Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

The penny just dropped, that the character in the vid of the recently released "I'm not a Role Model' by Fatboy Slim is taken from this album cover of his.
I'm not a Role Model is still on high rotation in the house of Pamcake but I don't want to Baddonk.
Interesting to distract by falling down the rabbit hole of following through the career of this early 60's child.

Nobody seems to know who the bloke on the cover of You've Come A Long Way, Baby is. People have been searching for years.

Nobody seems to know who the bloke on the cover of You've Come A Long Way, Baby is. People have been searching for years.
That was part of the rabbit warrren I went down this morning.
No doubt he is grown and changed, doesn't want to be recognaised and isn't an American
Or hasn't the heart to sue a la the Nivana cover and the sharksuited lawyers wanting a feed haven't found him yet either.
Or maybe just maybe signed a release form and is in on it, this I think possible, as FS is using him on projection at recent concerts, see below clip. In this clip I love the Keith Haring animation.

Ah the making of ye olde urban myths!

That was part of the rabbit warrren I went down this morning.
No doubt he is grown and changed, doesn't want to be recognaised and isn't an American
Or hasn't the heart to sue a la the Nivana cover and the sharksuited lawyers wanting a feed haven't found him yet either.
Or maybe just maybe signed a release form and is in on it, this I think possible, as FS is using him on projection at recent concerts, see below clip. In this clip I love the Keith Haring animation.

Ah the making of ye olde urban myths!

It's just as likely he's dead, as the photo is from 1983.

That is Suzi Quatro playing bass in the band?
Yes she had a character role in Happy Days:
"Leather Tuscadero" (Suzi Quatro) (seasons 5–6; 7 episodes) – A musician, younger sister of Pinky Tuscadero and a former juvenile delinquent, she forms her own girl group called "Leather and the Suedes." Richie, Ralph, Potsie and Chachi become her (nameless) backup band.

I really hated "Happy Days" as living in Castlemaine in the 70's was exactly like living in the 1950's, as far as attitudes went. Of the 25 girls in the same year 6 that started only 4 did year 12, most got married and had a child by the time they were 16 it was retrograde and they had low to no expectations of doing anything different from their parents.
There was no escaping it at school, Happy Day's was 'anti alternative' where the USA tried to rein in youth by presenting a pastiche of the 50's nostalgia as better than the present.
It's why I never saw Grease until 20 years after it was released and I wasn't a fan of 'OL 55' either, even if social norms in the country were a lot like that...eg. hot teenage date in Castlemaine circa 1975 would be doing blockies and parking up in front of the Blue Seas fish & Chip shop, drinking cans and checking out the traffic, till everything closed at 10pm.
Pfttt Castlemaine Crew had better things to do.
Compare this pair from 1976:

And now they're selling to the young ones '1975' culture through the prism of impossible nostalgia such as in the clip below.
I was listening to this back then and I'm not buying this packaging either.
Reality didn't look like that back then when this music was first played.
(History is a construct and nostalgia is a certain poison.)

Last edited:
Yes she had a character role in Happy Days:
"Leather Tuscadero" (Suzi Quatro) (seasons 5–6; 7 episodes) – A musician, younger sister of Pinky Tuscadero and a former juvenile delinquent, she forms her own girl group called "Leather and the Suedes." Richie, Ralph, Potsie and Chachi become her (nameless) backup band.

I really hated "Happy Days" as living in Castlemaine in the 70's was exactly like living in the 1950's, as far as attitudes went. Of the 25 girls in the same year 6 that started only 4 did year 12, most got married and had a child by the time they were 16 it was retrograde and they had low to no expectations of doing anything different from their parents.
There was no escaping it at school, Happy Day's was 'anti alternative' where the USA tried to rein in youth by presenting a pastiche of the 50's nostalgia as better than the present.
It's why I never saw Grease until 20 years after it was released and I wasn't a fan of 'OL 55' either, even if social norms in the country were a lot like that...eg. hot teenage date in Castlemaine circa 1975 would be doing blockies and parking up in front of the Blue Seas fish & Chip shop, drinking cans and checking out the traffic, till everything closed at 10pm.
Pfttt Castlemaine Crew had better things to do.
Compare this pair from 1976:

And now they're selling to the young ones '1975' culture through the prism of impossible nostalgia such as in the clip below.
I was listening to this back then and I'm not buying this packaging either.
Reality didn't look like that back then when this music was first played.
(History is a construct and nostalgia is a certain poison.)

I think that’s why Happy Days and Joy Division is such a strange and interesting juxtaposition.

Syd Straw - Future 40’s

Hey man, I'm making moves
And I am so much stronger than you
I am so much stronger
I am so much stronger than you

Everybody thinks the way that we thought
We thought ahead and look what we got

Well, I did not invent this world
Call my words a string of pearls, but
You will find the sheen soon loses luster
Meanwhile, the world would try to mend (the universe is shrinking as it could)

The future looked like the 40s'
And we were ready
We were ready, ready, we were

This isn't the way I dreamed it would be someday
(This is what I settled for)
If I had the chance (these are the things)
I'd come to find a way (I'd never dreamed or seen)
This is what I settled for
I had some fine dreams I traded them away

The future looked like the 40s'
And we were ready
We were ready, ready, ready, oh we were

Hey man I'm making moves
And I am so much stronger than you

Everybody thinks the way that we thought (I am so much stronger)
We thought ahead and look what we got (I am so much stronger than you)
I did not invent this world and (everybody thinks the way that we thought)
Call my words a string of pearls (we thought ahead and look what we got)
I did not invent this world
Call my words a string of pearls
But you will find the sheen loses all its luster

Says in a book on my dusty shelf
"History Repeats Itself"
Stream of the talk, and fire the top away

Songwriters: Syd Straw / John Michael Stipe / Jody Harris

IMG_0535.jpeg

Saturday 5th March, 1983 was such a fun day. I had uni on Monday and Pat Grimshaw started our tute with something like, “Good morning everyone. Are we all happy?” We knew what she was alluding to and everyone burst into grins and smiles. They were heady days.

Last edited:
That’s it … I just tipped my head and things I have been thinking and listening to this morning into the RZSS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for your brain salad this morning Kimba.
Here's mine, I saved these two from FB, of which I ignore all ads and spend maybe 15mins zooming past things, I really only keep it for distant friends, instagram I've backed right off since the Z bought it and turned it into a marketplace for lifestyle envy.
451168448_460126946822211_1974138183051683908_n.jpg

451496429_466179696043808_7597541241769423542_n.jpg

Notable releases:
The Beatles, the White Album
The Rolling Stones, Beggars Banquet
Jimmy Hendrix, Electric Ladyland
Velvet Underground, White Light White Heat
The Kinks, The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society
Van Morrison, Astral Weeks
The Byrds, Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Small Faces, Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake
The Mothers of Invention, We're Only In It For The Money
Pink Floyd, A Saucerful Of Secrets
The Band, Music From The Big Pink
Cream, Wheels On Fire
Doors, Waiting For The Sun
Big Brother & The Holding Company, Cheap Thrills
Aretha Franklin, Lady Soul
Manfred Man, Up The Junction
Hair Rock Musical Album
Sly And The family Stone, Life
James Brown, Say It Loud I'm Black and I'm Proud.
Stevie Wonder, For Once In My Life
Marvin Gaye, In The Groove
The Supremes, Reflections/Love Child
Elvis, Elvis Comeback Special
Bee Gees, Horizontal
The Easybeats, Vigil

Simon & Garfunkle, The Graduate
Bob Dylan, John Wesley Harding
Jose Feliciano, Feliciano!
Glen Campbell, Witchita Lineman/Gentle on my Mind
The Mamas & The Papas, self titled
The Seekers, Greatest Hits

Debut albums:
Fleetwood Mac
George Harrison, Wonderwall Music
Deep Purple, Shades of Deep Purple
Steppenwolf, Steppenwolf
Leonard Cohen, Songs of Leonard Cohen (released 27/12/1967)
Creedence Clearwater Revival, self titled
Richard Harris, A Tramp Shining (MacArthur Park)
Staus Quo, Pictures of Matchstick Men
Taj Mahal
The Soft Machine
Isaac Hayes
Fairport Convention
Some of the 1968 Pop Hits

Last edited:
You're going well today Pammy! Wide Open is a fantastic song off an underrated album. The entirety of Blue Lines (and Mezzanine for that matter) is so enjoyable. Keep up the great work!
Thanks for the vote of confidence Moginie.
I'm actually avoiding or delaying week two of the sewer wading, which I must go back to now.
With GUH's shuffling off his mortal coil, I'm feeling as so many are, the shock of the 'no more of-ness'.
Music is always the go to for sitting with feelings and every other purpose/occasion/moment.
Funny thing is two nights ago listening to ABC Melbs radio David Astle was interviewing Charlie Owen, about the album of 'Deaths Dateless Night' the funeral songs that he and Paul Kelly have done.
He was saying it came about because they were in a car coming back from MK's funeral and that MK was a very talented photographer, who had taken the iconic photo's of Paul Kelly in Lubbock Texas, that you would all know.
I was at that funeral, I was living with MK when he went on the trip to the USA and did those photos and the last time I saw MK we had dinner with Charlie & his family.
Every death reminds you of another, of you and yours mortality.
That's life, forever moving like the wind.

This morning I woke up with this song in my mind and the Currawongs calling to each other, as they are back for winter living in the cemetery across the road.

The song that they did for MK's funeral was this one:

And the other song played at the funeral, not by them, was one I posted last week, Dance Me To The End of Love.
I'm reminded of the pages of songs Kimba and I posted for the RZSS funeral menu, no less funny and no less pertinent.
GUH IRL was only a decade older than us, he lived his life as he saw fit and life lived him fittingly.
We live on and he lives on, in our hearts and minds, that given our age we carry many ghosts with us, not a burden, they are stardust, shimmering and light, memories.

I have posted elsewhere my tribute GUH, for the man we knew here I will post the following song for him that I think apt to mark his presence here, as he did enjoy poping in on a Saturday morning and now he's catching another wave in another sea.

Last edited:
Thanks for the vote of confidence Moginie.
I'm actually avoiding or delaying week two of the sewer wading, which I must go back to now.
With GUH's shuffling off his mortal coil, I'm feeling as so many are, the shock of the 'no more of-ness'.
Music is always the go to for sitting with feelings and every other purpose/ocassion/moment.
Funny thing is two nights ago listening to ABC Melbs radio David Astle was interviewing Charlie Owen, about the album of 'Deaths Dateless Night' the funeral songs that he and Paul Kelly have done.
He was saying it came about because they were in a car coming back from MK's funeral and that MK was a very talented photographer, who had taken the iconic photo's of Paul Kelly in Lubbock Texas, that you would all know.
I was at that funeral, I was living with MK when he went on the trip to the USA and did those photos and the last time I saw MK we had dinner with Charlie & his family.
Every death reminds you of another, of you and yours mortality.
That's life, forever moving like the wind.

This morning I woke up with this song in my mind and the Currawongs calling to each other, as they are back for winter living in the cemetery across the road.

The song that they did for MK's funeral was this one:

And the other song played at the funeral, not by them, was one I posted last week, Dance Me To The End of Love.
I'm reminded of the pages of songs Kimba and I posted for the RZSS funeral menu, no less funny and no less pertinent.
GUH IRL was only a decade older than us, he lived his life as he saw fit and life lived him fittingly.
We live on and he lives on, in our hearts and minds, that given our age we carry many ghosts with us, not a burden, they are stardust, shimmering and light, memories.

I have posted elsewhere my tribute GUH, for the man we knew here I will post the following song for him that I think apt to mark his presence here, as he did enjoy poping in on a Saturday morning and now he's catching another wave in another sea.

Beautifully expressed, my friend. Have a good one.

Below Filched From FB...aka FFF for future reference.

Always loved Saul Steinbergs cartoons and a lot of cartoonists published in the New Yorker.
This reminds me of one summer (2002?) in St West France on the farm to entertain my friends daughter Zoe then 9 we made paper hats for the animals of the house...the 3 dogs...the others wouldn't sit still. We are not talking sailboat design here oh no, first we had to drill down into exactly who the character of the dog was in order to give them the most suitable hat then there was the construction....and Aunty Pammy has some hard skills there to teach and do and be silly and laugh about. For Ocho the labrador (flabrador in my family) we made a chefs torque, she was only ever interested in food. For Art the Irish Wolf Hound, the alpha male who took his job very seriously we made a judges wig and for Callie the collie who was a hyperactively mad obsessive we made a racing helmet. Then we posed them and photographed them, pre internet so no pics to show.

“The masked series” 1959-1963
A collaboration between the photographer Inge Morath and the designer Saul Steinberg.

452254988_974535888016820_1141133586648046644_n.jpg . 452142846_974535944683481_2570859080178632202_n.jpg
452159785_974535711350171_4304159757283962970_n.jpg
came with this quote:
“Humour is the most beautiful symptom of human intelligence. Because when you do humor, you give relativity, you can play with everything, always with elegance and poetry.”Quote unknow

Remove this Banner Ad

Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back