Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

Good evening lovely people.

Many thanks for putting me onto Yo La Tengo. My fantastic public libraries service came through with two albums. Stuff Like That There came first, and I'd say that it's pretty unfair to judge a band on an album like this: it would be like judging Bowie on Pin Ups or Gabriel on Scratch My Back. But I really liked Rickety and Awhileaway, so I was looking forward to today when I could collect This Stupid World.

And I love it. Has a real Thurston Moore/Sonic Youth feel which I like, but it's just a really engaging album.

I'll get around to listening to more of their stuff soon. I refuse to have Spotify so I'll think my way through it.

Have a great weekend, folks!
I have that Yo La Tengo covers album and it’s ok, but see if you can’t pick up the albums I played tracks from. In particular, I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass (2006). That was my first, which I loved and then I went for the back catalogue. So very worth it.

Last edited:
Book Recommendation:
This comes by way of reading the comments section on an article in the NY Times; "What Matters Most About Trump’s Guilty Verdict, According to 7 Opinion Writers" of which I can't share until tomorrow, when I get my new ten shares for the month and even then do I want to pollute the RZSS in further commenting at all on that 'Orange Person'.
Not really, I auto-tune out because of the bandwidth this person consumes and don't wish to waste my breath or brain space aware of the manipulated 'outrage' he stokes and provokes.
However when I saw this book and had a look at the reviews I thought I could do with a bit of that.
(Wacko it's around the corner in my library and on the shelf!)

The letter:
"First truth, then healing
Nebraska26m ago
The only thing that has helped me understand even slightly how so many people can be fans of such an awful person as 45 when there are heaps of evidence showing just how harmful he is to society is the book "Mental Immunity" by Andy Norman. The book talks about how bad ideas like racism and blind partisanship are social pathogens that are easily able to spread when we aren't building and using our own mental immune systems to better recognize and reject those noxious ideas outright.
When some use fear and hatred and other unethical means to discourage people from thinking things through, to believe blindly and never let solid evidence change their minds, then we end up where we currently are, with a number of people deciding on purpose every day to continue to ignore the enormous dangers to democracy and the rule of law. A favorite line from the book: "...we have actual moral responsibilities with regard to belief formation and maintenance."

The book;

The review:

The Yutoob interview with author:

Great song.

The Clash song, Clash City Rockers starts off in a very similar fashion, before it wisely diverges. Both great tunes.

RZSS NEWS AND VIEWS AND REVIEWS

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
New single: Frogs

Very Filmic - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Last edited:
RZSS NEWS AND VIEWS AND REVIEWS

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
New single: Frogs

Very Filmic - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Yeah, I like it. Uplifting music. Lyrics cutting both ways.

1717417602524.jpeg

This conversation is happening in the Roys FFC PM, but I’m moving it here.
Of the three, I preferred a Glug to a Sunnyboy or Razz. Thoughts? Should the RZSS Tuck Shop stock all three?

View attachment 2009929

Of the three, I preferred a Glug to a Sunnyboy or Razz. Thoughts? Should the RZSS Tuck Shop stock all three?
Sunnyboy.

You could kid yourself that it was good for you because it was orange flavoured. The other two were like consuming instant ADHD.

For the last few days I've had this album almost on repeat. It was the first Rolling Stones album I got and it's a genuine toss up between this, Let It Bleed and Beggars Banquet as my favourite of theirs. I really liked (and still like) the guitar work on the album, whether it's Keith Richards, Mick Taylor or Ry Cooder. The lead track off the album is overplayed, so here are my faves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Died Pretty name check the Sunnyboys. Nice.

“So here I am, alone with you
The Sunnyboys? - God bless them
And God bless you!”

Died Pretty name check the Sunnyboys. Nice.

“So here I am, alone with you
The Sunnyboys? - God bless them
And God bless you!”

Ron Peno was certainly a different cat. For someone who could definitely sing, he thumbed his nose at convention and deliberately sang off key.

A hard man to interview as a mate of mine found out to his disappointment.

Theatre of Hate’s first album Westworld (1982) was produced by Mick Jones and his fingerprints were all over it. This is their best known song and it still stands up today. The vocal delivery from Kirk Brandon is interesting, in that it sounds exactly like Mark Seymour. I wonder if Mark Seymour was a fan of the band. The resemblance is uncanny.

Theatre of Hate’s first album Westworld (1982) was produced by Mick Jones and his fingerprints were all over it. This is their best known song and it still stands up today. The vocal delivery from Kirk Brandon is interesting, in that it sounds exactly like Mark Seymour. I wonder if Mark Seymour was a fan of the band. The resemblance is uncanny.

Love it.

Yes, the vocal delivery sounds very similar to Mark Seymour. And I reckon the bass sounds a fair bit like John Archer.

And the ending, where they've reversed the tape is very Mick Jones on Sandinista.

View attachment 2009929

Glug all the way as the best tasting. Razz was used as fake lipstick.
Sunnyboys had the least flavour and were the most frozen. Remember seeing blood on them from your gums?
There was also a green one called Zap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back