Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations on your Lions 3KZ is Football you must have had a very big weekend.
It was exciting. My phone went nuts at half time. 20+ messages from people telling me that the Lions were ‘home’. A popular victory I think, especially for those of us whose hearts reside between Smith and Nicholson streets.

Page 80 - all my songs from 1980 were on the Spotify playlist I published earlier. The good news is that we are now entering into THE decade.

Last edited:
461591534_10162265451739586_6222395752557243923_n.jpg

Swanston Street cafes still had these in the 1980's. I remember one of these cafes was called the Golden Tower can't remember the others names.

FM Radio Stations.
The first commercial FM station was EON-FM (3EON-FM) Melbourne on 11 July 1980.
The first to launch, EON FM in Melbourne (later Triple M), shifted its initial playlist focus from album tracks to the Top 40, with immediate success. AM radio’s hold on the music listener would end abruptly, many of their best-known presenters and production personnel switching to FM employment throughout the 1980s.

The first song played on EON FM:

John Lennon was shot 8/12/1980 I heard about it on the radio.

The 1980 Quintessential Release:

The 1980 Quintessential Release:

A friend of mine lived in a share house with the late artist and CIT Alumni Russell Goodman who was a couple of years older than us. I was visiting her one day and he put Love Will Tear Us Apart on. I knew the song and loved it, but the vibe was that we were being initiated into some special new level of enlightenment. It was a bit wanky, so I reverted to snarky bolshevik school boy and interrupted the one eye open reverie with, “I know this song. It’s Devo’s new single isn’t it?”

Initiation over.

Last edited:

In my mind this was a great companion song for Love Will Tear Us Apart. New Order’s version of this track was brilliant, but with studio time and effort I think that Joy Division’s Ceremony could have rivalled Love Will Tear Us Apart

I watched this again in what must be the firstime in 50 years. I have been sitting on a still from the film in one of my notes, that I use to store images for later use. The still is from the Flea market when he looks at the painting of the girl with the hoop. Do you think I can find it when I need it.
But I did find this Saul Steinberg image:

461710838_937718255052187_1579548654212270180_n.jpg

Last edited:
I watched this again in what must be the firstime in 50 years. I have been sitting on a still from the film in one of my notes, that I use to store images for later use. The still is from the Flea market when he looks at the painting of the girl with the hoop. Do you think I can find it when I need it.
But I did find this Saul Steinberg image:

View attachment 2128725
I love his cats.

Apropos of nothing, and it's nothing to do with the 80s, I played this album last night for the first time in many years and it's still an absolute cracker.

October and November are the months for going back and listening to stuff in my collection or going and finding some new stuff.

Must have something to do with the lack of football......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard about this the other day.
Didn't realise that there was a national anthem for Hutt River Provence but there is:

Jon English was a Royboy.

And other Parisian News:

Last edited:
Countdown to Paris is beginning in earnest. We have changed our plans, having swapped out a week in Normandy for a week in Berlin.
So now it’s Paris —> Amsterdam—> Berlin —> Athens —> Thessaloniki —> Rhodes —> Crete.

Countdown to Paris is beginning in earnest. We have changed our plans, having swapped out a week in Normandy for a week in Berlin.
So now it’s Paris —> Amsterdam—> Berlin —> Athens —> Thessaloniki —> Rhodes —> Crete.
Good choices.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back