17 y/o draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Gazza_11

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Right, what are we going to do about it? If we could snare O'Meara with a few of our mature bodied midfielders and/or draft picks we could have some serious talent running around. But what would it take? Few other very good players there such as Crouch, Kennedy, etc.

Oh and one thing I know is that we are very interested in Jaeger ;)

I thought O'Meara was only enterting the 17yo mini-draft if he was going to end up at a WA club?

Doesn't really have the power to manipulate it like that. Will probably end up going to whoever has the number 1 pick.

I thought O'Meara was only enterting the 17yo mini-draft if he was going to end up at a WA club?
That's what I've heard. He wants to try and stay in WA. The 17 y/os have to nominate for the mini draft I believe, and he will only nominate if a WA club gets one of those picks.

Which is why we could use one to snag Jack Viney (who would only nominate if we got one of those picks) and then save our first-rounder for the superdraft.

That's what I've heard. He wants to try and stay in WA. The 17 y/os have to nominate for the mini draft I believe, and he will only nominate if a WA club gets one of those picks.

Which is why we could use one to snag Jack Viney (who would only nominate if we got one of those picks) and then save our first-rounder for the superdraft.

yeah it all really depends, why should we waste a pick on viney when we could maybe pick up omeara or one of these kids and then take viney for potentially a lower pick than he would normally go for

and then of course the whole scully situation were we we could have 2 more first round picks to play with in the super draft ?
the other question is what can we offer to GWS for one of those picks
?

yeah it all really depends, why should we waste a pick on viney when we could maybe pick up omeara or one of these kids and then take viney for potentially a lower pick than he would normally go for

and then of course the whole scully situation were we we could have 2 more first round picks to play with in the super draft ?
the other question is what can we offer to GWS for one of those picks
?
trade them back a compo pick! those first round compo picks are like GOLD to the expansion teams as we saw with GC17 last year.

Viney isn't eligible to be picked as a 17 year old in this case. Can be picked by GWS as one of their 12 17 year olds.

GWS already have there 12 - 17 year olds picked and are currently playing for GWS.

O'Meara has already put himself in the mini draft, it is now a case of whoever put in the best bid will get the first draft pick which will most likely be use to get O'Meara. So melb is as good a chance as any club to work a deal with GWS.

Would be great if we could get him, sounds like CG will offer up their (likely) pick 4 this year which will be hard to trump, but GWS will be after compo picks also, hopefully we could get him for one of the Scully compo picks.

If Scully goes that is. If we get him back for just the compensation pick that would be incredible, but have a feeling we might have to throw in a player too.

If Scully doesn't go I'd be thinking we trade a few big bodied midfielders or forwards and a first rounder. All depends to be honest. It is a massive risk, given he can't even play until 2013. But could come off, seriously rate this kid.

If Scully goes that is. If we get him back for just the compensation pick that would be incredible, but have a feeling we might have to throw in a player too.

If Scully doesn't go I'd be thinking we trade a few big bodied midfielders or forwards and a first rounder. All depends to be honest. It is a massive risk, given he can't even play until 2013. But could come off, seriously rate this kid.

You mean when he goes;). I reckon if one of the compo picks works like this: that you get the compo pick after you normal 1st pick, and GWS finish last in '12 (which is almost certain)then their compo pick becomes pick 2, which would well and truly be worth it to them (if that's how it works).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would certainly be worth a lot more to them than us! We'd get the best player from 2012, and they get the second and third best! Instead of them getting just the 2nd best player. Plus they get Scully, whom we lose.

But I still reckon he will stay ;)

I was just wondering why GWS would do this to help any club? Wouldn’t they want to pick him up in the 2012 AFL draft as they will most likely finish last and receive the first pick?

Even if they were to deal him to another club this year I doubt it would be us. I am sure there’s a club out there like GC (someone said above) or port who would rather trade there pick this year to secure him for 2013.

Is he even that good to trade picks and/or players for him?

You mean when he goes;). I reckon if one of the compo picks works like this: that you get the compo pick after you normal 1st pick, and GWS finish last in '12 (which is almost certain)then their compo pick becomes pick 2, which would well and truly be worth it to them (if that's how it works).
the compo pick is anchored to the team that first receives its draft pick. so if we get a compo pick it will always be after out pick not the team we trade it to.

I was just wondering why GWS would do this to help any club? Wouldn’t they want to pick him up in the 2012 AFL draft as they will most likely finish last and receive the first pick?

Even if they were to deal him to another club this year I doubt it would be us. I am sure there’s a club out there like GC (someone said above) or port who would rather trade there pick this year to secure him for 2013.

Is he even that good to trade picks and/or players for him?

They have to trade those 4 picks. Unless they hold onto all of them this year and only trade them next year, O'Meara will almost definitely be picked this year. So I'd say chances of them getting him are about 5%

Why would he want to do this if he cannot play in the 1's or the team he goes to is not a WA team? He doesn't have to nominate. Is it just so he can be in the system a year earlier or could he play at Casey?

From what I know he doesn't really have a choice about which team he wants to go to.

Each (or some) of the picks will be auctioned off. If we have Pick 1 we can select whomever has nominated for this particular draft. I believe O'Meara has already done so, or the nominations must be in before the picks are auctioned off.

If he says no to us, then it'll probably the standard two year ban.

From what I know he doesn't really have a choice about which team he wants to go to.

Each (or some) of the picks will be auctioned off. If we have Pick 1 we can select whomever has nominated for this particular draft. I believe O'Meara has already done so, or the nominations must be in before the picks are auctioned off.

If he says no to us, then it'll probably the standard two year ban.

Ohhh ok

cheers mate

Remove this Banner Ad

17 y/o draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back