Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell.jpg

Braeden Campbell
Braeden Campbell was drafted with the fifth overall pick of the 2020 AFL Draft and has enjoyed an exciting start to life as a Swan. Recruited from Pennant Hills Demons, Campbell is revered for his brilliant versatility and exceptional left-foot kick. He made his AFL debut in Round 1 of the 2021 season and was voted as the Round 2 NAB Rising Star nominee after recording 25 disposals and six marks against the Adelaide Crows. The 21-year-old has improved year on year missing just one match in 2023 and set several career-best performances in the process.
Pick 5

Last edited:
The development of Campbell and Florent into those wing-half-forward roles has been clever. They provide an unpredictable extra line of attack through our forward half, they're both fairly quick and their sklls and positioning during attack allows them to provide fast inside 50 kicks or handballs, or even goals from outside 50. In the event of a turnover and fast rebound they are positioned with the speed needed to blunt, slow or tackle the opposition, at least giving our defence time to reshape.

We were probably the most affected team when the AFL made the mid-season change to the HTB rule. The much faster timing severely limited our ability to re-shape our defence quickly enough. If the AFL had been looking for a way to tame our dominance they could not have done it better. Our game plan relied on fast and risky corridor movement, sharp kicking, fast runnning, handballing and total commitment to a forward half game. Our ability to maintain our shape after turnover and counter-punch was wrecked when we had no time to switch to defence.

Alongside the loss of a few key players, especially the run of McInerney, we were left vulnerable to counter-attack, which we were liable to if enough pressure was applied. Withour the willingness to risk, run and take the corridor, we tried to kick our way through defences. If forced to kick down the line we simply didn't have the contested marking strength to do it - a reason why I think Horse would have loved to get Reid back, as he was always our best contested mark.

Forced to maintain a tighter defensive structure we tried to scrape wins playing old skool Swans. Close hard footy based on kicking, scrapping, inside work and desperation. It wasn't enough.

So did we get our Mojo back against the Pies? I think at that point we decided to go back to the old habits that had worked. Insanely fast ball movement, kicking and running hard in waves. We did something more though, we changed the roles of a few players to increase our ability to defend and pressure centre-forward mediately upon our opponents gaining possession. We started seeing Campbell or Florent chasing and tackling hard across the centre of the ground as they created, joined or boosted congestion, then used their kicking and burst pace to break away in attack.

These are just some views on the changes we've made and why. Results so far suggest we've found a work around the AFL's mid-season rule change. The return of some key players will be another boost. Meanwhile we're less predictable, better rested, we have more depth and opposition teams have not had a full season to probe for any weaknesses.

I like that our team could make a substantial change to our game plan on the fly, losing a few games but maintaining the top spot, resting a few who needed it and not rushing anyone back. That the team had the faith in Campbell to perform a big chunk of that change speaks volumes for him. Opposition teams will have yet more Swans attacking options to try to counter. Maybe Campbell won't win the '24 Norm Smith but he's helped get us into a very good position for finals success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought him as sub was right and even if he got dropped i would have said yeah ok, despite thinking how good he has been lately.

This was a coming of age game

Should never be the sub again under extremely difficult circumstances with a family passing he was immense at the contest.
Part of why he was so immense was he was fresh.

Hopefully the coming of age moment for him. Been better the last few weeks, but didn't see that coming from him (at least in 24). Usually our subs come on and get 2 or 3 touches, one of the only times I can remember a sub coming on and actually potentially being one of the key differences with their fresh legs (For us, I mean....seen it happen plenty for other teams).

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back