Universal Love 2. Dylan Grimes Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Grimesy was my absolute favourite. Absolute gun defender. It's a sad day. Legend has it Charlie Cameron still gets spooked out on the ground when the oppo yell out Dylan's coming your way son. 🤩

Grimesy was always one of my favourites, looked like his career might have bombed early what with injury issues etc but turned himself into one of the best backmen in the comp.

All the best in retirement.
Yes champion on and off the field. Played on a range of players from Charlie Cameron to Tom Hawkins and rarely got beaten. All the best Grimesy, you served us well.

brilliant defender. one of the best to wear the guernsey. think he went a year too long but will be long remembered and adored especailly when his hammies were stuffed. a wealthy man apparently. part of our golden era. how we will remember them.

After we lost Rance a lot of people said we were done. Grimes then went on to out Rance Rance and become the No.1 defender in the comp. what an absolute gun. Not many can defend on short or tall . It didn’t matter . He just always had the most dangerous forward unlike a lot of these other protected over rated backs who take a lot of “ intercept marks .”

The way he marshalled that backline when Tross went down will be his legacy. Got the most out of his career and was a pillar of our most successful modern era. Well done champion never forgotten.

For a guy taken in the preseason draft knocked out three flags, co captain, b&f winner and AA.

What a career

Last edited:
So sad. What a champion of the club. I loved how he terrorised Charlie Cameron every time we played the Lions.

Grimsey was one of the most reliable back men we had.

A true Richmond man. Thank you Dylan 🐯

Thank God it's over. What a relief. Should have retired at the end of 2022.

I’m surprised you posted in a retirement thread. Normally you don’t go near them. Of course you only popped in to bag the bloke. Flog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The epitome of a player who did the hard yards and got everything out of himself to achieve everything he could from the game. Hopefully he stays around in some way to be a mentor to some of the younger players

Still criminal he only has 1 AA. Was arguably the best third tall utility type defender in the league for 6-7 years.
No argument about it. He was the best. Then when Rance was injured he was the best defender in the game. Period.

If he wasn't already.

Last edited:
What a great Tiger Player.

Was a great defender for us over the years.

But the time is right, it was sad to see him struggle to get to the same level this year as the level he had played so many years at.

To see his development was extraordinary. He has so many great qualities but RFC were brave too to keep investing in him and what a pay off. We all remember when Dylan first started and he would always spoil. He was so good at it and such amazing closing speed. Over the years he gained confidence and then marked instead of spoil.
I think he would be the fastest 194cm player in AFL history over 30m in his prime. Electric closing speed. Always made good decisions with the ball and played in his limitations. Without doubt in the top 5 defenders of the past 20 years.
He seems an intelligent guy and I am sure he will have a terrific future. What a wonderful player who was so vital to our dynasty. Forever a tiger great.

Close to my favourite player during our dynasty. All the best.
Yep. Me too. Just about the best one on one defender I've ever seen. Big or small, he just destroyed his opponents. At his peak I don't think he was ever beaten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love 2. Dylan Grimes Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back