Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell.jpg

Braeden Campbell
Braeden Campbell was drafted with the fifth overall pick of the 2020 AFL Draft and has enjoyed an exciting start to life as a Swan. Recruited from Pennant Hills Demons, Campbell is revered for his brilliant versatility and exceptional left-foot kick. He made his AFL debut in Round 1 of the 2021 season and was voted as the Round 2 NAB Rising Star nominee after recording 25 disposals and six marks against the Adelaide Crows. The 21-year-old has improved year on year missing just one match in 2023 and set several career-best performances in the process.
Pick 5

Last edited:

He was actually aggressive too, got in the faces a bit, a nice bump, after his tackle (missed the goal ) deep he had a crack at the Dons flog.
Snap ! Last night was the first time I’ve seen him get aggressive at the contest, bump the dons flog as you said - in short he was fierce and it looked like he had a point to prove to us BF posters.

This is what Stephens never could do.

Oh and those goals were incredible !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's ripped into the contest the last few games, he was equal highest tackler v bombers. This performance has been building. Once again it's getting the defensive side of things right for offensive minded players, same thing happened with Warner before he went into his ripping form. His defensive pressure lifted big time.

I think it'll also give other teammates confidence in utilising Campbell as an option when transitioning the ball. Soo pleased for him.

That game on Friday night should be the blueprint for Campbell.

I don't think there's enough to him as a player to get big, all-round performances from him. But he can do some damn good things and if he's in positions to do those damn good things enough, then he's a valuable player to have. Nothing wrong with some style > substance players if you don't have too many of them and the ones you do have are good enough.

That game on Friday night should be the blueprint for Campbell.

I don't think there's enough to him as a player to get big, all-round performances from him. But he can do some damn good things and if he's in positions to do those damn good things enough, then he's a valuable player to have. Nothing wrong with some style > substance players if you don't have too many of them and the ones you do have are good enough.

The next 2 years could see a big jump in Campbell's output I reckon.

If McInerney is too late to come back in and underdone for fitness then Campbell needs to step up and fill a bit of hole that Justin has left.

One more game for Campbell to insert himself into the finals campaign as spots will be tight after next week barring injuries. I have faith in him, his last few weeks have shown a lot of confidence and improvement because of it, even in the games the swans were losing.

Surely with no Wicks and off the back of his last couple of weeks he's in pole position to retain that small forward place in the side. I would like to see him operating at the feet of the half forwards, being that threat of a goal around the 50m line but also capable of delivering to a deeper Papley at the feet of the full forwards.
MacInerney and Papley both needing to get match fitness back isn't ideal but the bye plus the fact it's a non elimination final mean we do have that safety net there to play them if we feel they are going to be a chance.
Sheldrick and Corey Warner will be looming over Campbell if he isn't up for another big one.

Sheldrick and Corey Warner will be looming over Campbell if he isn't up for another big one.
I think he's well ahead of Corey and Sheldrick, at least as far as the 2024 campaign goes.

It comes down to who is going to get squeezed out if we're fortunate enough to have all of Papley, Chad, McInerney and Fox available for the finals. Fox isn't an automatic in, even if he's available, but he's versatile and reliable. The other three are definite ins if fit. Corey and Cleary are the first two obvious ones to make way (notwithstanding they could be players of the future). After that, who knows. Parker seemed to be teetering on the edge but surely not after the last two weeks. Roberts must be a starter given his calmness and ball use in defence. So Campbell might find himself battling with Adams? Lloyd (my nomination, probably not the coaches'), and Fox for the last couple of spots in the team, baring more injury. Unless they decide to change the structure and move away from the three talls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back