1-2 really dumb things he does every season

Unfortunately and Wicks does some good things but he has 1-2 really dumb things he does every season
Not on the level of Ladhams and Preuss but can have the occasional brain fade like that tackle. Although he will serve the 4 weeks atleast it is showing to me that he is trying his guts out in the twos to be a pressure merchant again

Not on the level of Ladhams and Preuss but can have the occasional brain fade like that tackle. Although he will serve the 4 weeks atleast it is showing to me that he is trying his guts out in the twos to be a pressure merchant again

Yep 100% it was stupid and my thoughts aren’t with Wicks they are with the bloke he concussed. That said I’m happy to wear a suspension or two if it means some defensive pressure

So this is what happened
Johnson was concussed when he clashed heads with Mitchell. He then fell over Mitchell pulling Sam down with him. As you can plainly see there was no tackling action to drive him into the ground. Why the vfl can’t use some common sense is beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So this is what happened
Johnson was concussed when he clashed heads with Mitchell. He then fell over Mitchell pulling Sam down with him. As you can plainly see there was no tackling action to drive him into the ground. Why the vfl can’t use some common sense is beyond me.

Are we challenging mate?

So this is what happened

Your familial bias notwithstanding, I agree. I only saw the one piss poor camera angle, but it didn’t look like a 4 week tackle to me.

So this is what happened

That's what some others have said too. Hopefully the club will appeal on that basis. Sadly the VFL is a law unto itself.
Lotta people here talking crap.

Ridiculous. Once again the AFL punishment is based on an outcome, not intent or the incident.

Tackle might have been a fraction late in the ball having just left, but how could Wicks foresee the guy would trip over a player, and then not protect his own head? Both his arms were free. And how can they possibly judge what % of concussion was by the accidental head clash or the ground (if his head even hit it) later on?

If this rule was put into the NRL or rugby then they would have to be changed to touch footy because every time you tackle someone there is a chance they may fall, and a chance they don't protect themselves. How can a player possibly know or judge it?

Have you ever played a contact sport? You can't have.
Do rugby games contain 20 or 30 broken arms per game given there'd be more than a 100 tackles with about half resulting in a player using his arms either intentionally or not on landing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #15 Sam Wicks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back