Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

Campbell.jpg

Braeden Campbell
Braeden Campbell was drafted with the fifth overall pick of the 2020 AFL Draft and has enjoyed an exciting start to life as a Swan. Recruited from Pennant Hills Demons, Campbell is revered for his brilliant versatility and exceptional left-foot kick. He made his AFL debut in Round 1 of the 2021 season and was voted as the Round 2 NAB Rising Star nominee after recording 25 disposals and six marks against the Adelaide Crows. The 21-year-old has improved year on year missing just one match in 2023 and set several career-best performances in the process.
Pick 5

Last edited:

Sub will be Fox or possibly Adams. Maybe even McInerney. Campbell is definitely in.

I reckon Campbell is a sub chance like Bedford said.

otherwise yeah those guys or Parker

Did Horse tell you that ! don't change something that works
Horse did say that Braedon would have been in the starting 22 for the EF had he not had a challenging week leading up to it (groin; grandpa)

You can argue that he was a great sub. But you could equally argue that he’s a talented player with some valuable attributes, and that 80 or 90 minutes of him is better than 20 odd.

Horse did say that Braedon would have been in the starting 22 for the EF had he not had a challenging week leading up to it (groin; grandpa)

You can argue that he was a great sub. But you could equally argue that he’s a talented player with some valuable attributes, and that 80 or 90 minutes of him is better than 20 odd.

yeah, the sub thing worked against the giants but i think over the past month or so campbell has proven himself worthy of a start ... but i'm glad it's not up to me

Sorting out the last 4 or so players is challenging because of their positive attributes more so than the negatives. Each brings something to the table. I imagine by now the committee will have decided unless they are waiting on a fitness test.

I don't think Campbell playing with fresh legs mattered as much as a people want to believe. Kid has been growing, we would have been better with him playing the whole game than Jmac starting

yes, although we only know that in hindsight ... but it was instructional heading into these next two games, as shown by the debate around mcinerney's fitness
there seems no indication from the club that mcinerney won't be a part of the next two weeks so what to do with him is a very big issue ... does he start again? or is he used as a sub in the belief he's right to go, but would be better as a fresh "burst" player in the last quarter or so?
if fox comes in for mills, adams likely misses out
but if adams comes in and starts, mcinerney subbing for him would probably be my preference
i'd certainly argue adams' experience and the type of player he is would be better suited starting than coming on as the sub

Even though he was better in his last couple of full games , he still didn't get a lot of it

Even though he was better in his last couple of full games , he still didn't get a lot of it
Gee's Bedders, when you don't like a player you really don't like a player!
Why is it sooooo important with the amount of times he gets it? Isn't what he does with it far more important? And what he's done with it the last few games has been pretty bloody good.

This is my position as well. Horse's comments about Campbell being considered as a starter in the QF, coupled with his mantra of choosing the 23rd best player as sub, I'd assume Campbell will start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee's Bedders, when you don't like a player you really don't like a player!
Why is it sooooo important with the amount of times he gets it? Isn't what he does with it far more important? And what he's done with it the last few games has been pretty bloody good.
WHEN did i say i dislike him ! i said he needs to get it more and lift his intensity that's all and it's improved no doubt, also it IS important how many times he gets it
I just believe with our structure he plays sub the next 2 games

I was referring to Cameron !
I know but I widened the scope of reference to the broader efforts of Fox and Warner in the 22 GF against pretty much the entire Geelong team. Fox did a special job on nullifying Cameron, but he and Warner were the only Swans players who really lifted themselves to the level needed

WHEN did i say i dislike him ! i said he needs to get it more and lift his intensity that's all and it's improved no doubt, also it IS important how many times he gets it
I just believe with our structure he plays sub the next 2 games

Sometimes you're funnier than a fat geriatric in a MAGA hat.

"Campbell ate their Dawgs. He ate their Catz. I saw it on TV"

Based on recent form and trajectory: Campbell plays. McInerney rests. Fox steps in for Mills.
This plus Taylor as sub.

1. Campbell has the speed and kicking skills to cause real problems for our opposition. He can run hard up and down the wing, increasing our defence or, when racing forward with good speed, he becomes yet another hard to defend attacking option alongside our Three Musketeers (and Blakey)

2. Fox is excellent cover for Mills. He can also play small/tall and move between defence and attack. If we do get through to face Geelong, he will be essential.

3. Taylor gets a chance to press his case if he does well enough.

4. McInerney was raced back well before he was up to finals pressure. Normally I'd say the extra run is essential but he just didn't have it. He doesn't look close to finals pressure, nor does he have the speed, sublime kicking or the awesome attacking flair that Campbell's showing.

We're not playing last week's team, so we learn, change and take our best. IMHO this team shapes itself for the PF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #16 Braeden Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back