17 Teams and the fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
How will the fixture work next year? There will be teams that have more than one bye which would be unfair...so how will it work?

Also how will dream team work?

Whichever team draws the bye should play in the country that week to further the interests of the game.

re dream team : on these weeks, players in the non playing team will be awarded their average.

All teams will play the same amount of games, some weeks may have more than one bye. I think every club will be scheduled for 2 Byes

Just give the bottom teams from this year the extra bye. It's probably the fairest way to do it.

Just give them 2 games verses the Tigers.......same thing as a bye!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More importantly, how will Dream Team work?

Surely more effort should be put into solving this than fixturing, finals, etc.

i think we will see Match Ratio come back in

MR is basically wins/ games played.

We had this system in the 90s when we had 15 teams for a couple of seasons

Provided that every side has the same amount of byes, the M/R is a ridiculously redundant concept - no need to bring it back in my view

i reckon the best way to do it would be to have each side play each other once (obviously after that has happened each team would get one bye).
so after 17 rounds every team has played 16 games. Then the top 12 teams should bee put into a draw lottery where they'll play any 2 other top 12 teams in the last 2 rounds of the hom and away fixture and each side is cemented a home and away game in these lottery rounds, this allows side just outside of the top 8 or top 4 to have a last crack at making finals or top 4.

so in effect it would look like this.

Rounds 1-17- 8 games per week, 1 team having a bye per week

Rounds 18-19- 6 games per week (only the teams finishing 1st to 12th after round 17 play in these rounds)

it would probably be best to have a week off between rounds 17 and 18 to accomadate for clubs preparing for where they have to play.

any club that plays a home game in round 18 will play away in round 19 (and vice versa)

Provided that every side has the same amount of byes, the M/R is a ridiculously redundant concept - no need to bring it back in my view

Agree.
All teams will play the same amount of games at the end of the season so match ratio does not apply in the final round - its points and percentage that will count. Like always - its points on the board that counts - everything else is bulldust!

Remove this Banner Ad

17 Teams and the fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back