Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

"The Cure will be playing Songs of a Lost World in its entirety at The Troxy in London on November 1st. To access tickets, fans must pre-order the album by 11:59pm on October 16th. It will also be live-streamed on YouTube for free."

I hope it’s good. 🤞

After a manic 1981, 1982 was a bit quieter. It proved to be the calm before the 1983 storm.
IMG_0947.png
IMG_0948.png
IMG_0949.png

"The Cure will be playing Songs of a Lost World in its entirety at The Troxy in London on November 1st. To access tickets, fans must pre-order the album by 11:59pm on October 16th. It will also be live-streamed on YouTube for free."

I watched the 2018 concert on the ginormous screen at the Palace (over here) with Mrs m. We were both really impressed. Once again they do an excellent job. Film was about 2hrs and change and every time I've seen them the gig has gone on for close to three hours. Serious value for money.

After a manic 1981, 1982 was a bit quieter. It proved to be the calm before the 1983 storm.
View attachment 2139985
View attachment 2139987
View attachment 2139988
The first list has some of my favourite tunes on it from the decade.
Back then 1982 I started off the year back at RMIT for 2nd year Graphic Design and hating it as I was given a bare pass for 1st year bc I had got the Head of Depts nose out of joint. The Head of Dept George Santos was an American ex-advertising guy. If you didn't swallow the 'Kool Aid' that he was shopping then you were the equivalent of a cockroach to be eradicated by any means. The means were interfering with my grades, an HD in one class became a pass etc. I was incensed by the unfairness but those were the days of untrammeled power of the Head of a Dept at RMIT. By Easter wanting out, a total turn around for a person who had always loved education. I stuck it out for the 1st semester and then deferred all of the rest of 2nd year bar the 2 drawing subjects. I was working at St Vincents Hospital by the end of the year in the Catering Dept. In the days when hospitals still had kitchens where they cooked. Memory of peeling 50-60 hard boiled eggs first off at 7.30am for the egg salad sandwiches before scooting off to serve morning teas in the wards where I'd infill absences in my white uniform and white shoes. The hospital, Nuns and all was a very different village to find myself working in, it was a job and 1982 was the first year I remember of it being really difficult to get a job.

The first list has some of my favourite tunes on it from the decade.
Back then 1982 I started off the year back at RMIT for 2nd year Graphic Design and hating it as I was given a bare pass for 1st year bc I had got the Head of Depts nose out of joint. The Head of Dept George Santos was an American ex-advertising guy. If you didn't swallow the 'Kool Aid' that he was shopping then you were the equivalent of a cockroach to be eradicated by any means. The means were interfering with my grades, an HD in one class became a pass etc. I was incensed by the unfairness but those were the days of untrammeled power of the Head of a Dept at RMIT. By Easter wanting out, a total turn around for a person who had always loved education. I stuck it out for the 1st semester and then deferred all of the rest of 2nd year bar the 2 drawing subjects. I was working at St Vincents Hospital by the end of the year in the Catering Dept. In the days when hospitals still had kitchens where they cooked. Memory of peeling 50-60 hard boiled eggs first off at 7.30am for the egg salad sandwiches before scooting off to serve morning teas in the wards where I'd infill absences in my white uniform and white shoes. The hospital, Nuns and all was a very different village to find myself working in, it was a job and 1982 was the first year I remember of it being really difficult to get a job.

Both of those are standout tracks in a strong, but less prolific year. ‘Oh Superman’ is connected with a personal moment in my life where in that instant, I was completely and utterly at peace and happy. It was like Plato’s Theory of Forms and rather than viewing the shadow cast on the wall, I had actually been captured by the essence of happiness. It was fleeting, but I will never forget it.

It is hard to imagine being 20.

Last edited:
Four Corners is going to be interesting tonight.

With a big chunk of profits going to the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund. Rock and Roll!

Tough day today. Had to go to an internment of ashes of a good mate of mine. I'd known Jeff for 38 years after a fantastic house party (at mine). He'd ridden with a couple of gangs, all who had dissolved or been broken up before I met him. We had a mutual love of music, history and left wing sensibilities. Had fathers in the second world war. He didn't suffer fools and was loyal to his friends. I was gifted his riding leathers by the few members of his family that were there today. Seriously humbling moment.

Cooked dinner to the strains of Led Zeppelin, which is how we bonded in the first place.

Tough day today. Had to go to an internment of ashes of a good mate of mine. I'd known Jeff for 38 years after a fantastic house party (at mine). He'd ridden with a couple of gangs, all who had dissolved or been broken up before I met him. We had a mutual love of music, history and left wing sensibilities. Had fathers in the second world war. He didn't suffer fools and was loyal to his friends. I was gifted his riding leathers by the few members of his family that were there today. Seriously humbling moment.

Cooked dinner to the strains of Led Zeppelin, which is how we bonded in the first place.
That is a tough day Moginie. The price of love is loss. Memories of loved ones are gold.

I had a weird one last week when a friend rang to say another old friend, Sam had died.
There have been many in the last 2 years.
It was told to me 2 weeks after he had died with the funeral been and gone. There had been nothing on the grapevine to say Sam had died or that there was a funeral. I looked up the death notice, which was hard to find, it was there but no funeral announcement and it was all a mystery.
The last time I had seen Sam was at the wake of William Mora last year, where we caught up on a decade as he had moved interstate we reminisced about the scene we had been part of for over 2 decades that was dismantling itself through divorce and death.
Inevitable, should you live a long life but in this day and age of constant communication, I was really sad that I didn't find out until afterwards. No commemoration or even knowing what had happened.
My sister told me the backstory yesterday that she had heard from another, that Sam was in the process of seperating from a long term partner and had dropped dead of a heart attack while watching the Grand Final. That the funeral was organised by his first wife and was one of those occasions where there were 'sides'. Such a pity when that happens and I see now why there was no word at the time, it was 'politicised possession' a rewriting of someones history through exclusion. Shame.

Last edited:
My sister told me the backstory yesterday that she had heard from another, that Sam was in the process of seperating from a long term partner and had dropped dead of a heart attack while watching the Grand Final. That the funeral was organised by his first wife and was one of those occassions where there were 'sides'. Such a pity when that happens and I see now why there was no word at the time, it was 'politicised possession' a rewriting of someones history through exclussion. Shame
That's very sad. And more than a touch vindictive.

Some people love exercising what power they have and more often than not they hurt others whether unintentionally or maliciously.

Have a good one, mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will contribute to the 1982 file soon (if I don't get too distracted) but here's a gem from that year.

If you haven't guessed, I'm a bit of a fan.

Great get.

A Facinating Life:

I will take a dive into the Da Vinci theory.
I am not in the least surprised by the match up in the superimposed image, as it is my experience that people always come from what they know which is themselves in representation. The experience of your own physical body and to an extent human tangiblity is how you then represent the physicality of production.

Last edited:

1982!! As 1972 had been the pivotal year of my life, 1982 is a year that I look back on with huge fondness as I was gifted opportunities that both guided and blessed me for the rest of my life.

I was in year 11 at my white bread all boys school, but armed with my Young Labor membership (complete with fake ID) I was able to get into pubs and get away with it.

It was the year of my entry into the world of "grown up acting". I'd scored a chorus role with the opera company that I'd wanted to be a part of since I was 7 years old. Gilbert & Sullivan's HMS Pinafore may sound twee as twee now, but all the principal roles had contracts with the Australian Opera and I drank in their experience and I knew that's what I wanted to do.

With my fake ID (my best mate who was a year older had one too, so we both exploited it to the hilt) we saw some great bands that year. Hunters & Collectors at the Hopetoun, Hoodoo Gurus and Spectre's Revenge at the Enfield, the Hitmen at St George Budapest Soccer Club, Mondo Rock, The Models, the Allniters, Bring Phillip, Dropbears, Rose Tattoo, so many bands that I remember & so many that I was so pissed that I can't remember.

And this band. In November. And it's the greatest version of this song I've ever heard. I was there that night.

One of the other fortunate moments was that our year 11 music teacher implored us to purchase season tickets to what was called Season 6.30. Classical concerts at the Opera House. We all did. And with my fake ID we all met up at the AS&N Hotel in the Rocks (it's gone now, after the pub closed down it was turned into the local police station. Who'dve thunk that?). I'm indebted to Doug Towner, our teacher, as after the concerts we'd go to the Basement or Phillip's Foote and see Don Burrows or Galapagos Duck. Jazz legends and, once again, I drank it in.

Luck. Good fortune. I had it that year & I'm still so grateful for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back