Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

Toujour c'est triste avec ces petit artisans et aussi en generale avec le commerce la bas.
Tu vu beaucoup des petit magasin, boucherie et al firme pasque le mondialisation, comme ici aussi.
1728127388539.jpeg
“I TIPPED THIS!”

Mrs m has a copy of his album "The Anvil". Fun, pompous and pretty forgettable music.
I've never seen the album but the song was very much a major hit att. Never heard anything else of theirs but it is no suprise to hear that the albums a dud listen.

Love it. You are way more organised than me. My tapes are in a plastic tub in the attic space.
Records are a-z, Compilation LP's (now) in year order, cassettes in genre-ish order, the DVDs are all living in the back of a cupboard somewhere.

Records are a-z, Compilation LP's (now) in year order, cassettes in genre-ish order, the DVDs are all living in the back of a cupboard somewhere.
I don’t have many DVDs - VHS tapes I have lots of and they are close at hand.

Bouncing off your above lists for 1981 still Kimba:
This always got me on the dancefloor and is one that lives on mixed tapes.
The clip got me interested in the New York scene because by then I was starting to connect the dots between the current fashion, art, music, cultural scenes via reading Andy Warhol's Interview magazine, Rolling Stone and Vanity Fair etc.
Jean-Michel Basquiat (the dj in the clip) was just dawning on the Art scene alongside Keith Haring and the other early streetscene graffiti into the Art Biz...Andy's Darlings...as a set.
The next generation from AW using the mudanities of consumer life combining with commentry and subversion of conventional value tropes. The centre of the Art scene was happening in New York and it was all cross pollinating and blending allsorts. New York appeared from the prism of glossy mags and clips not to be the beige tinge of the rest of what was coming out of the USA.
Fab Freddy in white as the ringmaster of the Noo Yawk Zoo of the street party in the clip, with the since then added on marketing hook that, this was the first time rap appeared in a mainstream release, as Blondie went with the disco backbeat and incorporated their scene centered around CBGB and the then ungentrified SOHO and Alphabet City.

Bouncing off your above lists for 1981 still Kimba:
This always got me on the dancefloor and is one that lives on mixed tapes.
The clip got me interested in the New York scene because by then I was starting to connect the dots between the current fashion, art, music, cultural scenes via reading Andy Warhol's Interview magazine, Rolling Stone and Vanity Fair etc.
Jean-Michel Basquiat (the dj in the clip) was just dawning on the Art scene alongside Keith Haring and the other early streetscene graffiti into the Art Biz...Andy's Darlings...as a set.
The next generation from AW using the mudanities of consumer life combining with commentry and subversion of conventional value tropes. The centre of the Art scene was happening in New York and it was all cross pollinating and blending allsorts. New York appeared from the prism of glossy mags and clips not to be the beige tinge of the rest of what was coming out of the USA.
Fab Freddy in white as the ringmaster of the Noo Yawk Zoo of the street party in the clip, with the since then added on marketing hook that, this was the first time rap appeared in a mainstream release, as Blondie went with the disco backbeat and incorporated their scene centered around CBGB and the then ungentrified SOHO and Alphabet City.

Great takes. During that period there was a clear influence, homage, recognition of what was happening in New York in terms of African American street music and culture. It was part of a process of cultural mainstreaming. Here’s another two bands off my playlist that have a crack at it.

Two years later Malcolm McClaren had a go with ‘Duck Rock’ but by then the ‘cat was out of the bag’.

1728414111039.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With BIG AUDIO DYNAMITE Mick Jones and Don Letts did a great job of throwing post-punk, Afro-Caribbean and Rap Culture into the melting pot. Still one of my favourite bands and super underrated. They even name check Rammellzee in the chorus.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back