Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell.jpg

Braeden Campbell
Braeden Campbell was drafted with the fifth overall pick of the 2020 AFL Draft and has enjoyed an exciting start to life as a Swan. Recruited from Pennant Hills Demons, Campbell is revered for his brilliant versatility and exceptional left-foot kick. He made his AFL debut in Round 1 of the 2021 season and was voted as the Round 2 NAB Rising Star nominee after recording 25 disposals and six marks against the Adelaide Crows. The 21-year-old has improved year on year missing just one match in 2023 and set several career-best performances in the process.
Pick 5

Last edited:
He's class
Just needs a confident run at it.

That take at pace on the outside from a cross field kick.

Mate. That was mint
Helps that the kick was from Heeney. It was perfectly weighted to allow Campbell to run onto it without breaking stride.

Never having played the game at any level, let alone an elite level, I sometimes wonder how much time the players have to take account of who they're kicking to and what that player is capable of. There aren't many in the team who could have done what Campbell did. Would Heeney have kicked it there had it been someone else?

Helps that the kick was from Heeney. It was perfectly weighted to allow Campbell to run onto it without breaking stride.

Never having played the game at any level, let alone an elite level, I sometimes wonder how much time the players have to take account of who they're kicking to and what that player is capable of. There aren't many in the team who could have done what Campbell did. Would Heeney have kicked it there had it been someone else?
I've seen kicks like that to Jmac, Liz and Lloyd before.
However few with that much pace

it was ... and i agree campbell is class, always rated him ...
but geez, the kick from heeney ... he actually had to "see" that in his mind before it was even there
You practice that over and over.
2022 a kick to Juzzy on the run from Gulden I think.
2021 another kick to Juzzy from Dawson.
All without breaking stride.

it was ... and i agree campbell is class, always rated him ...
but geez, the kick from heeney ... he actually had to "see" that in his mind before it was even there
I reckon Heeney - the fit, or fit-enough version - is our best kick. Better than Gulden, notwithstanding he pulls off kicks that no-one else could.

His best is forward of centre.

Been bang on about that since he was drafted and we did this dumb HBF experiment.

He is a player who cuts you up across the wing, i50 kicks or goals. Give him 15 disposals in that area and he will cut teams up.

Playing him in defensive roles has helped develop his defensive skills. I think they persisted with that role too long but it has allowed for him to impact the game with his pressure/tackling along with his offensive skillset.

Heat map v Essendone

1723984773977.png

Def-Fwd
I think that's ideal ground coverage for him, wing to fwd 50

His best is forward of centre.

Been bang on about that since he was drafted and we did this dumb HBF experiment.
Same. Drafted as a mid/fwd. I'm fine with experimenting, developing players with some time in other positions. But it's taken far too long to give him a proper go forward, especially since we've needed options there.

I hope the half-back experiment is done. I’m sure it’s helped with his defensive development but I’d much rather have Robbie Fox back there, even if it means giving up some speed. Campbell is brilliant in attack.

I hope the half-back experiment is done. I’m sure it’s helped with his defensive development but I’d much rather have Robbie Fox back there, even if it means giving up some speed. Campbell is brilliant in attack.
I actually think he’d go ok as an attacking half-back. But he’s generally been playing deeper - more of a back pocket role. I think his speed is one of the attractions for putting him there, though his straight line pace seems more dangerous (or useful) than his speed in tight corners. And as Nick Smith showed, you don’t actually have to be particularly quick to be a highly effective back pocket.

I actually think he’d go ok as an attacking half-back. But he’s generally been playing deeper - more of a back pocket role. I think his speed is one of the attractions for putting him there, though his straight line pace seems more dangerous (or useful) than his speed in tight corners. And as Nick Smith showed, you don’t actually have to be particularly quick to be a highly effective back pocket.
More about anticipation, concentration and surge speed over a few metres.
Our backline is short enough as it is.

I'm kinda with you. The McReery goal in Pies/Lions game was another reminder that leaving those important stoppages defence to young players not fully schooled in defence can be very costly this time of year - I'm sure Braeden still has a nervous tick thinking about guarding Toby G at that critical stoppage a few years back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he only gets 10-15 possessions I want them all forward of centre. Someone of his inside 50s last night were brilliant and I don't even think Gulden could kick.
What impressed me was that he lowered his eyes better and found targets rather than kicking the skin off the ball. Much more effective.

Not high possessions last night , but his intensity has gone to another level , well done and hope he proves me wrong
I've also been a critic, but he is starting to show why he should remain in the team, now. I hope my previous posts will eventually reveal me to be the idiot that I undoubtedly am.

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Impeccable timing to be discovering that good form too

it's not just "form" ... campbell is a genuine top-class footballer and will continue to prove that over his career
it's taken a while longer than, say, gulden or warner but the talent has always been there, i really believe it's just been a confidence thing, and he seems to have found confidence as much as he's found form over the past two months

Last edited:
I couldn't fault this last game of Campbell's. Yet another deadly mid-forward role, opening holes in defence, using his speed to bust and break from packs and picking off the sort of shots that could leave even Gulden ball watching. That laser pass to pick out Taylor Adams, the fast spin and handball to Parker and popping the ball into a certain goal for McDonald.

I was also encouraged by his hard tackling and serious ground coverage. Blocking Crows clearances, running hard to get separation and getting back to shore up defence before becoming part of our fast rebound from turn-over. He looked like he has been trying to look, like he finally found all the pieces. His confidence and the faith of his teammates goes a long way

If Campbell can repeat or improve every week, he stays best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back