Delisted #17: James Stewart - Will be delisted despite having a year on his contract - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems strange the more you think about it.

Not best 22, we already had Reid and Cox developing and were interested in drafting Hayes, yet still gave him 2 years.

1 year was fine but the two was bizarre. Can only assume another club offered him two and we matched it.

But if that is the case you say thanks very much and pick up some vet for a year.

Seems strange the more you think about it.

Not best 22, we already had Reid and Cox developing and were interested in drafting Hayes, yet still gave him 2 years.
Hayes is years away from reaching his output, and Reid and Cox are even more injury prone than Stewart is.

Still a bad decision no matter how you try and spin it. Even worse now we're using Baldwin as a KPD and McBride still hasn't gotten a gig.
Bad decision, or merely the least worst?

Is retaining a guy who might be available as depth for half the season better than leaving yourself reliant on an untested Baldwin, McBride and Hayes? Or a perma injured Reid and Cox? It really depends on what other options were forgone. If the view is that Stewart is limited then recruiting a mature age KPD in his place would have made sense, however I am not sure if there was anyone capable of AFL standard output available cheaply.

Hayes is years away from reaching his output, and Reid and Cox are even more injury prone than Stewart is.
Actually they are not really. Stewart still has them covered :)
He was not the stop gap choice given his injury history .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can delist and rookie him, and that would mean only 70k or something goes against our cap.

Not sure it helps the list spot issue though.
Other way around, 70k outside the cap and the rest inside the cap. If you only pay them rookie wages then it’s a free hit cap wise.

Don’t think the cap itself is actually an issue though.

Easier to just leave him on the senior list and then move him to the inactive list for an extra list spot in SSP/MSD, if it turns out that he isn’t going to be able to play for the rest of the season or wants to retire.

And if he does retire then he takes the hit salary wise, otherwise you can always delist and pay out some amount of what’s left on the contract.

I think it’s all a bit moot though at this stage. It’s not like we’ll be short of list spots at the end of the year

Should be doing the team thing retire by years end. Has never played a full year (pb 17), is not a star at either end in the comp (unsettled), is aging (just turned 29), and whilst he has a physical attributes to be an AFL player, I don't trust him or his body.
Between Stewart and Laverde as mature bodies, and Cox and Reid whose fitness we also can't trust, we should be looking to bring in an established key defender.

I think I have missed something with Stewart’s injury - doesn’t even have a timeframe for return now.

Can only assume the foot issue was gangrene and they have amputated…

I think I have missed something with Stewart’s injury - doesn’t even have a timeframe for return now.

Can only assume the foot issue was gangrene and they have amputated…
Waiting for clearance to play with titanium legs .

Waiting for clearance to play with titanium legs .
Still listed as tbc - apparently a global shortage of titanium :)

This is a weird one even by our standards. Hasn’t been mentioned in an injury update for weeks and timeframe has just been left unspecified…..would have been handy to match up Hawkins this week.

Poor bugger

His career is cooked

Remember those 5 mins our forward line looked amazing with Hooker, Stewart, Daniher, Fantasia, AMT etc

Stewart was youngish, super mobile, burning defenders on long leads, Nick Reiwoldt lite style

Now he’s a heavy, fragile veteran who needs to be wheeled to a contest

Bom Dia Hello GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back