Player Watch #15 Sam Wicks

Remove this Banner Ad

1719321473926.png

Sam Wicks

Sam Wicks is a small forward with tidy skills below his knees and an outstanding awareness around goal. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product was rookie-listed in November 2018 and was a consistent stand-out for the Sydney Swans’ NEAFL side in 2019. He became Sydney's fifth debutant of season 2020 when he was named to face Collingwood in Round 10, before finishing the season with seven appearances to his name. Wicks heads into 2021 fighting names like Tom Papley, Ben Ronke, Lewis Taylor and Sam Gray for a spot in Sydney’s best 22.

Sam Wicks
DOB: 14 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2018 Other
RECRUITED FROM: Manly-Warringah (NSW)/Sydney (NEAFL)

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnson to get a 4 game ban for taking out Mitchell high as Mitchell played for the ball ;)

Edit: I wrote this before realising the tribunal has already made its appalling decision to uphold the ban. Absolutely pathetic.

Can we plead insanity to get off the charges? We have pretty compelling proof if we chose to use Parker’s and Heeney’s lawyer!

Last edited:

How do we pick out the single worst lawyer in the whole of Sydney lol

Very small sample size, but we've used counsel from the same chambers for the last few big appeals (Parker, Heeney, now Wicks). Someone needs to suggest to the Swans to branch out from 7 Wentworth Selborne. Not all silks are the same.

Somewhat bizarrely, our goto counsel seems to be mostly an expert in construction and insurance law. Odd to not have someone who's more of an expert in sports and administrative law.

Very small sample size, but we've used counsel from the same chambers for the last few big appeals (Parker, Heeney, now Wicks). Someone needs to suggest to the Swans to branch out from 7 Wentworth Selborne. Not all silks are the same.

Somewhat bizarrely, our goto counsel seems to be mostly an expert in construction and insurance law. Odd to not have someone who's more of an expert in sports and administrative law.

You’d think after the Heeney one (it should have been before that but let’s go there) we should have gone to another legal firm

So where to from here. There's no fckn way anyone would be copping that on the chin.

#freeWicks

Don’t see how we are getting him off regardless of how soft it may be this is the going rate these days. You make a tackle (which is fine and 100% in the game) you have to ensure 100% duty of care. They will say the ball is past the contest and he could have released do I agree on the fence but I get it duty of care is paramount so I do get the ban but personally I feel they have it wrong on the table where strikes are way less for me that’s something to address off season.

Don’t see how we are getting him off regardless of how soft it may be this is the going rate these days. You make a tackle (which is fine and 100% in the game) you have to ensure 100% duty of care. They will say the ball is past the contest and he could have released do I agree on the fence but I get it duty of care is paramount so I do get the ban but personally I feel they have it wrong on the table where strikes are way less for me that’s something to address off season.
One of the many problems this year has been the rubric itself being lob sided for impact compared to intention. 3 game scale for impact vs a 1 game scale for intent is just dumb imo. Having said that, the tackle Wicks laid per the rubric and alongside other similar tackles was always going to be 3-4 and the only argument for 3 was leniency for the Mitchell/Johnson head clash moments prior.

One of the many problems this year has been the rubric itself being lob sided for impact compared to intention. 3 game scale for impact vs a 1 game scale for intent is just dumb imo. Having said that, the tackle Wicks laid per the rubric and alongside other similar tackles was always going to be 3-4 and the only argument for 3 was leniency for the Mitchell/Johnson head clash moments prior.

Pretty much, we can't change it now but post season they have to look at football vs non football acts. A strike is not a football act, a tackle is. Clamp down harder on strikes/off ball rubbish I'm all for this. A 3 week entry point for a tackle is overboard imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Wicks caused or contributed to the concussion with that tackle then it is a clear 3-4 week suspension.
How do you determine causation or contribution when a tackle is laid, but the tackle'ee also has a bloke lying down across his legs... In that case, Mitchell also contributed and therefore must cop a suspension.

How do you determine causation or contribution when a tackle is laid, but the tackle'ee also has a bloke lying down across his legs... In that case, Mitchell also contributed and therefore must cop a suspension.
He tackled him, he disposed of the ball, he kept tackling him and his head drove his head into the ground, and he went off concussed.

It really wasn't that complicated.

Issue and what they will say is the ball is past the point there wasn’t a need to continue to tackle and he had an opportunity to pull out of it. In the current day this was always a suspension just whether it was 3 or 4 weeks they went the latter.

Johnson to get a 4 game ban for taking out Mitchell high as Mitchell played for the ball ;)

Edit: I wrote this before realising the tribunal has already made its appalling decision to uphold the ban. Absolutely pathetic.

Can we plead insanity to get off the charges? We have pretty compelling proof if we chose to use Parker’s and Heeney’s lawyer!
Okay, thanks for the context video. Now we need to see the video of the heinous act which led to Wicks being suspended for four weeks. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #15 Sam Wicks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back