Traded #17: Jake Melksham - Traded to Melbourne for pick 25

Remove this Banner Ad

How's the class?

More games with 10+ I50s please.

Should have pulled the trigger from 50 at least once.

Leading the comp right now.

Picking up where he left off under Hird. Great to see. 100th game this week.

Leading the comp right now.

Picking up where he left off under Hird. Great to see. 100th game this week.
It's on ANZAC Day actually.

Hmm. Who am I thinking of? Benny?
Yes. Howlett 100th this week, Melksham 100th ANZAC Day along with Colyer's 50th.

Seems as though Hirdy brings the best out of Melksham. As much as he can be frustrating we need to persist with him as he could a major part of our core group in the near future. I wish he would pump the ball in instead of messing about on the half forward line so often though!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id like the coaches to give him licence to have a ping at the goals from outside 50. A few times he has put it over the top of hte forwards head about 3-5m out from goal after trying to drop it on their heads. Very easy for the defenders to rush it as our big blokes dont have the turning speed.

Brisbane did it with Rich a few years ago, if he was within 60m he would go for goals and both he and Melksham have that low flat kicking style.

He doesnt get an absolute ton of the ball but if he can ping shots from 60m out we become so much more dangerous, especially with Myers injured

Usually "just kick g the ****ing thing" is A1 in the slack-jawed comments stakes, but with this fella it's pretty much the case.

First instinct is the best one, Jake.

It's amazing how the turn around in performances of one player has had such a significant change in the make up of the side. All of the sudden you've got some exquisite skill, speed and a bit of grunt around the ball, with Cooney and Goddard roaming from half forward and we're not wondering which of the kids will be the one that can step into a midfield spot.

In the past he has hung onto the ball too long, kicked poorly and often to the opposition. But he seems to be really confident now. He has always been a player we have needed to kick on. Very impressive U18 highlights as I recall.

As obvious as it is to say so much of it has to do with consistency.

If Melksham is settled again, there will be days he looks like the best kick in the game.

I'd still be trying to make a point of having him on the end of as many of our forward 50 entries as possible.

I still remember ant555 's comments about him when we drafted him. Kicking and sustainability were his two biggest issues

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded #17: Jake Melksham - Traded to Melbourne for pick 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back